Help needed in understanding Dementia and SS/NHS funding....

Chapmag

Dec 5, 2011
By way of introduction my parents are both 85, Dad has been diagnosed with Alzheimers for the past 15 months and Mum with Vascular Dementia for just over a year.

They are living in their own bungalow with carers going in 3 times a day to administer meds (when left alone they either forget to take them or end up talking multiple doses as they have forgotten they've already taken their meds, even with blister packs), help with personal care and cook an evening meal.

They can manage breakfast and a sandwich at lunchtime but Mum can no longer manage the numerous ingredients required for an evening meal.

Mum also suffers from Psychotic Dementia which puts them in danger of walking out of the house at all hours because she believes they're being evicted by the neighbour or the Police are coming to arrest them for Drug Dealing!!!

They both receive Attendance Allowance and Mum has Social Services funding for her carers.

Dad just has one 15 minute call a day to administer meds which were are funding at the moment.

The we being myself and my sister who have a PoA (for Finances) in place.

We are fast approaching the time when for their safety and security we need to find them a care home.

We've had them staying with us but their nocturnal wanderings mean it's unfortunately not a long term solution.

So..............

after that preamble we are looking to place them in a Care Home and that will be self-funded.

My real question is... is there a website/fact sheet or what ever that provides guidance on when their health/support needs mean they no longer have to self fund?

This is not a selfish requirement (IE I want their inheritance.. I sincerely do not) I am merely trying to determine how long their capital and savings will last and what happens beyond that!

I seem to be hearing that dementia and serious medical conditions requiring nursing are treated differently when it comes to Social Services/NHS funding.

Thanks in anticipation of your responses.

G.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hello Chapmag

I know nothing about not self-funding as mum had no choice. We sold her little house and used the proceeds to pay the care home. But we did also buy an insuranc policy thing out of the proceeds that would pay a good chunk of her fees for life. Yes, it cost a fortune, but like you I didn't want the inheritance, but it did give me peace of mind. As it happened, we never claimed on it cos mum died before the two years that we decided it should kick in, so we "wasted her money".

However, I would do the same again. Just for the peace of mind it gave us

Hope you sort it out okay

Love

Margaret

Chapmag

Dec 5, 2011
Hello Chapmag

I know nothing about not self-funding as mum had no choice. We sold her little house and used the proceeds to pay the care home. But we did also buy an insuranc policy thing out of the proceeds that would pay a good chunk of her fees for life. Yes, it cost a fortune, but like you I didn't want the inheritance, but it did give me peace of mind. As it happened, we never claimed on it cos mum died before the two years that we decided it should kick in, so we "wasted her money".

However, I would do the same again. Just for the peace of mind it gave us

Hope you sort it out okay

Love

Margaret

Thanks for your response Margaret... this is the road we find ourselves travelling.

Mum and Dad are now booked in for a period of respite care which it and any immediate future needs we will fund... but it is the long term, potentially beyond their funds that we want to secure. If, as in your case, we do not need the insurance we take out we will not regret having taken it out.

We are booking a session with the one of the West Sussex Carewise IFA's to discuss our options.

Thanks again or your and garnuft's responses.

G.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513