Just wanted to introduce myself

lindylou 66

May 18, 2013
Hi, I am 46 years old and my mum has had alzheimers for aprox 5 years, she has been in 3 Care homes now, her most recent one only now 1 week. This is due to the care homes saying they can no longer care for her. Myself and my family only want whats best for mum, now. I have joined talking point to connect with others who are having to deal with this horrible condition, but at the same I hope that my experiences may help others to.:)

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello Lindylou, welcome to Talking Point. I hope you find TP a great source of help and support.

Very best wishes to you and your mum. X

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Welcoming you!

Hi there Lindylou,

I welcome you to the forum...... it is nice because 24/7 someone is there to lend an ear and the walls of isolation fall fast. I stupidly waited 4 years post Mum's Alz diagnosis to join, but in the end going solo is just making the journey harder.

Mum, 86, advanced Alz, and me (53 but sometimes feeling much older) joined in July last year as I thought I had no option but to deposit her in a home. Happily she is still with us here and shares our lives, as this is what she wants more than anything in the world.

Life is getting much more complicated now, toilet issues, wears disposable knickers, memory is dissolving, she, the queen of gardeners has now forgotten everything about gardening including that she used to love it!! I find it a particularly painful phase as I watch her unravel..... but dementia has one powerful trick up its sleeve, and that is Mum can live in a space of total denial of her illness.

Glad you decided to make the decision to post...... I never understood the point of reading posts and not joining in the discussion. I can honestly say that the people here have helped me give Mum better care, and carried me through some of the saddest, most irritating and most helpless days of my life. These people are worth their weight in gold.

So, joining this exclusive dementia club was an excellent decision, and we all stand to benefit. Keep posting. Huge welcome, BE

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi and welcome from me too. I'm glad you found TP and I'm sure you will find lots of advice, help and support coming your way. x

60's child

Apr 23, 2013
suffolk
Hi Lindylou
Just wanted to welcome you. My Mum has alzheimers and is still at home at the moment. My husband and I have moved in next door which has been great for Mum but has ended our social life in no uncertain terms! We just try to get by day by day but it is so hard seeing Mum slowly getting worse. Somedays when everything seems so hard I look at posts on here that are so heartbreaking I mentally give myself a pep talk and tell myself to stop whinging..!
I was shocked that your Mums nursing home say they can no longer care for her. I had no idea that could happen. I do hope you get something sorted for her.
Dee x