Carers in crisis

Jel

Mar 23, 2013
Dorset
Hi

I have not posted for some time but have learnt a lot from reading your posts. What is really worrying me is that we are very isolated now, having no immediate family, it is basically just the two of us. Everything is in joint names, so no problem there, but what happens if I am unable to look after OH due to my illness or death. Is anyone in the same position as me, did they instruct solicitors to do the necessary or ask friends to act as carers. I really would like some help and advice.

My OH would not be able to cope on his own and I am so very very worried.

Jel

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
I am in the same position as you where there is really only the two of us. Firstly I would say if possible set up an LPA, it ust makes things that little bit more secure.
Secondly, ring the AS helpline and they will be able to tell you how to contact your local centre. ASk if you can have a support worker to visit you, it may take time but very helpful. I had a visit from ours last week and she is putting me in contact with all sorts of sources of help in case anything should happen.
Do it tomorrow, you don't need this worry andI know from experience it is a very real one. Good luck and let us know how you get on

Jel

Mar 23, 2013
Dorset
Carer in crisis

Thanks bemused1 for your response. I have been in touch with the memory advisor from Age UK who was the one who told me to think about what would happen if I was unable to look after my husband. She advised setting up an LPA but I do not know who to ask to be an Attorney. It would be a great responsibility for someone not related to us. That is my worry, who do I ask.

I will do as you suggested and also get in touch with AS.

Many thanks.

Jel