Father with dementia, trying to transfer BT into mother's name!!

majorblue15

Feb 4, 2013
Derbyshire
Having rung BT,about swapping the landline account from dads name into mums name, I feel a little stressed!!
They cannot swap the account so my mum now has to set up an account from scratch on her own, at the same address with the same number and without keeping any of the same tarriff that she was on because it doesn't exist!!
E-on was totally different, lovely woman, very helpful and very easy to swap account into mums name.
I was hoping I could easily do this or at least most of it and keep mum stress free at the same time!!

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
Funnily enough I did this successfully online. I set dads BT account up to be managed online (by me) then logged in and changed the name of the account holder to mum. She now gets all the bills sent to her in her name

XXXX

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
I tried for seven years to get bt ti change the bill from my deceased grandfathers name to my nan's. When the house was sold and i thus time went online to notify them they asked for no proof of the death, or my attorneyship, but sent a refund chq in my name instead of my nan's i think they are pretty clueless!

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Talking Point mobile app

Lancshiker

Apr 17, 2013
If you're only being given an option to start from scratch (utter nonsense!) then maybe you could consider moving to another provider. Most of the BT charge is line rental and if not many calls are being made from the line there are other providers who do call only tariffs and that would allow you to set up the account in ehoever's name you think appropriate.

majorblue15

Feb 4, 2013
Derbyshire
I also manage their account online but at the point where it says 'change the name of the account holder' it gives options like marriage, divorce, moving home and other. When you click on other, it gives you a telephone number to ring as they cannot do this online. Perhaps I should see if a threat of leaving them is enough or maybe just leave anyway. Why do they make things so complicated!!It's not as if we haven't got enough to think about!!

RobertE

Jan 10, 2008
Changing account name

Having rung BT,about swapping the landline account from dads name into mums name, I feel a little stressed!!
They cannot swap the account so my mum now has to set up an account from scratch on her own, at the same address with the same number and without keeping any of the same tarriff that she was on because it doesn't exist!!
E-on was totally different, lovely woman, very helpful and very easy to swap account into mums name.
I was hoping I could easily do this or at least most of it and keep mum stress free at the same time!!

When my mum went into care and I wanted to change the account into my name BT asked for the original LPA (well that was never leaving my safekeeping and I told them so). Eventually, after many more phone calls explaining the situation over and over (because of course you never speak to the same person twice) they agreed to close mum's account and re-open one in my name. Oh and I was assured that, as we had lived at the property for over 30 years I could keep the same number. Great, thought I, no hassle informing people of the change!

So the account was closed and re-opened and I then had a temporary number. But when I rang to ask about changing back to the original number I was informed that I should never have been advised that would happen because once an account is closed that number is immediately available for re-use!

It took five weeks, three temporary numbers and endless frustrating phone calls before my original number and I were reunited.

Who would think that such a simple request could be so difficult?

flowerpot

Jul 27, 2010
Rural North Northumberland
When my Dad died my Mam had a right bother with BT they eventually agreed to change the Mr to Mrs as the initial was the same so of course was the surname :confused::rolleyes: Thankfully she didn't need to cancel anything it all carried on as before!

ITBookworm

Oct 26, 2011
Glasgow
I'm not sure how we managed it (the lawyer did it for us) but Hubby recently took over his Dad's account (FIL passed away) and retained the number. We got a letter confirming that "they had received 'our letter' and changed the entry in the telephone directory" :rolleyes::confused::rolleyes: We had already gone online and changed it so that any bills came out of our account and that hasn't been changed.

As long as they don't start being awkward and wanting FIL's signature when we sell the house we should be OK (although if they manage a word with FIL hubby wants one too to complain about the amount of "stuff" left in the garage :eek: :D)

majorblue15

Feb 4, 2013
Derbyshire
Thanks for that, I'm going to ring both BT and E-on tomorrow to try and get this sorted out. So watch out monday afternoon for any 'stressed out' postings!!

Fed Up

Aug 4, 2012
Making life easier it ain't

At least you haven't had the Gas Board as well. It took 3 months and several phone calls to sort them out. Was put in writing and still they asked questions and I simply wanted to pay her final bill. Joke was the meter needed reading and they asked me to do it I said why I'm not your customer am I!!!!

Even then after paying the end bill I had another bill as they had not put the new property owner name on another account.

Can now see the funny side at the time I had steam coming out of my ears, hard work without all the rest of the problems. I was told it was about fraud intervention I laughed and said OK but I'm accepting her liability to settle her accounts. So are you intending to defraud me ? JOBSWORTHS !!!!

mrsf

Jul 7, 2013
bt

I tried for seven years to get bt ti change the bill from my deceased grandfathers name to my nan's. When the house was sold and i thus time went online to notify them they asked for no proof of the death, or my attorneyship, but sent a refund chq in my name instead of my nan's i think they are pretty clueless!

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Talking Point mobile app
BT cut off my fathers phone despite being given my contact no for problems with bill paying. Trying to speak to someone to try and sort it out was a nightmare so sympathise with anyone trying to deal with BT