Debts outstanding by Alzheimer patients

Salady

Aug 8, 2012
My husband is in a care home now and both his pension go to pay for his care prior to us meeting and getting married he had Credit Cards with 2 companies I have an LPA covering Property & Finance for him, can anyone tell me if I am liable to pay these debts , especially as my income is only my state pension & pension credits

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
This fact sheet may be able to help with some of your concerns.
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=160

There has been a thread on here recently mentioning that the finance department would not take into consideration that a mortgage need to be paid, when assessing for care home payments. To me a mortgage or a credit card debt are the same.

I think I am right in saying that the finance department should leave you with money to pay this debit. It's not your personal money that should be used, it should be your husbands money that is used.

I will try and find the link to the thread and put it here for you

Here it is
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?54017-Recognition-of-legal-debts&highlight=Debt

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Have you talked to the credit card companies? There is a chance that they might write off the debts. You need, of course, to make it quite clear that you are not responsible for his debts from your own funds and that they are not shared debts.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think the first thing you need to do is find out if you are legally responsible for theses debts and I would think the best way to do that is to visit your local CAB. If it turns out you aren't, then I think you have two options: tell the credit card companies that if they want to take a person now confined to a residential home with dementia to court, they can feel free or ask the LA to increase the amount of his personal expense allowance to allow repayment of this debt. If on the other hand you are considered to be legally responsible, then you are going to want to push the LA very hard to get that allowance increased.

I'm assuming he has no savings at all?

nimbus11

Apr 22, 2011
Hampshire
I did this for my BIL - write to each company explaining the circumstances, they might send you a form asking you to itemise his income and expenditure, both companies I wrote to made the debt nil and explained he could not get credit again - which didnt matter to him.

good luck

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Incidentally - you say both his pension. Do you mean his state and his occupational pension? Because while you have to look at the effect on your pension credit, you are in act entitled to receive half of his occupational pension.

hopeful56

Jun 17, 2009
Midlands
As a side issue, I think he should only be contributing half of his occupational pension towards his care, as he has a spouse. Jennifer is the expert on this so I am sure she will be back to clarify. I think you said he has two pensions?

JJ

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
If you were not a signatory to the debt, then you are not responsible.

It may affect your future credit rating if you were.

I would write them a letter, explaining that he is in care and your present circumstances.

I would try not to worry about it.

They will not pursue it, if it's in his name only.

Even if it is in joint names, it is an unsecured debt, they would HAVE to accept what you can afford to pay.

It's a credit agreement , an unsecured debt and cannot be linked to other finances, like mortgages i.e. charge on the house etc.

It would have to go before a magistrate to be pursued further.
You could see a solicitor if it got to that stage.

The company will try to pursue it for a while, to frighten you.
Don't be scared.

hollycat

Nov 20, 2011
Please check with credit card company or CAB but I am lead to believe that a credit card can only be issued to an individual and not joint, hence the NAME on the credit card is the person responsible for the debt.

A friend added his wife as a secondary card holder (or whatever the official name is for an additional user) years ago now, the wife ran up debts of thousands and left him.HE the card holder had to pay the money back.

As I say, I don't know for a fact that this is still the case today but just wanted to share the story with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB2CAN