Cognitive Stimulation Therapy

Magsie

Jul 13, 2011
Newcastle upon Tyne
I'm just wondering if anyone has come across cognitive stimulation therapy? The dementia daycare centre my mother attends is introducing CST which is a brief treatment for people with mild to moderate dementia and is the only non-drug related treatment recommended by NICE. The treatment involves 14 or more sessions of themed activities which aim to actively stimulate and engage people with dementia. The centre is going to be running some pilot sessions over the summer - I'm keen for my mother to take part and was wondering if anyone else has encountered this form of therapy.

60's child

Apr 23, 2013
suffolk
I would also be interested in any replies as my Mum has been offered a course as well. All I understand is it "brain training" Hard to imagine how it would help Mum as she struggles to remember things from 5 minutes ago.
My viewpoint is that it is non invasive and at worst, will not make any difference? At best there may be some improvement so I am trying to encourage Mum to give it a go.

Last edited by a moderator:

malc

Aug 15, 2012
north east lincolnshire
i've never heard of it but can't see it working because if somebody can't remember how can a therapy session work,surely you need to remember something to learn it?

MReader

Apr 30, 2011
essex
My husband (who has VD & AD and a lot of other medical problems) was offered Cognitive Stimulation Therapy shortly after he had his stroke & was first diagnosed about 4 years ago
It was a 6 week course & he very reluctantly attended the first 5 but refused to go to the last one & the follow up meeting
His reason was that it was not for him & anyway there was nothing wrong with him & he didn't want to go where there were a lot of 'nutters' - very sorry about that but it was his word:eek:
He is now much further down the Dementia road & goes to day care twice a week - it is part of his routine now & he doesn't argue
So I really don't know if it works - it didn't help us

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hi,

I have no experience but I don't see how it would hurt. Stimulation may be of some help, there is now evidence of the neuroplasticity of the brain, how it can create new pathways, and cells.

I also believe that sitting and staring in a non-responsive environment is of no benefit either. I played dominoes with Dad up until recently and while he wasn't able to choose which domino to play, I would help him. Sometimes there were 2 he could play and I would let him choose which one to play, then show him where to join it up. As an old primary school teacher, I know that there is learning everywhere, so, even turning the dominoes over to start the play, and packing them in the box in rows was a stimulating process he could handle with direction. He also enjoyed the interaction we had together, and that is a good thing.

Give it a go, it could just be some stimulating fun, if nothing more.

Stephanie

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
actively stimulate and engage people with dementia.

I know nothing about this at all but I can't see why one would need to remember anything. It sounds as though it is just what it says i.e. to engage and stimulate the brain - at the time. I would think it can't do much harm if your husband is happy to participate. Whether it can do any lasting good is another matter.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband did a 13 week course and at the end came home with a folder full of the things he had done through the course. Very diverse but certainly geared towards the times he could remember. There were music sessions, listening and singing to tunes of the 40/50's and 60s. Pictures of products that would have been familiar in his 20/30s., quizzes and a lot more I have forgotten about.

A lot of work had gone into the course which was run by his CPN and OT with lot of written participation by him. Not sure of the range of dementia within his group but he enjoyed going though I have to admit he gained nothing from it as regards his dementia. He enjoyed the company and being with people who understood his problems. For me it was my first taste of 2 hours to myself. Too far to go home but I had a walk around and a coffee and precious minutes to sit and just think of nothing.
May be I was the one who gained the most.

Jay

snedds57

Jun 15, 2011
Berwick upon Tweed
Good morning all

I am currently studying a degree in psychology and reading a very interesting book on brain plasticity. The brain is described as a "use it or lose it" organ and I think its good that people are introducing CST to day centres and stuff as its so easy just to give up. At our dementia cafe we try to always have a brain game and a physical game. Those with dementia are helped to join in to whatever level of ability they have and its lovely to see everyone helping each other. Yesterday we had a beetle drive. Those who couldn't play on their own played with another and at the most basic level, could roll the dice or draw spots on the beetle. A lot of laughter went on and I am 100% convinced that its better to have that than staring at a wall. We then went on to play new age kurling which is inclusive for all (especially if you don't look at rules!) One lady just swept the curling stone up to the target and yes, we all cheered! We couldn't get the pusher off her and she dominated the floor! What a hoot. :D

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
There were music sessions, listening and singing to tunes of the 40/50's and 60s. Pictures of products that would have been familiar in his 20/30s., quizzes and a lot more I have forgotten about.
The Activities Organizers in my husband's nursing home do this sort of thing all the time. I would have assumed it was also done in other homes.
I thought this special stimulation course was something different.

snedds57

Jun 15, 2011
Berwick upon Tweed
Yes, Saffie homes have activity co-ordinators who organise activity sessions, but CST is desiged for those with mild to moderate dementia and is a structured therapy over so many weeks which is intended to stimulate different parts of the brain.

I do think, however, it's a case of 'a rose by any other name ..' However people in nursing homes don't return home at the end of the day (such as they do in day centres) to a possibly non stimulating environment. I know having spoken recently to carers about stimulating their other halves, most admitted to not doing anything at home to exercise the brain in any structured way - even although they see the benefits of the activities at the cafe.

If anyone wants to read more about it : http://www.cstdementia.com/

:)

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
My MIL has been offered this and although I absolutely think it will make not an ounce of difference to her outlook or well being now I have said yes to it. I have learned to take any offer of help by anyone. It just feels better for me. For MIL it appears to make no difference at all. I HATE THIS DISEASE :mad:

marchbank

Jun 5, 2009
Cst

We are starting a 10 week Cognitive Stimulation Therapy course next week at daycare. A psychologist comes in initially and screens the service users which involves a mental test to assess how the memory is doing. We then have various themes throughout the sessions i.e. singing, discussing the old days by using props from days gone by, one week we are going to plant up some herbs that can be taken home. I'm really excited about it. It is not meant as a quick fix the aim of the programme is to try and keep the memory where it is. What i have noticed working in the daycare setting is there can be windows where you can bring someone out. I find singing can transform a person , i nearly cried when one man who has very limited wordfinding sang 2 songs through from start to finish. I felt like I'd won the lottery and was so proud of him, couldn't wait to drop him off and tell his wife - who was totally stunned. I'll be making sure we are singing till our hearts content. I will let you all know how the course goes and what i think from both perspectives.

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Hi everyone. I have been running maintenance CST for 3 yrs.People attend the formal CST course with the community team then they are referred to us to carry on, if they wish. It isn`t just about brain stimulation it is about meeting up with peers, having fun,a sort of memory cafe but with harder tasks because usually the people attending CST are newly diagnosed with dementia and score highly on their cognitive tests.
Our CST group have formed really good bonds with each other and their partners have formed a peer carers support group to run at the same time.

Any thing which reduces isolation and stigma and CST has actually been proven to maintain cognitive function to a degree , can only be good.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan