Colouring in

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
This post is for those people with loved ones with dementia who are bored. I realise it will not suit everyone, but it is worth trying for those who might be interested.

I don't think I'm contravening forum rules by posting the websites, as they are free to access . . . .?? (Moderators: please tell me if I'm not correct!)

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/artists/

This site has dozens of artistic masterpieces from world famous artists converted to colouring in format. You can try your hand at being Picasso, or many other famous artists! The first part of the site (leave out the /artists/) takes you to an educational site that also has hundreds of pages of animals - dinosaurs, sea creatures, etc. - all correctly drawn (as this is an educational site).

The advantage of such drawings is that they are not childish - altho' children love them too. (If you are downloading, do some extra copies for visiting grandchildren!)

http://www.coloringcastle.com/mandala_coloring_pages.html

This is just one of the many sites that has mandalas to colour. Some of these mandalas are very complex and might be beyond the ability of some AD sufferers, but if you look carefully, you'll find some simpler ones. Also, consider downloading and then asking your local copy shop to photocopy onto A3 paper. (Might be expensive so check out costs first.)

One reason I like this second site is that it has HEAPS of other colouring options - check out menu on right hand side of page.

Mandalas are very soothing for many people. They might have that effect on your loved ones - but please don't hold it against me if they don't!! ;)

If you have any success with these, you can Google "colouring + masterpieces" and / or "colouring + mandala" and should get other sites from which to download.

You can also look these up on any major book selling site if you want to purchase books of these.

I hope these bring at least some relief from boredom to some people.

PS. You'll have to type in the URL - for some reason I can't just add it to the post.

Last edited:

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Great Idea

Hi Nell, I think this practise has been adopted by the care home mum is in, the residents are given a drawing which they paint, then the painting is sent to the art society where they do touch up's and framing. Great Idea, and from what I seen, it was very much enjoyed. Mum did not participate as her hands shake when she grasps things.

plastic scouser

Sep 22, 2006
Hale Village, Liverpool
One of my most cherished memories of Dad is him sitting in our static caravan in Wales with his two grandchildren side by side, colouring in pictures of Thomas the Tank Engine that I'd downloaded from the net....

Dad was very confused at the time but this was obviously something that he loved to do - probably because he was very artistic but let this slip obviously as the disease took hold...

This is a lovely idea - especially for those who've got children/grandchildren...

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks for that, Nell. That sounsd like another great idea for John. I'll definitely check it out.

Love,

janetruth

Mar 20, 2007
nuneaton
Hi Nell

When my mum first came to live with us, I bought her all sorts of colouring and painting materials as I thought she would benefit, as she has Arthritis.
My mum used to crochet, make wonderful fried flower arrangements and loved to do her garden.
I try to encourade her to use her hands, but she is happier listening to music
and looking out at our garden, watching the birds etc.
I Think it is her Alzheimers and her state of mind that prevents her from doing these things.
The funny thing is,if someone asked her what she likes to do, she would say all of the above activities and throw in ' I like reading too'.
Before the Arthritis my mum loved to walking and dancing, she was always singing.
Mum was a 'Land Army'girl 1942/44 and in 1963 the whole family emigrated to Australia we came back after two amd a half years.
Mum has an interesting past and loves to talk about it, even though she gets things a bit mixed up.

Anyway Nell, thanks for the info, who knows my mum might surprise me one day and become a budding artist.
Take Care Bye for now
Janetruth x

janetruth

Mar 20, 2007
nuneaton
Please excuse the spelling mistakes.
I am partially sighted and sometimes press the wrong key.
I bet you were wondering what a FRIED flower arrangement was.
It could become a new pastime, if someone is willing to give it a try.

Take Care Bye for now
Janetruth x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
janetruth said:
Please excuse the spelling mistakes.

Hi Jane

Don't you realise, all spelling is automatically corrected when it appears on TP!:D

It really doesn't matter a jot. I often press wrong keys, and I haven't your excuse. I'm just a lousy typist!

Anyway, fried flowers are good. Fried aubergine flowers are delicious.:)

Love,

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Thanks so much for the info Nell - I have printed off your post so that I can download later. My hubby is not at all good this am so may put off trying out the colouring thing for another day.

As other posts have suggested it will be great with grandchildren - ours are due to stay next weekend so I will have the colouring sheets and pencils all ready to do with grandad.

Best wishes to all Beckyjan

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
My Mum has problems with arthritic hands and I've found that she seems to enjoy doing sticker books with me. The only trouble is, that the ones I've seen are rather childish. There could be a market for activity books for older people, using pictures that they might be intersted in. Grandchildren might also like to help putting the stickers on the right page.
Mum enjoys playing Dominoes, but I haven't found any other games that work as well. as she has poor vision and can't see small pictures clearly. She does take an interest in the television, although she can't follow the storyline very well.
Kayla