Fixation with watch & time

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
MIL has a fixation with her watch and time. If we go out she looks at her watch every few minutes and seems to 'dock' the time each thing takes

Could this be because she does not know the day, date, month or year? Is it her only way of having normality???

MReader

Apr 30, 2011
essex
My husband is the same but goes as far as writing down the time that things happen - although he doesn't make a note of what the event was & gets cross when I don't know what he meant

When he gets into bed , during the day for a nap & at night, he writes down these times also so he can see how long he slept

Heffy2ky

Jul 11, 2013
MIL has a fixation with her watch and time. If we go out she looks at her watch every few minutes and seems to 'dock' the time each thing takes

Could this be because she does not know the day, date, month or year? Is it her only way of having normality???

My dads the same if he has to be back by a certain time he constantly watches time and still wants to be back half hour early I wondered about reason too

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Time line - losing ones sense of time

I remember in a nostalgic way when Mum was fixated with watches. Every watch we got her she broke within days. It either got wet. Or she fiddled with knobs until it just died of confusion. I would think we bought close on 20 watches two years ago.

Within two days she would come and tell my husband (an old watch and clock fanatic and fixer) that something must be wrong as it isn't working. We believed her, In retrospect I now believe she was losing her ability to read the time.

Now Mum has lost all interest in clocks and watches. When her alarm clock goes off I know she thinks it is the telephone ringing.To tell the time she either listens to her stomach or looks at the sky.

Mum's world has sadly narrowed down to two times. Bed time with constant monitoring of windows to see if it is 'Up time', and eating time.

I believe the behaviours you are referring to are symptoms of a brain struggling to make sense of time, to use time as a means of making sense of certain events, and it must be so frustrating for them. How scary to inhabit a world where even a clock doesn't work like it used to.

Just some thoughts, BE

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryMc086