Sharon's birthday

rjm

Jun 19, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Today is Sharon's 58th birthday. No cake, balloons or silly hats this year. I wondered if she would make it this far, and she has; although she won't make it much further.

She has been in bed since the week before Easter and is fading more day by day. It is now over a week since she has eaten anything at mid-day, only having a spoon of yoghurt and one or two strawberries for breakfast, and some days she will have the same in the evening but other days she just wants a sip of water. She is very peaceful and content which is a blessing for both of us. She is sleeping (or resting with her eyes closed) for 23 hours a day for the past couple of weeks, but when she is awake she will still interact with me. Yesterday morning she stayed up long enough that I was able to wash her hair and get a new gown on her, so she is looking nice and fresh today.

Our daughters have all called asking me to give Sharon a hug and kiss for them. Sharon's mum came for a visit this morning and lay beside Sharon and cried for awhile, it is so difficult for her.

It is more than 9 years since Sharon was diagnosed, at that time we were told to expect 5 to 6 years - so she has bested that estimate by more than half!

For her birthday I wish her continued peace and comfort, I don't want to lose her - but I don't want to see her slip into pain or anguish. She is so calm right now, if she can pass on this way it will be good.

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
Your love for Sharon shines through all your posts. I wish the same that you wish for - for her to remain peaceful and calm until the end.

I'm sure part of the reason she is so calm is because of your presence. You're her rock and she is incredibly lucky to have you

xxxx

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Rjm I hope the rest of Sharon's birthday is restful and comfortable for you both. I thought mum was young at 66 to be diagnosed but this disease never ceases to amaze me.

You have so much courage and strength, I admire you.

Sharon

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
To be loved in such a way is the biggest gift a person can have.

A poignant day for you and Sharon's Mum.

I hope the peace continues. X

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Like others Richard, I have always found your posts inspirational in their honesty and compassion. It's very sad to hear how she has declined but, as you suggest, the calmness is a blessing.

Take care

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
I hope you and Sharon had a nice day. You are a wonderful husband to her. If only we could all be blessed by having someone like you in our lives.

x

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Thinking of Sharon & sending yet more peace to you both

Oh Richard,

I thought you had been quiet this wee while...... Your post makes such dignified reading, so so sad, and yet as we all learn here, it cannot be any other way.

I know Sharon has been very agitated in the recent past, so it is a good thing that she is peaceful in herself, resting, and without pain or distress. I cannot imagine how you have managed, watching the demise of a wife and partner, and yet you continue day in and day out, without fuss or complaint. No beloved wife could expect more of their mate than you have given and continue to give.

Your post makes heart-rending reading as it is so painful for a mother to lose her daughter, no blow more cruel. At just 58 and 9 years of this with dementia, a tragedy for Sharon. But dementia knows no limits, and perhaps all we can ask for is mercy: a peaceful and gentle passing.

Richard, I wish you so well. You are a giant among men, and your support has been so important to me here on TP. A steadying voice from Canada! I like to think of her nibbling on a succulent strawberry, dozing and resting, and not having to fight.

Please keep us all updated, for you know that I, like many others, have a special place in my heart for both of you, Richard the Gentle, and Sharon the Brave! I send you all manner of kind thoughts, and continued peace.

Big hugs, BE

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I can only echo what others have said. Your love for Sharon shines through. I do so feel for you all. It mst be so hard for her mum.

I hope Sharon continues to enjoy the peace and the warmth of your love for some time to come. x

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
You're a blessing not only to Sharon Richard but to all on TP with whom you have shared. Wishing you both calm and peace as you continue this journey.
Best wishes to you both
love
Sue

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
As others have said, your love for Sharon and compassion for others, always shines through.

It must have been a day of mixed emotions for you, Sharon's mum and the family.

I am glad that Sharon is peaceful.

I am thinking of you all.

rjm

Jun 19, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I wish that I could share with Sharon the support that you give us, but I take it in and that helps us both - thank you.

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Richard, poignant words. The love and strength you show for Sharon is humbling.

turbo