Doctor’s medical certificate – Coroners office

Chris Edgerton

Oct 22, 2003
Warwick District
Mother after being diagnosed with Alzheimer’s over 15 years ago type dementia recently passed away.
Doctor’s medical certificate says Cardio Vascular Accident CVA with Alzheimer’s.
I do not agree with this, and asked coroners office to investigate, however corners office say the will not take any action.
My mothers Cardio Vascular Accident CVA issues started when in residential care, I believe through drugs used. Did ask a doctor on a number of times for a consultants review, but was refused.
But the end was I believe was due to the Liverpool Care Pathway type which I was not consulted on, dehydration and food intake has been an issue, from my observations because of the pour skills in the care staff I believe, i.e. wrong position to swallow, to many cushions and low down in the bed to be able to swallow.
But main question, anybody know what to do if coroners is satisfied that no investigation is required, what /who can I go to next?

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Hi Chris

Really sorry to read your post.

Had a similar situation with my FIL when he died in March this year. His death certificate read " Dementia - Alzheimers Type" as the cause of death. The fact that he was projectile vomiting blood (sorry for the graphic discription) just prior to death points to a gastic bleed. My husband and I viewed this cause of death purely lazy reporting on the part of the doctor (who gets around £75 just for signing the certificate!!). We did not take it further as we felt nothing would change the outcome.

However in your Mothers case - am I right you are looking at possible negligence? You could start with an official complaint to the home (ask for a copy of their complaint procedure first - they have to have one). and go from there. You can as a seperate issue under the NHS complaint procedure make a complaint about the doctor and or hospital if you want to do that and am attaching a link for the website: www.nhs.uk/choiceinthenhs/rightsandpledges/complaints/Pages/AboutNHScomplaints.aspx

You can of course engage a solicitor to act on your behalf, but as we all know it can be costly, which I am sure puts many off.

I have to say I am amazed the doctor at the home/hospital felt he could refuse your request for a second opinion - it is something under the terms of the NHS we are all entitled to.

I wish you luck with this and please let us know how you get on.

:) xx

Mother after being diagnosed with Alzheimer’s over 15 years ago type dementia recently passed away.
Doctor’s medical certificate says Cardio Vascular Accident CVA with Alzheimer’s.
I do not agree with this, and asked coroners office to investigate, however corners office say the will not take any action.
My mothers Cardio Vascular Accident CVA issues started when in residential care, I believe through drugs used. Did ask a doctor on a number of times for a consultants review, but was refused.
But the end was I believe was due to the Liverpool Care Pathway type which I was not consulted on, dehydration and food intake has been an issue, from my observations because of the pour skills in the care staff I believe, i.e. wrong position to swallow, to many cushions and low down in the bed to be able to swallow.
But main question, anybody know what to do if coroners is satisfied that no investigation is required, what /who can I go to next?

Last edited:

Chris Edgerton

Oct 22, 2003
Warwick District
Sorry, the point I was trying to make was the doctor signed the medical certificate which meant no action would be taken be the coroner.
I asked the coroner’s office to take action on my concerns, but the coroner did not feel that the cause of death was an issue, so did not make a coroner’s report.
So my issue is if the coroner refuses to open the case to have a coroner’s report. What could I do?

Chris Edgerton

Oct 22, 2003
Warwick District
Coroner say doctors medical certificate OK

Oh Boy
Only action is judicial review – thousands of pounds for a minimum of half day at High Court – no chance
Only option to complain about police lack of action and coroners lack of action once body cremated JUSTICE?

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I'm so sorry things didn't go how you would have wished. You could go via the GMC about the fact you were not happy at the conduct of the Dr in not asking for a PM in light of events that took place.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar