herbal medicine

stepan

Oct 22, 2004
London
Hello

This question is in regard to the use of herbal medicine in the treatment/ alleviation of AD. Is there anybody reading this who has any personal experience of using this kind of medication? In your opinion, were there any noticeable improvements or changes for the sufferer?

p.s. I haven't found any other discussions on this subject in the forums???

Thank you

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Dear Stepan

As soon as Margaret was diagnosed with Alzheimer's I started her on Ginko Biloba.

Whether it has done any good is a matter of conjecture, she was diagnosed at the beginning of the year 2000 and has also been taking Aricept since about the middle of 2000.

She has recently (the last six or eight months) shown a decline both in the mini assessments and in her everyday accomplishments.

This has taken almost four years and the Aricept is only supposed to help on average about two years. So I am inclined to the opinion that the Ginko has helped a little.

This of course may well be wishful thinking, but for what it costs I consider it well worth a try.

Gingseng is also supposed to be of help.

There will probably be some information about herbal medicine on the information pack on this site.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers Barraf

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Stephan,

Dr Schuessler's Bio Cell Salts are also good. Silica in particular and Kali Phos for anxiety. Bach Flower Rescue Remedy for shocks. Tumeric....... who knows?

Jude

stepan

Oct 22, 2004
London
Thank you for the replies. Hopefully, some more people will post their opinions as well.

My mother is also on Aricept but, unfortunately, after approx’ 10 months I think it’s beginning to wear off now. Ginkgo does seem to be mentioned in leaflets, etc., a lot but I hadn’t followed it up. “Bach Flower Rescue Remedy for shocks”…shocks???

I started on this enquiry prompted by a TV programme when it was suggested that, the herb, lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) was good for helping AD – I’ve found this plant growing in the garden! Online, I found the website:
http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/press/preleases/pr/pr_521.htm

I emailed the Newcastle Medicinal Plant Research Centre, University of Newcastle, but was told by Professor Elaine Perry: “Many thanks for your letter. Unfortunately we are still in the early stages of research and as further research is still underway I am at this moment in time unable to advise you on a specific treatment. Therefore, I believe the best option is for you to consult a Medical Herbalist for further advice.”

I then phoned The National Institute of Medical Herbalists (NIMH), in Exeter, but was told that they are not like the NHS and don’t keep records of the herbs that they use for specific ailments (?). Instead, I was advised to contact a herbalist based in Kent. After a long conversation with him, during which, he explained their ‘holistic’ approach to treating people on an individual basis with an amalgam of different herbs over a course of consultations [Example charges for consultations, from a leaflet: New patient (one hour) £35, Follow-up visit (50 mins £30]. He added, that he doesn’t use Melissa specifically for AD.

Since my last posting here, I had another look online, and found: http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_835711.html
They say: “Work began in 1996 when Professor Elaine Perry, director of the university's medical plant centre, began looking for references to herbal cures dating back hundreds of years. Botanists grew 150 strains of different plants which were eventually narrowed down to the lemon balm plant…Researchers in Iran found that when an extract of lemon balm was given to sufferers of the disease they showed marked improvements…Dr Andrew Wake of Newcastle University led a team investigating the effectiveness of cures…He said for the leaves to have the desired effect they should be taken in a milky drink or stewed in alcohol (!!!).”

So, in other words, the same university department is giving conflicting opinions! This time, I’ll try Dr Wake, and see if he is prepared to provide more detail to his ‘recipe.’ If I get anywhere, and if Melissa seems to help, I’ll post back.

Despite all this, there may still be possibilities with a herbalist’s remedies but I’d like to get a round-up of what other people have to say first.

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Stepan,

Sorry! For 'shocks' read 'shock', fatigue or confusion. I don't as a rule plug my parents in to 240V to recharge them if they are tired.

Jude

stepan

Oct 22, 2004
London
I know! I was only 'taking the p***!'
I kindof visualised an effeminate pianist with his hair standing on end.

Cheers.

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
I now have a vision of some elderly chap in [a] G string playing an electric organ, er piano. Let's not pursue this any further....... dangerous waters ahead!

Jude

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Stepan
in the early days of my wife's illness I tried all sorts herbalism, was one, but I could never obtain any official test results, only peoples experiences.
I also tried spiritual healing, distance healing that, is,but none of it helped us.
Others may say differently
Norman

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suzanne F