So fed up. Again!

Pross

Mar 2, 2013
South east
I can cope with the pull-up changing and bum washing at 4am. Even managed to cope with the copious peeing all over the bathroom floor that followed. Then changed the bedding as an exploring hand had obviously been wiped on both top and bottom sheet plus bottom sheet felt suspiciously damp. But having got PJ back into bed I decicded to decamp into the spare room for what was left of the night. Might have known it. Not long before he got out of bed and began pacing backwards and forwards along the landing. Into my bedroom and out again, turning lights on, opening and closing doors, moving things. Finally had to give in and get up. He'd already donned two jumpers on top of his pyjama jacket but would he let me help with his trousers? Not Pygmalion likely! His pull-ups are obviously down round his knees but that hasn't stopped him folowing me downstairs and resuming his pacing with long pauses to stand and stare out of each window he passes. He's now finally sat down and fallen asleep. So the battle of the trousers, not to mention the skirmish of the pills, still awaits me.
Here beginneth another day!

60's child

Apr 23, 2013
suffolk
Pross
I am not suprised you are fed up. Did you get any sleep at all? Somedays things seem impossible dont they? I can have two days the same with Mum. One day I cope fine, the other day I find the same thing impossible to cope with. Thinking of you. Hope you cope with the day ahead and get some rest at some point.
Dee xx

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
Pross I have days/nights like this too. Each time I feel I cannot cope with another, but thankfully there is usually a lull in between such days so I do " recover".

My mantra often is I am fed up, totally totally fed up. I say this over and over while I am clearing up yet another disaster. The last time was Monday of this week, and my husband thought I was telling him off. I tried to explain that it was the situation I was fed up with, but it did not work. However he has no memory of it now so is at peace.

I shall have to say my mantra under me breath in future.

Jeannette

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Oh Pross, a saint would be swearing after all that, you poor, poor thing. And how dreadfully mean is this disease that it reduces our loved ones to such behaviours? I think it's so hard to be gracious and loving in the face of such soul-destroying situations.

It is the sheer relentless nature of them that wears you down. Go have a really good shout somewhere, you must have built up a good head of steam by now.

i really hope you get a better day, and some rest very, very soon.

take care,
Stephanie, xxx

Pross

Mar 2, 2013
South east
The day seems to have continued in similar vein. PJ spent a lot of time this morning sitting in the car on the drive. Can't do any harm there, I thought. Hmm. Well, not exactly harm maybe but took apart our son's blue badge card, fragmented my in car phone charger and ate every sweet he could lay his hands on. Then refused to wear new pull ups when he was changed mid morning so some time this afternoon there was an exclamation of oh look! And we both stood and watched the damp creeping down his trousers to his shoes. Thank goodness for washing machines. At least he was wandering around at the time, not sitting on anything absorbant.
Disabled son is now home for the weekend as usual so double trouble. Am I the only person who positively looks forward to Mondays?

EllieS

Aug 23, 2005
SOMERSET
Dear PRoss
Have you been offered respite care, do you get help fro. Social services - please say yes. There's no way you can cope with this alone.
Please don't be afraid to ask for help from the powers that be.
Do take care of yourself
X

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Dear Pross,

These are very trying and unrewarding times for you. It would be easy enough to put an elderly person into disposable underwear, and keep them busy with this and that, but when it is someone we love, someone who we are intimate with, the hurting becomes great.

My current observation is that it is the Emotional Pain that sucks out the energy. Both hubby and I are exhausted at the moment, and we are both grieving (again!?), as, in reality, nothing that is going on is more difficult than previously. The only contrete advise I can come up with here, is to observe yourself very carefully, notice what tasks and what situations really get to you....... as these are likely to be the ones that tip the balance and grab all your attention and wind up loads of resistence and distress.

Also I am in the midst of reading Mary Newport's book on stopping Alzheimers, and she refers a lot to neurodegenerative diseases (so dementia, Parkinsons, and others) as 'starving brains'...... and there your husband is munching all the sweets he can find. Many researchers are making this insulin resistence - brain die-off link.

I noticed this desire to eat sweet stuff, cake, biscuits, sweets and more sweets with Mum. Stupidly I put it down to 'old age' as Dad did this too. Interestingly Dad took 5 spoons of sugar in his tea after a big stroke...... we thought his tastebuds had taken a hit..... could it be a starved brain as the brain tries to repair itself after injury? Oddly, my brother who had an aneurysm burst in early January woke up and demanded icecream and jelly, and has a huge cache of wine gums. Not odd until you discover my brother HATES anything sweet and hadn't eaten a sweet or tasted a dessert in 30 years.

However, as with diabetes, sugar isn't the answer to an insulin-starved body, but the cause. Mary Newport worked with premature babies and noticed they were given medium-chain triglicerides for optimum brain development..... when she discovered a company that were trialing coconut oil esthers as a cure for dementia with success, she tried it on her husband. The rest is history. He has early onset Alz, but she has successfully hindered its progress using coconut oil. I have been using it on Mum and observe improvement in two key areas: her attention span and new found ability to read again, and her hand-writing, she can now write letters again.

Reading of your husband's proclivity for sugar..... well, it made me think. My biggest regret for Mum is I didn't start her on the coconut oil regime four years ago (think Guilt!!), as I knew about it, but is sounded too simplistic.

On a more instantly practical note, next time he has time to himself in the car, why not supply him with a 'rummage box'. Mum sorts through family photos, writes on the back of them, makes plans of what to do with them..... lots of busy time. You could put together a box or old biscuit tin, with a few things he knows well, to examine, seed packets if he is a gardener, you know the idea, and perhaps one or three sweets buried amidst the booty just to tempt him to get started. This might save your items from being picked apart. Sounds like your husband might like a few technical things thrown in (remote controls etc can be got for free from waste recycling places).

Good luck. And watch what sucks you in emotionally, and learn to distance yourself by stopping those depressing thoughts before they drain you. Love BE

Pross

Mar 2, 2013
South east
Thanks for all your support.
Ellie, I do have some help. I threw a bit of a wobbly a few weeks ago and Crisis Crossroads has since sent me a carer one night a week which is fantastic. PJ goes to a Day Centre two days a week and on Mondays I have a fantastic young woman who cleans the house, does laundry, ironing and takes PJ out to lunch, all so that I can keep walking with my group.
BE, thanks for your support too. What really triggers my negative reactions is just plain tiredness. Didn't get woken till 5.30 this morning so have been amiable all day. Trouble is, I'm no spring chicken (think more autumn. Oh all right, winter then.) I just don't have inexhaustible supplies of energy.
However, we all soldier on as best we can. So glad I found TP though.