It's over

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
I have come back and forth to TP since 2004 when my mother was diagnosed with the disease, she died in 2005 then my father took it in 2008. As a carer my life has been nightmarish at times, especially when I was coping with a doubly incontinent father with no help while raising a baby. My darling father passed away last week, the nightmare is finally over for him. It was a terribly drawn out death that went on for months, he could no longer speak, move and in the end lost the ability to swallow, effectively my father starved to death he was unrecognisable when this disease finished with him, frankly so am I. I'm worn out and know I will never be the same again since this monster came into our lives.
This disease almost destroyed me as it devoured both my parents and I stood by helplessly watching it. My heart is sore and heavy but I will continue to raise awareness through my newspaper column and my charity book for Alzheimer's.
Thank you to everyone who has helped and advised me over the years on TP, there was no where else to go sometimes and you saved my sanity on many an occasion letting me know I wasn't alone.
I salute all of you carers still fighting in the front line, you are all heroes.
R.I.P mummy and daddy.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I salute all of you carers still fighting in the front line, you are all heroes.
R.I.P mummy and daddy.

You are the biggest hero Miagmac. Such a heartbreaking post. I hope you will start to recover your health. Take your time and be kind to yourself.

Please accept my sympathy.

Love from Lyn T

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Mjaqmac, I am sorry to read your sad news about your dad. My sincere condolences.

turbo

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
As Lyn T says, a heartbreaking post. I wish it could be made compulsory reading for all politicians, starting with Jeremy Hunt MP.
I agree that you are a hero Miaqmac.
Please accept my sympathies also.

littlegem

Nov 11, 2010
north Wales
So sorry to hear about your lovely Dad and Mum
You have done a brilliant job coping with two parents with AZ.
God bless you.
xx

uselessdaughter

Jun 8, 2009
West Country
So sorry to hear your news. You and your poor Dad have been through so much. He is now free and I hope you will soon be able to start having a little time for yourself and your family without this awful disease constantly in the background affecting everything you do.

Linda

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I'm so sorry for your devastating loss. It seems beyond cruel to suffer this with both parents, and I can understand completely your exhaustion. This disease is responsible for ravaging entire families, it takes all in its wake. I'm also so sorry your Dad's passing was so traumatic, but I hope you can start to let go of that pain now that he's free from his pain.

I hope you can start the journey to recovery and regain all you've lost, slowly making your way back to the world. There is still joy to be found, don't let dementia rob you of that joy.

Stephanie, xxx

Farmergirl

May 24, 2011
Cornwall
I think you very eloquently put the sentiments that a lot of us feel, and am glad you will continue to write. Thank you.

Its is a cruel devouring monster, and we should all rightly be afraid of it. Your parents are freed of this now, and hopefully you are too, although I quite understand that the road to recovery for you will be a long one. Take care, and thank you again.

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Oh my goodness..... your post is absolutely heart-rending.
As the others say, you are a hero, battle weary, heart-sore, you feel scarred for life, but ask any solider coming back from the horrors of war: real heros are unsung heros.

I found it distressing to read all you have been through. First a mother, then a second stint, and a long one as you walked the Dementia Walk side by side with your Dad. And with a baby.

My sincere hope for you is that you find your balance now, a gentle balance, where good health, friendships, love, satisfaction, peace and so many of the ordinary good things you have had to miss out on, fill your life.

Of course it will take time to get over this. I shall hold you in my heart and send you pulses of healing. You have done your Mum and Dad proud. Now they are together in a dementia-free zone (and without knowing god, I feel certain of this), and they will be shining their light and love down on you.

Many, many blessings Mjaqmac and Better Times Ahead for you, BE

P.S. Don't be a stranger now your carer days are over. You can still share how your personal recovery from double tragedy unfolds!

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
I'm so sorry, Mjaqmac, your post brought tears to my eyes. What a lot you've had to deal with, and now this sadness too.

I would like to know more about your charity book and your newspaper column, if you have chance to post.

With very best wishes xx

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Dear Mjaqmac
So sorry to hear of your loss and also that your dad's passing wasn't easy. Am sure there are no words adequate to encapsulate what it's been like for you to have witnessed and cared for both of your parents struck down with this illness. Having one parent suffer is dreadful enough but two is unimaginable. Please take time now to heal and slowly rebuild your life. Raising awareness through your writing will help many others, and hope will also be therapeutic for you. Go well and look after yourself. Px

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
I'm so sorry, Mjaqmac, your post brought tears to my eyes. What a lot you've had to deal with, and now this sadness too.

I would like to know more about your charity book and your newspaper column, if you have chance to post.

With very best wishes xx

Hello, I write for a Northern Irish Newspaper, but my book is available on Amazon, it's called; 'They Can't take that away from me' published by Accent Press. The introduction is the story of my parents Alzheimer's journey and what it was like to be their carer. The rest of the book is made up of over 200 A-list celebrities telling what special song evokes a memory for them. The reason for this was because although my father couldn't speak he began to cry when he heard Moonlight Serenade, my parent's special love song, I knew then the music was evoking memories for my father and had the idea of compiling lots of musical memories to help those who have lost their memories. Every penny of my earnings from the book goes to The Alzheimer's Society. Thanks for asking about it.

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Thank you everyone for your condolences. It's such a very difficult time as many of you will know, I'm just raw at the moment.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan