Wow, who knew carers were so valued - NOT!

24fan

Nov 13, 2011
So, I called the Carer's Allowance people to tell them Daddy had died, it took them ages to answer the 'phone because even with such a delicate issue, they don't actually have the humanity to have someone answering that 'phone as a priority.

They told me that I didn't have to worry about anything, that the Carer's Allowance and the Income Support top-up is paid for eight weeks as a bereavement period which of course turns out not to be true. The Carer's Allowance and the Income Support are like dominoes attached to the Attendance Allowance, and as that stopped after a month of Daddy being in hospital, so the others 'fall' too as according to them, because he was in hospital, there was a break in my caring for him. As I was there every day from lunchtime until after 11.30 p.m. if he needed me, I didn't see that there was a break. I washed him, shaved him, did his exercises, moisturised and massaged him, washed his hair - I even shaved him after he died - how does any of that, in any normal, sane, humane way mean there was a break in my care? He was my father, there wasn't a moment when I stopped caring for him and it is beyond heartless and insensitive to even say that out loud to me.

So here I am now, having to go to the Job Centre tomorrow to say I am fit and ready for work - as if that was anything like true - with no money coming in as my benefits were stopped without notice. I've had my N.I. stamp withdrawn too so now I lose a year of pension entitlement too unless I can pay the top-up money myself which I won't be able to, and I have to pay back almost £200 of my carer's allowance too. Oh and I also have the dubious pleasure of being forced to take a minimum wage job without any right of appeal because the rules say that I have been out of work for more than six months as caring isn't seen as having a job.

I didn't expect kindness or humanity but I didn't expect so many kicks when I am so far down. What on earth is happening in our society that we are treated so badly at such a time?

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I feel this is the saddest post I have read.

I am so sad for you that you are being treated in this inhumane way.

I send you hugs, it won't put food on your table butI hope it will help you to know you are appreciated by people who know.

Jeannette

Rosie Webros

May 8, 2013
Oh this is so awful.

I realised a few months ago when trying to sort out dad's care that you are on your own. I cried down the phone a few times as I was at the end of my tether, it made no difference.

But there are people who care, your dad cared and you can hold your head high knowing you did the very best for your lovely dad. And when you speak to these horrible people you can rest in the knowledge you are a good person who loved her dad very much.

I do hope you get something sorted and perhaps today you will meet one of the angels who I do believe are out there somewhere.

Take care, Rosie xx

Kazbaz

Jun 24, 2013
Hi 24fan,
I'm so sorry to hear of your experience but sadly not surprised. The problem with serious illnesses (I have cancer and my dad has dementia) is that they have far reaching effects which go way beyond the actual illness. Thats why you are in no way ready to go and stand at a job centre to say nothing of simply grieving your father.
Could you get a sick note for a while and claim ESA even a few weeks might just give you time to breathe.

I ask the same question about our society too. I worked in a county council home for the elderly in the late 80's -90's and I'm sure there were men like my Dad living there or definitely coming in for day care or respite. Not a chance now.

I wonder if a carers group could offer you any support as your bereavement is so recent and your situation now relates to the caring you did for your Dad.

Thinking of you and hope the job centre visit goes ok.

WirelessPaul

Feb 10, 2012
Leeds
I have got the same impression, 'carers the quiet slaves'. I am getting fed up with the way cancer dominates our press and airways while illnesses like Alzheimer's and the cares involved are quietly forgotten and being forgotten do not matter at all.

I had a cancer lymphoma a while back and was looked after really well having Chemo in Hospital for 6 x 3 weeks. Susan gets some pills and little else.
Paul Hudson

24fan

Nov 13, 2011
As usual ...

thank you for the kind comments.

Is our grief different? I haven't lost anyone before; my grandparents either died before I was born or when I was too small to notice, even my father's funeral was the first one I'd ever been to and I'm 52 so this is all totally new to me. I don't know what the grief of losing a parent is like when they have all their faculties but it seems to me now, as I am in this place, that maybe ours is a different grief due to the nature of having the role of carer. Our lives are set aside to be everything to that person, all the time, all the thoughts, all the advanced thinking, all the doing, let alone the very personal stuff like wiping bottoms and feeding that make a 'normal' bond into something different, to me. My father was totally reliant on me, there was so little about me any more, it was all about him - not that I'm complaining, it's just fact - I feel like half of me isn't there any more, I don't know what to do. Surely this closeness we have with the person we care for, if it was like my father and I, makes us a different group of people in grief.

We can't have counselling for another month but I'm wondering if there are dedicated groups for bereaved carers, or should there be?