Creating a Day Clock using a Digital Photo Frame

SussexRokx

Oct 15, 2012
Hi Chris, most Digital Photo Frames are mains powered, using a mains adapter, and the battery is just for back-up, so that they keep the time and date settings. If I find one that will work on batteries alone, I'll post the details here.

The only frames I know of that work on batteries alone, are the small keyring types, and they're too small.

I guess the only other solution would be to have a power socket that is out of reach, and, more importantly, out of sight.

Some frames can be wall mounted, so if the cable can be hidden in a plastic conduit, so that it looks as if it has been hard wired, a bit like a ceiling or wall light, that may also be a solution, again, so long as the power socket is out of reach and out of sight.

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Thanks for that, I probably would be able to do a "sneaky" :D will do a covert operation round mums tomorrow lol
Many thanks again for such a great idea....maybe more to come.
Take care
Chris x

doliver

Apr 23, 2013
This might work for many but I have tried this and my dad unplugs everything when he goes to be and turns it on again in the morning. The frame I used didn't have enough battery back-up and everything had to be re-set which wasn't practical. Great idea though. I have been looking and trying to figure out some sort of day and night visual clock as dad gets up at 7pm thinking it is 7am (espcially during daylight savings time) and has his shower and takes his monring meds etc. Has anyone else seen any other products?

SussexRokx

Oct 15, 2012
What happens if there's a power interruption (albeit that's not a very common occurrence, unless the person it's for is one who goes around unplugging things) - do the pictures get out of synch? Seems that is the case at least with the expensive ready-made clock ("If the Day Clock becomes unplugged, upon powering the unit back on you will need to reset the time and date options"

With the Digital Photo Frame I've used, it reverts back to the first slide after a power interruption. It's then a case of advancing the slides to the correct one for day and time - so Wednesday at 3pm would be slide 3_15 (Day 3 at 15:00 hours). It takes about 30 seconds.

reddevil

May 1, 2013
new to the forum

Hi

I'm new to this site and I'm very interested in this clock for my father who has a problem with night and day and I'm finding he gets very confused and rings me at all hours of the day.

I'm a bit of a thicko when it comes to following instructions if they are not put down step by step and in simple terms. Could you simplify these instructions for me so I could set up this clock and keep the cost down. :D

Regards

SussexRokx

Oct 15, 2012
Hi reddevil - I can up to a point - the only thing I can't include is the instructions for the Digital Photo Frame - the rest is pretty easy. Download the images - unzip the file on your computer - load the images (not the folder) onto the digital media used by the frame (normally SD cards) - plug it (the SD card) into the photo frame - then set it to change the image every hour.

Again - according to the instructions with the frame - normally using the < or > buttons, move the slide to the day - Sunday Night at midnight is slide 1_00 - so Wednesday would be day 3, and if the time is 3pm or 15:00, the slide to display is slide 3_15. After that, it's set up.

Hope this helps.

Just remember:
Sunday Night/Monday = 1
Monday Night/Tuesday = 2
Tuesday Night/Wednesday = 3
Wednesday Night/Thursday = 4
Thursday Night/Friday = 5
Friday Night/Saturday = 6
Saturday Night/Sunday = 7

There are plenty of instructions via the link, but if you have any problems, contact me through www.zkidoo.co.uk, there's a quick contact form there.

longacre

Feb 17, 2008
London
I bought one of these for my mother a while ago via a site where they changed the digital photo frame into a time device using a chip. it is great but, and it is a big BUT, my mother constantly pulls the plugs out of the wall so it is saying the wrong day and time. Not that it really bothers her...And we therefore spend our time re-setting it (which is simple but she always wants to know what we are doing and why it was unplugged etc etc). This is despite about six notices (which she writes) saying do not unplug...So I think the idea is great but if it could just work off batteries which would be much less easy to take out, I think it would be better (and have given this feedback to the university who had developed the idea).

SussexRokx

Oct 15, 2012
Longacre - you're right, unplugging is the biggest problem, hence why I'd suggest some covert wiring, so they don't know where it's plugged in. The problem with photo frames is that they use up a lot of "juice" - so battery versions are not currently viable. One day maybe, but not yet. And, they'd still need to be plugged in to recharge them - so the problem would still be there.

I guess the university you're referring to is the Bath Institute of Medical Engineering.

dotfoxleics

Mar 14, 2013
Leicestershire England
I bought one of these for my mother a while ago via a site where they changed the digital photo frame into a time device using a chip. it is great but, and it is a big BUT, my mother constantly pulls the plugs out of the wall so it is saying the wrong day and time. Not that it really bothers her...And we therefore spend our time re-setting it (which is simple but she always wants to know what we are doing and why it was unplugged etc etc). This is despite about six notices (which she writes) saying do not unplug...So I think the idea is great but if it could just work off batteries which would be much less easy to take out, I think it would be better (and have given this feedback to the university who had developed the idea).
Why not dispense with the plug and change the socket to one where the cable feeds into a hole in the front plate?

SussexRokx

Oct 15, 2012
Dotfox - exactly, that's the sort of solution that is needed. However many Digital Photo Frames use mains adapters built into the plug unit - so it's not a solution for these.

dotfoxleics

Mar 14, 2013
Leicestershire England
Last edited:

SussexRokx

Oct 15, 2012
Dotfox - yes, if a suitable mains adapter, with separate plug could be sourced, then it would be a solution.

Have had a look around, and the problem is that Photo Frames use low voltage, around 5V, and low amps, around 0.6A - the majority of adapters for this type of DC supply, are typically integral with the plug.

There is no doubt that a qualified electrician would be able to rewire the adapter so that it could be hard wired. As you suggest.

It would involve breaking open the casing, and housing the transformer in a new casing, and soldering the wires to the appropriate terminals. Of course, this would invalidate any warranties.

SussexRokx

Oct 15, 2012
Oldeddy - looks good - but my Mum wouldn't understand it - too much info. All she needs to see is the day, and the period of the day. Seeing all the days and additional info would be meaningless. Still, if it works for you, then great - no problems with that.

dotfoxleics

Mar 14, 2013
Leicestershire England
Dotfox - yes, if a suitable mains adapter, with separate plug could be sourced, then it would be a solution.

Have had a look around, and the problem is that Photo Frames use low voltage, around 5V, and low amps, around 0.6A - the majority of adapters for this type of DC supply, are typically integral with the plug.

There is no doubt that a qualified electrician would be able to rewire the adapter so that it could be hard wired. As you suggest.

It would involve breaking open the casing, and housing the transformer in a new casing, and soldering the wires to the appropriate terminals. Of course, this would invalidate any warranties.
Continuing my train of thought - how about using a single plug extension lead which would be wired into an unswitched fused connection unit with front flex outlet and then hide the adapter inside a fuse box or similar secure box. That would stop a disconnection/switching off unless of course the cable was pulled out of the wall!

SussexRokx

Oct 15, 2012
Dotfox - yes that's along the same lines as my suggestion for covert wiring, where everything is hidden. If the wiring and socket, hard wiring, etc. is out of sight, then there is less of a likelihood of things being unplugged.