New here, exhausted emotionally, physically

patmej2011

May 27, 2013
Hi All,
My name its Patti, I am a 40 years old, I am a single mom to two wonderful kids after being married for 17 years to their father, and six months ago I moved in with my mother who has alzheimers due to her doctor deeming it unsafe for her to live alone. She is progressing at a rapid pace, due to her unpredictable and nasty behavior, my kids have to live with my brother, a couple of miles away and I try to be mother, caretaker, full time employee as I do not have a lot of money live paycheck to paycheck, and my mother has gone through all her savings too I have to help with her bills too. last week she was denied medicaid, and without this I am unable to get help with caring for her, or adult day care,I cannot quit my job as I have kids to also care for, its taking a huge toll on me, my kids and the whole family....we need assistance as my stress levels are beyond the roof and i have to come up with $300 for her property taxes, don't know how and I have my kids that need me too, do u know of any assistance for caretakers???
again , sorry to go right on and ask but I'm desperate.
thank u for listening,
Patti

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Patti and welcome to Talking Point.:)

I'm guessing you are in the US? We are a UK based site, so although we have some members in the US, most of us will be unable to help with financial issues such as benefits and healthcare.

It sounds as though you have given up a lot to care for your mother. Can I ask whether the state would be more likely to offer help to your mother if you didn't live with her?

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Hello Patti, I don't know anything about the American system of Care and social support but I just wanted to say Welcome :)

You have good reason to be stressed and worried.

It must be incredibly hard being apart from your children, working and looking after your Mum.
Money worries can be unbearably stressful.

There are lots of us here to talk to, if nothing else, it helps to talk about the stuff that weighs you down.

I hope you keep posting and get to know us all and at the very least, we'll all help with moral support. :)

Mo_N

Oct 29, 2009
South East Essex
Hi Patti,
I'm really sorry that you are having to face such a lot of problems trying to care for your mother as well as your children whilst holding down a job as well. As the other posters have already said we are UK based & our system is very different to the US.

Have you tried contacting the Alzheimer's Foundation of America? http://www.alzfdn.org/

Hopefully they can steer you in the right direction.

Mo
x

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Hi Patti, I'm so sorry to hear you stressed you are, and how worried you are about paying the bills. I found this link to some suggested places you might get help: http://www.agingcare.com/Articles/1...n-Access-for-Their-Elderly-Parents-120513.htm I particularly noticed the following: "There is a federally-mandated Area Agency on Aging in your county or city. This agency is staffed by professionals who know every elder program and service, including available funding sources, in your area."