By way of introduction.

Sandpiper

Apr 21, 2013
Scotland
ginwarrior.blogspot.com
By way of introduction,my name is Seamus.I was diagnosed over a year ago.
Initially I was prescribed Aricept by the NHS professionals.After several months of reacting badly to it, I was weaned off and decided no more drugs please :(

I have read many others relating their experiences with dementia,all with the same inevitable similarities.I am no different and do not have any expectation of being so, with what is ahead for me. My nemeses, Mr Alz Heimer will undoubtedly win the forthcoming battle,however I hope to give a good account of myself as he nibbles slowly away at my brain.

My regards to you all.
Seamus.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi Seamus

Welcome to TP, sorry no one's replied but I'm sure others will too. Sorry to read of your diagnosis and bad reaction to drugs.

I have symptoms myself, as yet officially undiagnosed, but I'm not daft;)

I'm sure you'll find TP supportive and that sharing experiences will be beneficial to you and for others.

Best wishes
Sue

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Seamus and welcome to TP. My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 12 years ago.

I hope you keep visiting and posting. You will get lots of help and advice here and if you want a bit of light relief you could always visit the Tea Room forum.

Take care.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Hello Seamus

Lovely to hear from you. I am the carer for my mother in law who has dementia but there are many on this forum who have this and post regularly so look forward to hearing from you regularly

Thank you for sharing with us, you are an inspiration to be able to share your journey with everyone

Kairen

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi Seamus
I was first diagnosed just over eight years ago and have been on 5mg Aricept a day every since then which is just about to be increased to 10mg which hopefully help me a much as the 5mg had been doing... unfortunately the different types of medication don't always suite everybody's situation, have you not tried one of the other types of dementia medication as the benefits of these medications on our daily life are well worth the effort of testing, personally I would suggest that you discuss this with your doctor again!

Sandpiper

Apr 21, 2013
Scotland
ginwarrior.blogspot.com
Thank you to all who kindly welcomed me.

To Barry in particular:- 8 years on Aricept,wow! amazing.If it works for you then I wish you well,especially on potentially increasing to the higher dosage. Good luck.

With reference to my own situation, I gave it a fair trial, increasing from 5mg to 10mg after 6 weeks, even although I had not been happy with the lower dosage's side effects.
I considered at length with my Doctor, the alternative other medication which I could have had prescribed.However after my bad experience I was not prepared to trial any others.My situation was complicated with regular medication required for my other ailments,some of which was thought not to be compatible.

I prefer to take an alternative approach to dealing with my AD. As I alluded to above, I also suffer from several other debilitating illness's which affects both my mobility and general quality of life. However I shall remain as positive as I can,for as long as I can and refuse to sink into the depths of depression.With the help of my simple pleasures.

I sit and smoke my pipe in the garden because I love to; because I love that environment , which is invariably beautiful, particularly on a warm sunny day and hate the environment where crowds of people are found, which are invariably always ugly;
Because of all the sport, television competitions, parties, and assorted social posturing, I thus escape; because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate. My contemplation is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because Chickens, Flowers,Bugs and animals do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to the quiet,kindness, humility and endless patience; because I suspect that I am going along this way for the last time, and I do not want to waste the trip.
Because mercifully there are no bloody telephones ; because only in the garden can I find solitude without loneliness; because Wine out of a glass always tastes better out there; because maybe one day I will see something wonderful, like my smiling wife and sons; and, finally, not because I regard contemplation and smoking my pipe as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun.

PS.I am well aware of the health risks of my simple pleasures,so please no preaching.:)

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Nr Heathrow, Mum has AD & VD
Hi there, understand what you are saying about the medication. I have read coconut oil is supposed to be fabulous - there is a thread here about it somewhere and much annecdotal evidence of success.

Glad to hear you enjoy your wine and pipe and the nature! :)

Thank you to all who kindly welcomed me.

To Barry in particular:- 8 years on Aricept,wow! amazing.If it works for you then I wish you well,especially on potentially increasing to the higher dosage. Good luck.

With reference to my own situation, I gave it a fair trial, increasing from 5mg to 10mg after 6 weeks, even although I had not been happy with the lower dosage's side effects.
I considered at length with my Doctor, the alternative other medication which I could have had prescribed.However after my bad experience I was not prepared to trial any others.My situation was complicated with regular medication required for my other ailments,some of which was thought not to be compatible.

I prefer to take an alternative approach to dealing with my AD. As I alluded to above, I also suffer from several other debilitating illness's which affects both my mobility and general quality of life. However I shall remain as positive as I can,for as long as I can and refuse to sink into the depths of depression.With the help of my simple pleasures.

I sit and smoke my pipe in the garden because I love to; because I love that environment , which is invariably beautiful, particularly on a warm sunny day and hate the environment where crowds of people are found, which are invariably always ugly;
Because of all the sport, television competitions, parties, and assorted social posturing, I thus escape; because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate. My contemplation is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because Chickens, Flowers,Bugs and animals do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to the quiet,kindness, humility and endless patience; because I suspect that I am going along this way for the last time, and I do not want to waste the trip.
Because mercifully there are no bloody telephones ; because only in the garden can I find solitude without loneliness; because Wine out of a glass always tastes better out there; because maybe one day I will see something wonderful, like my smiling wife and sons; and, finally, not because I regard contemplation and smoking my pipe as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun.

PS.I am well aware of the health risks of my simple pleasures,so please no preaching.:)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Seamus

My husband was diagnosed 8 years ago. The Alzheimer`s medication didn`t agree with him either but I was grateful at least he had the opportunity to try it.

I hope you will be well supported here on Talking Point.

snedds57

Jun 15, 2011
Berwick upon Tweed
Hi and welcome to Talking Point. Keeping physically active and engaging in social events is also thought to slow the progress. And try the coconut oil!!

Your local Alzheimer's Society office might have things on that you could get involved with and they may have a support worker you can talk to should you feel the need to escape from your solitude!

Linda

Sandpiper

Apr 21, 2013
Scotland
ginwarrior.blogspot.com
Hi and welcome to Talking Point. Keeping physically active and engaging in social events is also thought to slow the progress. And try the coconut oil!!

Your local Alzheimer's Society office might have things on that you could get involved with and they may have a support worker you can talk to should you feel the need to escape from your solitude!

Linda

Thank you Linda for the welcome and advice.

Keeping active in my own case is somewhat problematic as I have mobility problems which precludes increasing such activity.My good lady wife and carer, was previously a senior support worker prior to my diagnoses and has links to the local AS office.My Parrot ensures that I never feel alone :D
As to Coconut oil,well as you no doubt gathered I am rather curmudgeonly :) and a bit of an old cynic when it comes to alternative and complementary therapies.From what I have read on the subject there just isn't any credible science to support coconut oil as a treatment for Alzheimer's disease.Sorry and apologies to the disciples of coconut camp!:D
Nevertheless I really do appreciate your kindness in welcoming me.

Il Gufo

Feb 27, 2013
Hi Seamus,
Regardless of Mr Alz Heimers, I can see you have a ready wit, and a great way with words. I have an image of you in your garden pipe, glass of wine, and parrot on your shoulder - very Long John Silver :) I hope you get as much love and support out of this forum as I already have, even though have only been a member a couple of months. I spend a lot of time looking after my 83 year old Mum, who was recently diagnosed with mixed dementia - and have learned to be glad for the good days, and with the help of friends on this forum, to ride out the bad days. So welcome Seamus! x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbertm