So cross with care company!

oneloopylady

Oct 16, 2011
My dad has carers (x 2 each visit) 4 x daily, for which he pays almost 2k per 4 weeks, so not cheap!! (self funding). After a month with them coming at certain times, agreed with me and the manager, a couple of weeks ago, I called the care manager to ask to change the lunch time visit from 12:30 to 12 and the afternoon visit from 4:30 to 4. The manager said she couldnt change it for that week as rotas had already been done, but would set it up for the following week, which was fine. So last week, every day, they came at 12, and then at 4. Great - all working well.

Yesterday we had a barbecue with friends in the afternoon. The carers came at 12, put dad into his wheelchair, brought him into the garden to join us. At 4, everyone left, and me and dad sat, and sat, and sat..... at 4:45, I called the after hours number and said nobody had come, and they came 10 minutes later. 55 minutes late (if they were due to come at 4, or 25 mins late if they were due to come at 4:30...), no phone call, nothing.

Today we decided to take him out for lunch (making the most of the beautiful sunshine!) so we booked the wheelchair taxi for 12:30 because carers would come 12 - 12:30 and get him into wheelchair. By 12:40, taxi outside, no carers..... so my daughter phoned the care co office where the manager told her that it was too difficult to get the carers in for 12 and 4 because another client had those times and she (the other client) was determined not to change her times.....! To which my daughter said, we wouldnt expect her to change her times, but does that mean you only have enough carers to cover one slot for each time period because we really want the times agreed - and last week, you did them for us. Now suddenly, and without discussing with us, you have changed the times back to the original times. The manager got really stroppy and said she can't do anything about it, and the other client was adamant, but she would go and 'speak to her' this evening to see if she would change the times back but if she wouldn't then, my dad would have to stick to the times they could come......

bearing in mind that my dad pays all this money for the care package, I can't quite believe that the care company are dictating to us in this way!

So, cancel the taxi, go and tell this poor old man we had to cancel the taxi, which had been waiting for 15 minutes by then, and we would have to sit in the garden with sandwiches after all.

So sad, so unprofessional - or am I wrong?? I don't quite know what to do next!

Should i just put up with them calling the shots, or what?

Thanks for reading!

Trisha

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
Even if I wasn't paying I would not want them to call all the shots as you put it.

The fact that you are paying should surely mean you have control of what is offered and when it is offered.

I sympathise with you completely

Jeannette

doodle1

May 11, 2012
Hi there
Are there any other care companies in your area ?I would investigate .Some are much better than others -I speak from experience!!On a brighter note your dad is getting a fairly good financial deal if your carers are coming in four times a day two of them at a time -my mum gets one person for one hour's visit a day for £160 a week [640 a month]

drmclarke

Feb 25, 2013
York UK
I've wondered a lot about prices; my mum has one visit each day, half hours except one day a week is a full hour for bathing (not that she'll allow them to wash her, but that's another story....). She's in Mid Devon, a very rural area, and SS there have advised me to bargain with the care provider to pay 'travel time' so mum doesn't summarily lose all service when the only other client in her village goes into hospital. While I'm genuinely disgusted by what the current very low costs suggest about pay and working conditions, the impact of this would be catastrophic on mum's finances; it will treble the cost from £14 p/h to £42 p/h for the full hour visit, and raise it from £7 per visit for the other 6 days to £32 per visit. It seems very unfair that prices are hidden until you actually contact care companies, and then it feels a bit 'wild west' - you can negotiate to pay more to get a (slightly) more acceptable level of service.

Perhaps TP members could start a list of prices for self funded home care showing how much in different areas - it would be an amazingly valuable bargaining tool!

oneloopylady

Oct 16, 2011
Thank you both for the support! There are other care companies around but my dad is just getting to know the carers and has a nice relationship with most of them - and as you know, that in itself is a blessing with dementia because this condition seems to often take a 'dislike' to people for no reason at all!

i have written to their head office to let them know I am not happy, and why, and hopefully they will want to keep us as clients - and that means simply giving us the visit times we want and keeping up the good work as far as the carers go! Not such a big 'ask'.....

Doodle1, your poor mum!! That is a lot of money for such a small amount of care!

I am soooo aware that I appear to live in a great area for both 'free equipment', support and cheap care. The care home where my dad will go for respite is £475.00 a week - my friend in West Yorkshire pays almost £700! The local NHS and SS gave us loads of equipment for my dad - 2 hoists, ceiling hoists, commodes, bed guards, anything we wanted or asked for, and we got a hospital bed which apparently are like gold dust, within 3 days of asking! It does make it so much easier so I am really grateful that we seem to have hit lucky on the 'postcode lottery' so to speak.

But fortunately all the care companies in the area charge about the same, so if we do have to change companies, we should get a similar deal.

Thanks again for the support and I will keep you updated as and when I get a response from their head office.

Trisha
xxx

oneloopylady

Oct 16, 2011
Drmclarke, we must have been typing at the same time! lol. I agree - haiving spoken to others and read peoples stories on TP, there seems to be a huge disparity in costs throughout the country - and I do think that care for the elderly should be the same charge nationally - and 'capped' at so many hours per week so that if somebody in real need requires more care, they don't have to keep on paying more and more and more to keep them at home. Care homes too seem to differ a lot in charges. The 'big company' run places locally charge a lot more than the smaller privately run ones - though I don't know why.

And the poor carers don't get half of the money we pay for care, and for the job they do, these people deserve a lot more money! And as for the unpaid heroes, the free family carers.... well, makes my blood boil!!

Ok, rant over! lol.

We live in Redcar which is up the North Yorks coastline, just beyond Whitby, in case you have never heard of it! (Very little known with beautiful countryside and beaches and apparently, cheap care packages and good NHS care! lol)

Trisha

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
MIL's in a care home now but she was at home with carers coming in 4X a day until the end of Feb this year. We used a "not for profit" agency and, while far from perfect, seemed to be much better than the other ones around here - they pay better too!

oneloopylady

Oct 16, 2011
I have never heard of not for profit companies! I must do some research and see if they are in this area at all. Especially if they pay the carers more - the salaries are pathetic. Our carers come here from 8:30 - 9:30 in the morning, their next 'call' is on the other side of town (10 minutes only by car) at 9:30!!! Huh??? So consequently, they spend the day playing catch up. They don't get paid travel time so again, by the end of the day, they could have racked up a couple of hours travelling from house to house - all unpaid. No expenses paid.

And as for those who don't have cars.... well, you can imagine!

They work a 12 - 14 hour day, and yet at 20:30 when they come to put my dad to bed, they still come in with warm smiles, kind words, and a great attitude.

I take my hat off to them, truly.