Incontinence - Chair Pads, Protective bed sheets, etc.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
My mother has gone into respite and, while there, has become incontinent. When she comes home I need to be prepared with protective pads for armchairs, bed, etc. Can anyone advise me where to buy the cheapest of the best, i.e. most protective products? I have been given the name Driline - does anyone else use them? Also, I will need to buy those net knickers that hold the pads. Any advice on these?

The incontinence nurse will be visiting once Mum comes home. In the mean time, can anyone tell me what cream/wipes I should use for toileting?

I would be very grateful for any replies.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
Nita Incontinence choice is a good website to use. They sell many products.

I use waterproof chair covers, they are washable.

I use mats by the bed which are washable ( I got them from Wilkinsons)

I use quilted waterproof half sheets with flaps to tuck in. They are washable

I use Oasis bed bath wipes to clean my husband. They come in packs of 10 . I only use one in the morning and whenever I change him. They are a bit coold though, You can microwave the package, to give a full bed bath but I just use one at a time and I use them cold.

You can buy " fixation" pants which keep the pads in place, You may very well get them on prescription from the continence clinic, as well as pads.

I have moved my husband on to pull up pants as every time he tries to go to toilet he folds the pads down and then they become useless as the urine goes on the outside so goes through his clothes. The pull ups are not available through our continence service so I have to buy them . there are various websites you can go to

I have waterproof duvet cover under the normal cover, I have pillow protectors too as urine can spread everywhere. Also a terry towelling waterproof mattress cover wich is also washable.

It is quite an outlay at the beginning but very necessary.

If you google incontinence products you will find various websites. . Yesterday I started to use one called allanda .

I alternate with creams, sometimes just Aqueoscream from boots, sometimes sudacrem, sometimes a spray called dermamist, depends on whether there is a rash or not.

Jeannette

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Nita

I found B--ts online and Am---n pretty good. Also for wiping I looked 0n Eb-y and found And--x toilet wipes which are great as they are soft and flushable.

As Jeannette has said make sure you get towelling/waterproof mattress cover with sides as urine can drip down the sides of mattresses. Also waterproof pillow protectors are great as it can go everywhere.

Try to get the towelling/waterproof duvet protector as there are some which are a bit like paper/plastic and they make loads of noise when you turn over in bed.

Good luck

Lyn T

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I got a couple of pairs bed protectors from M&Co, they have plastic type stuff on the back and terry nappy like material on the front, they fit the bed perfectly as they have elasticated sides and don't move and was/ dry very easily, can't remember the price offhand but they weren't expensive.
I use vagisil toilet wipes for mum when she has poo accidents.

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Sorry you're having to contend with this new development Nita, it's a problem all of us dread arising as the level of care required does increase a fair bit as a result. Hope it's just urinary incontinence.

Age UK have an incontinence shop and you can purchase a number of products eg. bed pads there, they dispatch very quickly: http://www.ageukincontinence.co.uk/browse/bed-pads-4208/

We never found the mesh pants very good so always purchased Depend Pull Up Pants which you can get from Boots, http://www.boots.com/en/Depend/Depend-incontinence-pants/Depend-incontinence-pants-for-women/. Inside the pants we used the pads that were supplied through the NHS continence service. Once your mum is assessed they will decide which absorbency is best, in the meantime if you have to purchase, others might better be able to advise.

Finally we used Andrex moist toilet wipes and zinc and castor oil, although there are probably cheaper wipes on the market, many supermarkets do their own brand.

Very best of luck.

Last edited:

withy

Feb 23, 2013
Lancashire
Hi Nita,
When comparing products on the internet, check the absorbency rates. I got the washable bed pads with wings with the highest absorbency. I didnt like the pants to hold pads, OH complained they still felt wet after I had changed his pad. The pull up pants on the other hand feel dry even when wet, and leak less. I have some of the Oasis wipes too they are nice and big, but last time hubby got the runs I used baby wipes and they were brilliant and cheaper. Also cleaned the vynil floor. I remember our daughter saying they were good for cleaning up baby (and children) accidents and spills on carpets. When buying chair pads check the size as well as several would not fit our chairs.
Hope you get fixed up. XX

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Thanks to everyone who replied - you have given me some ideas as to where to go to get things. I am not sure what to do about bed protection though as Mum has an airflow mattress which is wipe clean. I have a terry towelling mattress protector but I don't think it would fit over the airflow. I also have one of those rather "crackly" mattress protectors which might be big enough to go over if it would be any use? I had these before when Mum had an ordinary mattress and occasionally had accidents but luckily at that time they never got wet. I was hoping to save the sheets which might be impossible! Can you buy bed protection disposable or washable sheets which go over the cotton ones?

donnamh1987

Jul 15, 2013
Nita- please call your go and get ahold if a district nurse to come and do a pads assessment pronto !

You should not be forking out for pads left right and centre , I know they will only supply the normal ones but still better than nothing and might be able to help with Inco sheets for bed and chair xx

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
Nita even with all the protection I use I have to strip my husbands bed every day.

Duvet cover, pillow cases, sheets, and of course pyjamas.

My husband is a restless sleeper, and often moves the pad /pants about so leaks occur every night.

Jeannette

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I get everything from Completecareshop.co.uk. They have a fantastic range of stuff and are very quick to deliver. And you don't have to pay VAT if you are buying for someone that has a long term health condition apparently - so they told me anyway.