Have you ever written your experiences down?

JonathanG

Jun 28, 2013
I am new to the forum and a carer for my grandmother who has two forms of dementia. Watching her steady and rapid decline has been difficult and heartbreaking.
As a way of coping day to day I have taken to writing short stories about my experiences. Does anyone else do this?

I am putting together an anthology of short stories and poems that I hope to self publish as an e-book for Kindle. All proceeds will go towards the Alzheimer's Society.
The only rules are that each piece must be under 1000 words and incorporate the subject of dementia.

I have set up a Facebook page to promote it; https://www.facebook.com/ForgetMeNotFlashFictionPage
Click the link for guidelines and contact details.
Deadline for submissions: 30th September 2013

Any and all are welcome so if you know anyone who might be interested please spread the word.

In my role as a carer over the last 18 months I have been startled by the amount of funding being withdrawn from various services for carers and service users. It seems they rely more and more on charitable donations to keep going. That's why I'm putting together this book to give something back.

I'm looking forward to hearing from all you budding writers!

Last edited:

60's child

Apr 23, 2013
suffolk
Hi JohnathonG
What a lovely thoughtful idea. My head is stuffed with ideas but I have never been very good and putting things down on paper....... Will certainly have a look at your page though. There are many people on here who write very eloquent posts so I am sure you will get some input from TP.
Good luck
Dee x

Pennie

Jun 16, 2013
Somerset
Hi Jonathan,

Brilliant idea!
Any chance of a link though, because I am struggling to find it...I have some ideas but would probably need editing as I am hopeless at expressing myself properly :eek:

Many thanks and good luck :)

JonathanG

Jun 28, 2013
Hi JohnathonG
What a lovely thoughtful idea. My head is stuffed with ideas but I have never been very good and putting things down on paper....... Will certainly have a look at your page though. There are many people on here who write very eloquent posts so I am sure you will get some input from TP.
Good luck
Dee x

Thank you, Dee.

I have been touched and inspired by many posts on here. Some are written so very well that I think people who aren't directly involved in dementia would benefit from reading them. It can only help to advance awareness of the condition.

I'll look forward to your first submission ;)

Jonathan

JonathanG

Jun 28, 2013
Hi Jonathan,

Brilliant idea!
Any chance of a link though, because I am struggling to find it...I have some ideas but would probably need editing as I am hopeless at expressing myself properly :eek:

Many thanks and good luck :)

I'm afraid because I'm new to the forum I can't post an actual link yet. Maybe after a few more posts. I'll revise the original post when I'm allowed to post links.

For now, try this with the spaces taken out: facebook . com / ForgetMeNotFlashFictionPage

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
there is a very large gap between People Who have Dementia” and “People Living With Dementia” what are you after here stories of person who looks after a person with Dementia Or stories of people living their daily lives with a diagnoses of Dementia, believe me there is a big difference with seeing it from the outside and seeing it from the inside

JonathanG

Jun 28, 2013
there is a very large gap between People Who have Dementia” and “People Living With Dementia” what are you after here stories of person who looks after a person with Dementia Or stories of people living their daily lives with a diagnoses of Dementia, believe me there is a big difference with seeing it from the outside and seeing it from the inside

Hello Tony

I'm not making distinctions either way, as I'm opening the book up to as many different experiences regarding the condition as possible. As a carer I can only view it from one direction, but a contribution from the other viewpoint would be fantastic.

It can be a real life experience, it can be fiction, poetry, a diary excerpt. Anything that highlights an aspect of dementia to raise awareness and further understanding to those who aren't involved with it on a daily basis.

I hope that helps.

JonathanG

Jun 28, 2013
Very exciting, we've received our first submissions!
I really believe this is going to be fantastic project.

Pennie

Jun 16, 2013
Somerset
Hi Jonathan,
I have just shared that wonderful poem on my fb, hope that is ok and I have invited a friend to have a look at your site too.

I'm afraid I am useless at writing and actually can't think of a way to even start, but hopefully this will bump this thread up for you. It would have been so much more effective and easier to find if it wasn't tucked away in this fundraising area though, shame :rolleyes:

JonathanG

Jun 28, 2013
Hi Jonathan,
I have just shared that wonderful poem on my fb, hope that is ok and I have invited a friend to have a look at your site too.

I'm afraid I am useless at writing and actually can't think of a way to even start, but hopefully this will bump this thread up for you. It would have been so much more effective and easier to find if it wasn't tucked away in this fundraising area though, shame :rolleyes:

Hello Pennie
Many thanks for your efforts in spreading the word about our project.
We have had quite a few submissions now but we're always looking for more.
All skill levels have contributed, its very exciting.
Hopefully as we keep plugging away with Facebook and Twitter ( @FMNFiction ) updates we can encourage others to share.
Thanks again

JonathanG

Jun 28, 2013
We have received some wonderful submissions for the anthology so far.
Its very exciting to see everyone's individual takes on the theme.

We have had poetry, diary entries, comedies, tragedies, some even from the viewpoint of pets!

All standards of writing are accepted, and we can provide editing for anyone concerned their writing might not be good enough.

The most important thing is sharing your experiences, raising awareness of the impact this terrible illness has on friends and family as well as the individual.

Please spread the word, pass it on.