weight loss

lymara

May 8, 2013
Hello. Wondering if anyone has any advice on my situation. My mother was diaognosed
With dementia about 2 years ago and over the past year her weight has been a constant struggle. She never wants to eaT and all she wants to do is sleep and I'm lost And I don't know what to do. Please help

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi lymara, and welcome to Talking Point.

I'm so sorry to hear about your worries over your mum's weight. I don't have any personal experience of big weight loss, but we do often struggle to get my mam, who has Alzheimer's, to eat properly.

At these times, we (my dad and I) have found that it's more important to get calories into her rather than worry too much about what she's eating. She prefers sweet things, for instance, so whereas she might not eat a main course she will often relish a pudding, sponge and custard for example, and although she refuses to eat most vegetables she does love fruit, so a bowl of fruit salad and ice cream usually goes down a treat.

Also, little and often could be better than expecting her to eat a big meal. We try not to over face her; better that she eats a small plate of food than pushes a large portion away without eating anyhing, simply because it looks too much for her to manage.

Finger foods, things she can carry around with her sometimes also work, rather than sitting at the table.

Plenty of cups of tea, with cake and biscuits, again simply for calories are another option.

Does your mum have a social worker? If not, it may be time to contact social services and get them involved. Alternatively talk to her GP. I believe that there are fortified drinks that can be prescribed although I have no experience of these, but I know of other TPers who do.

I'm sorry, I don't have any suggestions regarding your mum sleeping a lot, but I'm sure others will be along soon to help.

Do keep posting, you are among friends here and it's a good source of advice, support and comfort.

rjm

Jun 19, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hello. Wondering if anyone has any advice on my situation. My mother was diaognosed
With dementia about 2 years ago and over the past year her weight has been a constant struggle. She never wants to eaT and all she wants to do is sleep and I'm lost And I don't know what to do. Please help

Hi lymara,

Welcome to TP. I don't know if your mum is able to be active and alert when she is not sleeping, if so it may be worth talking to her doctor - maybe anti-depressants could be of some help. On the other hand, I believe people's bodies are very good at knowing what is best for them. As long as she is comfortable and not stressed or in pain I would probably just let her sleep and not push her to eat if she doesn't want to.

Best wishes,

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian.Hogan