Sadness

Bugsy

Jun 1, 2004
Rochester, Kent
Just to say it has been over 7 years since Dad passed away in a care home. I have not been on the site for a number of years until today when I read about those who have recently had to accept that the safest place for their family member is in a care home. It is sad that there is still nothing that can be done to stop this illness eating away the life and memory of our dear ones. I have my good memories of both my parents, mum passed away in 2007, but the feeling of helplessness in having to resort to having to see Dad in that care home never leaves me. I know deep down it was the only thing that could have been done but it didn't save him.
My love to all those who suffer.
Bugsy

janice1

Sep 22, 2009
up north
care home

my lovely mum is in a care home, she hates it, but she is safe, it is hard to bear that she will never come home. but she is well looked after, the home she is in is well staffed, she is on a one to one cos she is a runner. i live 150 miles from mum, i went to see her for the first time since easter, i know that although she is unhappy, she is is in a lovely home. and she is being taken care of by well trained staff. thankyou for popping ito tp tonight.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Thanks for popping back into TP - its always good to hear from 'old' members

One of the hardest things is to accept that a care home is the only solution when the disease takes over. For me it was the night time agitation, falling and me not physically able to deal with it. However now I know my husband is extremely well nursed and several people available to deal with his needs for 24 hours each day. He is content enough in his own world.

The disease itself is still hard to handle - not knowing what each day will bring:(

chana

Jul 17, 2012
europe
my mom died 8 months ago. she too was in a nursing home and it broke my heart to have her there. there was no dementia in her familyand a lady who was as strong and tough as my mom to end up like this---it sure is very sad. i didnt want her in a nursing home, but it reached the stage where nothing could be done. she didntr know anyone at the end,. you dont forget--my mom died 11 months after her diagnosis. my dad died from pancreatic and liver cancer. what a way to lose parents and they were great parents. i have my memories and it keeps them alive forever. we go on, but we do remember. i have great memories of my parents.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Oh Bugsy to read we are still "fighting" the same battles you did over 7 years ago, must be painful for you to read.

Thank you Bugsy.

You must have been one of the "early members" of this fabulous site. Hopefully being able to read, despite the same problems, this site is so successful and is still giving amazing support and friendship, helps you in some way.

xx

Bugsy

Jun 1, 2004
Rochester, Kent
update

Hi to all
This is a very supportive forum and it was so useful to me throughout my dad's time with alzheimers and I still log in. It is getting better the understanding of people with dementia although I know that until you live with it you would never know the actual feelings it causes. I hope that one day there is cure, I read lot of encouraging news in the papers, websites and hear it on the TV and that one day we might be able to do to eradicate it.

I know that in my hear of hearts that both my parents are now at peace and continue to look out for me but I still have the pain! Much love to the carers and sufferers alike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa