Difficulty Swallowing

grannyjanny

Sep 20, 2009
United Kingdom
My husband was diagnosed 9 years ago with frontal lobe dementia and he is now having difficulty swallowing that he aspirates occasionally, does anyone have any advice for me on how to cope with this new challenge I have to face

gillou

Jun 9, 2013
France
I know this problem only too well. In late stage dementia problems swallowing are very common. Nothing much can prevent it as the brain is losing control of coordination and your husband will be swallowing food and liquids and trying to breathe at the same time. You can't stop this happening altogether but you can limit this by not talking while he is drinking, so as he concentrates on drinking rather then replying to you and also make sure he is sitting bolt upright before eating and drinking.
We find drinking through a straw helps, and also cutting food up in to tiny pieces. You can buy gelified water from boots, and if the problem persists you may want to liquidize solid food. Speak to your GP who maybe able to suggest some tips or else I would pay a visit to your local nursing home. They will be very used to dealing with this as parkinsons sufferers often have the same problem.

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Have you had a Speech and Language referral? Mum's SALT therapist made out a sheet of advice for Mum's carers to follow, with lots of advice about suitable foods.

She also said Mum had to sit at 90 degrees or as close as possible to eat.

We had to check Mum cleared her mouth before the next spoonful. Sometimes check for 2 swallows to be sure.

We investigated liquid meds (you might have to push quite hard for these, I am not sure why!)

We thought it was important to post the advice on a sheet blu tacked to the wall behind Mum's bed so that everyone would see it.

Good luck xx

grobertson62

Mar 7, 2011
Sheffield
When dad had his first strokes he lost the ability to swallow..the SALT team were great
He had to have thickened drinks..with something called thick and easy
I hope you get sorted
Gill