Final journey

A15

Mar 15, 2011
Cheshire
My dad passed away yesterday tea time. The cheyne stokes breathing changed not longer after mum left to have a bite to eat, my husband was sat with dad at the time. dad passed peacefully with a family member to hold his hand. we are so grateful dad waited until all his children had got together and able to say our goodbyes. I saw dad afterwards too. peaceful.
Despite a run of terrible episodes and sectioning over the last few weeks, the last visit with dad thurs/fri (to the mental health hospital where he was staying on some new meds memetaine), he was up and about was happy and content, he enjoyed a game of dominoes, actually hugged me and knew who i was (he didn't normally), when mum visited he kissed her and said goodbye when she left, which was a first for mum in such a long time. Perhaps he knew these where his last physical moments, we are so glad we have a final happy memory to cherish.
Thanks all for help in obtaining ChC for dad, advice on care homes and listening to my general ranting about this bloody awful disease, x

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Dear A15

I'm so sorry but glad your Dad was peaceful at the end.

Condolences and sympathy to you and your family.

Take care

Lyn T

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello A15, I am sorry to read your sad news about your dad. My sincere condolences to you and your family.

turbo

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Dear A15,

I'm sorry to hear your sad news about your dad, but so pleased for you and your family that there were some good moments towards the end, and that he was peaceful and had your husband with him so that you all know it was as good as it could be.

Sending you strength to cope with the days ahead, and your family too xxx

60's child

Apr 23, 2013
suffolk
Dear A15
So sorry you lost your Dad. So very hard to deal with but sending you virtual hugs and best wishes at this very difficult time.
Dee x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to hear of your day's passing. Thinking of you and wishing you strength for the days to come. x

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Dear A15,

Thank you for keeping us updated.
Reading your post it seems as if your Dad managed to be as present as possible in those precious lucid moments - something to bolster you all in the weeks and months to come.
Now dementia is out of your life and his, so other positive thoughts and memories can be allowed to surface and take the primary focus.
Sending you gentle thoughts and peaceful days ahead, knowing you played a vital role in this peaceful send-off. Hugs and much sympathy on the loss of a special and loved and treasured father, BE

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Dear A15
Am so sorry to hear of your dad’s passing.
It sounds as though when the end came it was very fast and as that he chose his moment to depart. Am so glad you will have some happier recent memories to comfort you and that everyone he held most dear was able to say goodbye as he set off on his final journey.
Peace & good wishes,
Px

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
I am so sorry to read that you lost your dad. I am glad that someone was with him. I hope the knowledge that he'd enjoyed dominoes and said bye will bring you comfort in the days to come.
With sincere sympathy xxxx