General Comments linked with FAD

TR1985

Jul 8, 2013
Hi All,

I have finally decided it was time to do a little bit of research into FAD; highly likely this runs in my family with both my grandmother and now my dad and auntie being diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Whilst I have always been fully aware of the link and do think about it regularly I cope reasonably well. I.E nothing is set in stone, destiny, hope etc. I do not want any testing done,certainly not at this young age (27) but might consider in my early 40s.

But I do want to ensure that I have my family set up incase the worst should happen, We have recently bought a house and I was looking into getting mortgage cover. I have a separate life insurance through my work that covers me for Alzheimer's although they have not asked for any family history.

Having got a quote for the mortgage companies increased my premium and omitted Alzheimer's from the cover. Whilst I understand the increased risk , I did become a little angry, frustrated but it has probably lead me to finally getting a couple answers. I assume others have had this and wondered if anyone can point me in the direction of companies that do offer cover for those with an increased risk? Also, can anyone confirm what happens to my pension should I get diagnosed before the retirement age?

I also want to consider attending any support groups, both for those affected by family with the disease/high risk people and potentially to raise awareness etc.

Thanks for listening and giving me a place to post and finally let a small amount of my feelings out.

TR

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Having got a quote for the mortgage companies increased my premium and omitted Alzheimer's from the cover. Whilst I understand the increased risk , I did become a little angry, frustrated but it has probably lead me to finally getting a couple answers. I assume others have had this and wondered if anyone can point me in the direction of companies that do offer cover for those with an increased risk? Also, can anyone confirm what happens to my pension should I get diagnosed before the retirement age?

Hi don’t anything about life insurance because I never bothered with life insurance however as regards your pension I was diagnosed at age of 57 and continued working until my retirement age 65 I have been retired 5 years now and my company pension isn’t effected in any way I wonder why you thought it might be

Barney18

Jan 5, 2011
Essex
My hubby was diagnosed at 50 and was able to claim his work pension early on the grounds of ill health