Care Plans in Care Homes

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Nr Heathrow, Mum has AD & VD
Hi does anyone know much about Care Plans and how they are supposed to help the caree? :rolleyes:

Who is entitled to see the copious notes?
Who must see the copious notes?
What purpose do they serve?

Thank you

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
In my experience, Care Plans are put together in the best interests of the person being cared for , following multi disciplinary meetings . They are adapted to meet individual needs and reviewed regularly.

Everyone involved is entitled to see the notes but I`m not sure whether being next of kin is sufficient or a POA is necessary.

There is more information here.

Last edited:

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Thanks Sylvia, still a bit ambiguous!

:confused:
In my experience, Care Plans are put together in the best interests of the person being cared for , following multi disciplinary meetings . They are adapted to meet individual needs and reviewed regularly.

Everyone involved is entitled to see the notes but I`m not sure whether being next of kin is sufficient or a POA is necessary.

There is more information here.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Hi does anyone know much about Care Plans and how they are supposed to help the caree? :rolleyes:

Who is entitled to see the copious notes?
Who must see the copious notes?
What purpose do they serve?

Thank you

My mother's CH calls us in to discuss the care plan maybe once a year. It's helpful for any new staff to be able to consult for likes/dislikes, things not to say or do, etc.

Last time, probably because of her age (nearly 95) and condition (pretty awful) we were asked whether we wanted DNR added to her file. (yes)

Mostly it tends to be a bit of formality now (she's been there 5 1/2 years and a lot of the staff have been there at least as long) and AFAIK we are entitled to ask to see the CP at any time. We do have welfare P of A, so that may make a difference, though I'm sure this CH would be happy for any next of kin to see it. I can't see why any CH wouldn't, unless they've got something to hide.

One thing we told them at the last meeting was that she was not to be badgered to go to activities when she is frankly past taking part or getting any pleasure out of them, and she always hated the noisy 'musical' ones anyway.

They had told me that she had recently been taken when she didn't want to go, to some activity or other. Why? Because some inspector was coming and apparently they don't approve of residents just 'sitting in chairs', regardless of whether they're capable of doing much else any more. It would mean a black mark for the CH.
I was pretty cross about this - not with the CH, since I can understand why they did it, but with the wretched inspector who can't make allowances for the stage people are at. I said that if it happens again they must refer the inspector to me.

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Witzend

As an activity co-ordinatopr this post struck a real chord with me as so many residents tell me they don't need "organising", however I have to be seen to be trying. I sometimes wonder if my appearance triggers the sort of emotion I used to get when the Physiotherapist walked in when I was in hospital :S

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
As an activity co-ordinatopr this post struck a real chord with me as so many residents tell me they don't need "organising", however I have to be seen to be trying. I sometimes wonder if my appearance triggers the sort of emotion I used to get when the Physiotherapist walked in when I was in hospital :S

Hello, Bristolbelle - yes, it must be difficult sometimes. But I know a lot of residents enjoy the activities at our CH - they really make an effort, but of course a lot depends on personality and the stage they're at. Sadly my mother was never really a 'joiner-inner' even when she was capable. Before she was very bad I once found her at a very noisy music activity. I said, 'Are you enjoying it?' 'No, I hate it!' 'Why did you come then?' 'I didn't like to say no.' So I had to tell them she really doesn't like anything noisy and never did. Plenty of others were evidently throughly enjoying themselves, though.

Bluebury

Jul 21, 2010
North Manchester
When my mother in law was in a home, she did not have dementia, her family (sons + me) were asked did we want to be present when the care plan was being written up. MiL made comments on what was important to her and we were asked whether that was correct or whether she was saying things to please the staff.
We were each given a copy of the care plan and it was reviewed and amended regularly.

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Thank you! :) My issue is that it does not seem clear what her daily personal care routine is for hygiene, hearing aid, dentures, glasses and stick.

I have never been invited to see it or examine it. My Mum has choices which is fair but sometimes people with dementia make wrong choices i.e. wandering out inappropriately dressed or refusing help as in 'I don't need help' - she really does!

Phrased in the right way i.e. let me put your hearing aid safely away for you, she would probably say 'oh thank you'.

You should see how long they spend asking people what they would like to eat the next day!!! All the choices given, Mum has forgotten the first item by the time they get to the third option! :confused::(:eek: It all just seems like they are paying lip service to follow some rules set by others who have no idea about dementia, just for the sake of it! Dignity :confused: the deputy manager said to Mum yesterday in such a sweet voice 'you sometimes know my name, don't you?' I was almost glad the hearing aid was missing so Mum did not hear how patronising this was!!!:rolleyes:

When my mother in law was in a home, she did not have dementia, her family (sons + me) were asked did we want to be present when the care plan was being written up. MiL made comments on what was important to her and we were asked whether that was correct or whether she was saying things to please the staff.
We were each given a copy of the care plan and it was reviewed and amended regularly.

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Choices or excuses to take the easy option? Thanks I will continue to nag and review as planned next Thursday!

:rolleyes:
Exactly! Mum's CH told me thay wanted her to keep her independence by offering her choices. Eg: 'Would you like help with your teeth?' 'No', she would say, 'I can manage'. But she forgot how to deal with her teeh long ago. The result was they never got cleaned.
This was one of several things that were in her Care Plan - I demanded to see it (as next of kin) and made some corrections and suggestions about her personal care. Most of these were ignored but after constant nagging, I'm happy to say it looks as though they are all now being followed.