Sunday Express article today 'Foster a Granny'

greenengland

Jan 6, 2012
I managed to comment. I am hampshirelass :)

My mum lives alone...and no-one in the family can take care of her (everyone in the family nearby is either a carer or has a disability or both)

Mum wanders late at night and doesn't know who we are...but she gets half an hour of care at lunch time...that's it!

60's child

Apr 23, 2013
suffolk
Just read this article and was amazed but not in a good way.... It seems to be well meant but hoplessly naive. If husbands, wives, daughters sons etc have to eventually put their loved ones in home because they just cannot cope it would seem impossible for a complete stranger to do better, especially without "love" in the equation... and with the added confusion and fear that would be experienced by the fostered person.
I have a new idea. Why not "foster a carer" instead! That way the fosterer could get to know our loved ones and when it was felt they could be left with them for a while the fosterer could look after them in their own home for the day every now and then to give the poor exhausted carer a guilt free day to themselves.
Just my thoughts anyway :)

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Just read this article and was amazed but not in a good way.... It seems to be well meant but hoplessly naive. If husbands, wives, daughters sons etc have to eventually put their loved ones in home because they just cannot cope it would seem impossible for a complete stranger to do better, especially without "love" in the equation... and with the added confusion and fear that would be experienced by the fostered person.
I have a new idea. Why not "foster a carer" instead! That way the fosterer could get to know our loved ones and when it was felt they could be left with them for a while the fosterer could look after them in their own home for the day every now and then to give the poor exhausted carer a guilt free day to themselves.

That seems like a better idea ,

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
60's child;744961 I have a new idea. Why not "foster a carer" instead! That way the fosterer could get to know our loved ones and when it was felt they could be left with them for a while the fosterer could look after them in their own home for the day every now and then to give the poor exhausted carer a guilt free day to themselves. Just my thoughts anyway :)[/QUOTE said:
I like that idea!!!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent

An inspired suggestion. :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
There is a discussion on Radio Kent as I type.

The scheme is for day care or respite care not permanent residential care, as suggested in the report.

It shows once again we should not always believe tabloid reporting.

Last edited:

mum23

Feb 14, 2013
From my understanding this sort of scheme has been going on for a while in my area east Devon! I was a tad shocked when my mums SW said mum could try this if she wanted to! Then My sister finds a similar program is available in her are of Essex. To be honest I said hats off to anyone that could keep up with my mum!
I had asked specifically if there was any funding available for mum to share her large two bedroom council flat with someone else like mum, so mum could have a friend and the two separate care budgets could be pooled, thus more carer hours could be had, much like what is done for adults independent living scheme. I was told this would be very unlikely but they have this foster a granny program available!!! Lol not quite the same really.

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
My letter was in the Express!

I've just read today's Express and my letter has been published as 'letter of the week'!
Heavily edited of course but the essence of my letter was still there. It was such a rant that I really didn't expect them to print it - still, anything that highlights carers' lack of support to other people is a step in the right direction I suppose. I've tried to look at the letters page online but it doesn't seem to be there.