How do i get more care times

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
I have to get medical treatment and will have appointments soon. I have been telling SW and its just ignored ( as i am not counted as needing help). I don't get enough with DP to cover it as this is just the same as when it started. If i take my husband he could wander off or be confused. He even could refuse to go out as this has now started up as the outside confuses him. What should i do? He can't be left.

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
chip said:
I have to get medical treatment and will have appointments soon. I have been telling SW and its just ignored ( as i am not counted as needing help).

Why are you not counted as needing help?

Have you any relatives or close friends who could either stay at your home with your husband or go to the appointments with you in case your husband is confused.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but hopefully others will be able to point you in the right direction.

Kathleen

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Has your care packet not been reviewed , since it was first set up ?

as this is just the same as when it started

Yes I find that a bit confusing as you said that you don't get enough DP, so must be getting DP Now
I don't get enough with DP to cover it as this is just the same as when it started.

as i am not counted as needing help).

Do you mean Not counted as needing any MORE help ? .

was your husband not in assessment hospital ?

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi chip,

Well why don`t you ask the SW and your GP if they consider your husband fit to be left alone, whilst you attend your appointment.

I was told by an Admiral Nurse, that I shouldn`t leave my husband at home alone, and I think he`s far more able than your husband.

I hope I haven`t upset you by saying this, but your past posts have been heartrending.

It seems you have to fight for every breath.

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
The system isn't being done as it should be here. I have never been listened to ether, anything i say just gets ignored and not acted on. Even if i ask for assesments to be done i get who said its to be done. The crisis team that they have here for emergencies i will not let into the house after what happened the last time i had them and i reported it. To which nothing was done. I have no-one exept a carer i get with the DP. My husband cant be left at all he needs prompting for everthing and wants me 24/7. We have a carer but i have to be here as well, we've tried me going out and my husband has went crazy. GP says its bad they are aware the system is not working here. I ether have a SW that doesn't care or doesn't know the job, or they are very restricted. I still don't no what happened at the meeting i wasn't informed about, and i'm not phoning SW up as i'm not supposed to know it happened which is wrong. Advocacy and i are thinking about turning up at SS office to get answers them taking things from there. All i'm asking for is things to be done right (for once) I will find out.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
i are thinking about turning up at SS office to get answers them taking things from there.

I would say that would be the best idea , then if you still don't get the answer you want or the help you need I would make a formal complaint to the head of social services .

Tell them that you are going to make a written formal complaint , tell them you know your rights .

I did that with an issue I have with my brother & they got they finger out today , they walk all over you if you let them .

I could not believe how they expected me to cope with it all and then could not believe that they listen to me when they phone me up , saying they sort it out

Norman is good at explaining the right way to go around it with complaining in writing if they still don't help you

Last edited:

snowtree

Jun 14, 2007
I am very new to all this and perhaps enormously naieve! Could age concern not help you find someone to sit with him when you go for your appointments? SS sound appalling! Perhaps seek advice from citizens advice bureau as to what help they could give you when dealing with SS..... Gosh i am realising how little help the "carers" get! Steep learning curve going on here.

I am thinking of you :)

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Age concern can't help as he is too young. I've had two phone calls he has had 2 seizures today. Will find out more tomorrow. I've been asked if they should phone me though the night.

DaisyG

Feb 20, 2006
North West England
Hi Chip,

Don't know what is going on in Scotland, but Age Concern CAN help you.
They help us (my husband and I).
Age has no meaning to our Age Concern.
Maybe it's worth a call to an Age Concern Advocacy Worker?

I see no reason why AC have one rule for one part of the country and another one for Scotland.

Good Luck.

Sorry to hear about the fits.

Take Care,

DaisyG

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I have just phoned my local Age Concern Day Centre and spoken to the manager.

She said they cannot accept people with Alzheimers or dementia. This is because, a] they do not have the staff, b] the day Centres are not secure. Age is not an issue.

She knows of one branch in the south east that has opened a special unit for dementia sufferers, but they have to pay £45 per day, because Age Concern is self funding and they have to employ extra staff.

I thought I`d pass this information on, as it seems it has nothing to do with age, but everything to do with money.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
.... and in my part of the world, mum's buddying, day centre and other services are run specifically for dementia sufferers and their carers and is completely funded by Age Concern ....

I think it's worth remembering that 'charitable organisations' whilst appearing to be 'national' organisations are often made up of projects at local level and in theory, driven by identified local area needs and how best to use the funds allocated to them.

It's always worth asking your most local branch (of any organisation which may be expected to run a particular service). Not least, if they do not offer the type of service you need they may be able to point to you, locally, to an organisation who can - (it may also help identify a local need not being met - which with sufficient demand may subsequently secure funding).

Good luck Chip,

Love Karen, x

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Chip,

Situations like yours makes my blood boil. If you did not care for your husband at home, it would be costing Social Services a pretty penny, sometimes they need reminding of this.

I am a firm believer in the power of the pen. Sadly telephone calls can be forgotten, ignored, and even in some instances, all knowledge of, denied.

Personally I would write to your Social Worker, with a copy to your GP. Outline when and why you require help, and what kind of help you require. Please remember to give them a deadline for a reply, (or your letter could be put at the bottom of the pile) keep a copy of your letter.

If you do not hear back within your given time frame, write to the Director of Social Services, enclosing a copy of your original letter, again give a time frame for a reply, I would also send a copy to your MP.

I'm all in favour of giving folk the opportunity to do the right thing, then if they fail, they only have themselves to blame for the consequences. Remember, he who shouts loudest, often wins. Whilst you are willing to struggle on, they will let you.

I sincerely hope you get the help you so rightly deserve.

Best wishes
Cate

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Thanks all for your support. I went into the hospital spent all afternoon with him. Was allowed to look after him as well. He is still recovering from yesterday. I am allowed to bring him home for the day on Sunday as its his birthday.I also got told the day hospital has been trying to contact SW but no reply. They are keeping him in until i can get things sorted so i want SW wages for doing all the work. I'm phoning up the direct payment team to find out if there is problems. If there isn't i will ask why i've not been getting the proper needs my husband now needs as i've been asking the SW. We now have to just wait and see how much the seizures have affected him this time. He is still not aware and speech is worse.