Credit/Debit Cards.

Tornado

Jun 24, 2013
My Mum has mild Alzheimer. She is having problems with the pin number on her Lloyds Debit Card and has managed to block it twice recently. The pin number is my deceased Dads year of birth and despite a note in her purse to remind her of this she still forgets. I know the number she keeps using is 1471, BT Callback! Should l change it to this? I know l can put a note in her purse with the callback and voicemail numbers and label them as such so that a casual observer would think that's all they are,. What have others done barring getting them to give up cards? Thanks in advance.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I know someone (fifimo maybe?) put a note in her mother's purse that said "I owe Fiona £79.57" (with 7957 being the pin number).

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Would that not confuse a person more thinking they owed someone money, I used to do it in the form of a telephone number with the last 4 being the PIN.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Oddly enough its the one thing that Mum does remember, but she has difficulty swiping her card, pushing the buttons in the right order.
Not sure if the UK is like New Zealand but it seems every store has a different brand EFTPOS terminal which just confuses Mum even more.
Helps that I know her PIN.... shhhhhh don't tell anyone, I work for a bank too ;)

I give Mum regular pocket money now and she rarely uses her card unless I am there with her.
I think come the day where she forgets completely it will be quite upsetting for her.
Dad has always been a technophobe and has never ever had any type of card.
Mum has always lorded the fact over him.

Does the UK have cards that have the Visa/Mastercard paypass facility , where you don't even put in a PIN, you just tap it on the terminal and it charges your card or account automatically if it is under a limit of GBP50?
In this case it could be handy for your Mum, although at the same time the card has to be reported ASAP if lost or stolen.

Last edited:

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I have got a pay as you go debit card not connected to a bank account its by orange but there are lots of others available
Mine has the touch facility and some shops are now getting in the terminals to allow this
as well as a pin number and you can top it up in various places but if you do it at the orange (EE) shop its free.
Hope this might help a bit
Sarah

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
MIL was having terrible problems with her debit card so it was removed from her and she was given cash. Now however she has no money as we pay for everything. She was getting very anxious about her money going 'missing' and would rage around the house looking for it as she had hidden it somewhere! I think she has £2 in her purse now but she never produces money anyway as she has us

Lancshiker

Apr 17, 2013
Would it be possible to maybe arrange online shopping for her which you could order yourself for delivery to her and just make small amounts of cash available for individual purchases? I think some of the sites have facilities to order the same items every time so hopefully it wouldn't be too much extra hassle.

Resigned

Feb 23, 2010
Wiltshire
Whilst my mum had 'control' over her money she was always worrying about how much she had and fretting about getting cash out (which always went missing when she got back home with it).

Once we took over all the financial side of things, and she went into a CH, she forgot all about money immediately. She's never mentioned it once in the three years she's been there.

Its very odd.

R

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Hi Resigned

We found the same, when we took the money away from MIL she never mentions it now as if it does not exist. Much better than the panic she got in before

LizzieT

Apr 10, 2013
We got a lloyds bank card that came up in machines in shops as sign only- like the old days). There was a pin number but you didn't need it. Sadly didn't work in the cash point but they only swallowed my dads card anyway!
My fathers local branch were really helpful.