Simvastatin and alzheimers anyone had any experience?

sarahp

Feb 23, 2013
Hi all,

Just wandered if anyone has had any experience with simvastatin and alzheimers. When mum first started with ebixa/ memantin for her alzheimers and we started to up the dose from 10mg to 15 then to 20, her confusion got a lot worse. And when she refused to take all of her tablets the next day I noticed she was not as confused. We put it down to the increase in ebixa/memantin. So with these findings the memory clinic decided it was best to stay at the 10mg dose. But It has only just dawned on me years later that she started to take the simvastatin at the same time as the increase and the other night Mum only took the memanrin and not the simvastatin and the next day she was not as confused. So I have just looked simvastatin and alzheimers up on google and i read it can cause memory loss and confusion, I'm now wandering if this may be the cause and not the memantin at all. Anyone else had any experience of this, we are going to the dr on Wednesday and will bring it up with him. Thanks for reading Sarah x

juniepoonie

Jun 11, 2013
essex
hi not sure if that's the connection but wanted to put you back at the top so maybe someone will see your post an have an answer for you. though in my experience they all have strange side effects one way or another. good luck Wednesday. I would stop simvastatin till you see doc so you have a better idea. wont hurt mum for few days. juniepoonie.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
My husband was put on simvastatin in 2000 .

He first showed signs of dementia in 2008.

Simvastatin was stopped a few months ago, because he is terminally ill with prostate cancer and he was refusing his tablets. So GP said to stop them as it was causing him distress.

If anything my husband has got worse since then, there certainly has been no improvement.

So I do not personally think it has caused the dementia in my husband or helped now that he is no longer taking them.

This of course is just one person and my own personal opinion.

Jeannette

sarahp

Feb 23, 2013
Hi thanks

Yeah I'm not sure if its just coincidence or if it is the memantine or the both together, but there is definitely a difference when she doesn't have any tablets or missing the simvastatin. Tonight she has been really bad and she has just started a tablet for a fungal infection in her nails so I'm also wandering about them now too! Although I know that that's just the illness too just ups and downs and maybe just coincidence. Will have a chat with him Wednesday and will post outcome. Good idea junie and your so right they do all seem to affect in different ways and i also think this heat does too although im not complaining! so sorry to hear about your husband rajahh! Thoughts to the borh of you! xx thanks all.

Jel

Mar 23, 2013
Dorset
Symvastatin

Hi Sarahp

The memory consultant thought there might be a connection with Simvastatin and my OH's memory loss so our GP told me to stop giving it to him for a couple of months to see if there was any difference. I personally think he has become worse since stopping the pill, his memory has almost completely gone and he gets so angry at all sorts of unimportant things. I don't know whether this is a natural decline but will be seeing the GP next week to talk it over as this could also be something to do with the galantamine (Reminyl) that he is also taking.

Would he be better without any medication, I do not know.

All the best

JEL

sarahp

Feb 23, 2013
Hi jel

Hi Jel, I know it's sometimes so hard to know if its just natural horrible decline or reactions to tablets. I don't think the doctors flipping know! I have also considered if she would be better without, that's what I think I will suggest to the dr on wed! Sorry to hear about your OH! my mum does get angry but its easy to calm her down but her thing is crying, she cries all the time about silly things , she has cried for 2 days unconsolably about her cat, who is fine by the way apart from being wrapped up in blankets and cradled in this heat!!!! When i ask her why are you crying about him he is fine, because she loves him!! Or she thinks hes been run over but he hasnt! The poor thing looks at me with desperate eyes! Then the next minute in hysterics of laughter over something not funny, but that I don't mind!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynt68