Could you advise please re POA

turmoil

Feb 3, 2013
West Yorkshire
Hello, I am after some advice regarding power of attorney. I have not felt the need to apply as I am on my Dads bank account and he gave me his house deed of gift in the 80's (I am aware deed of gift means very little these days) He has no savings.

Dad has frontal lobe dementia and vascular dimentia and is blind, he is frail also.
He has no short term memory and is confused. He would sign anything I asked him to so I came to the conclusion that POA would not be granted nor needed for reasons mentioned above.

I am starting to question myself, if anyone can give me advice I would appreciate it.

Regards

Turmoil

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Well it does rather sound as if he wouldn't be competent to complete a LPA anyway, so the question is do you need to apply to be a Deputy, I think.

When you say you are "on" his bank account, do you mean as a joint account holder or as a 3rd party? Because from looking at the new BBA guidance that Sue posted today, if the bank get wind that he has lost capacity and if you are a 3rd party, they will quite likely put a stop on the account while you apply for deputyship.

Really in a way you're gambling. You could immediately start an application to become a deputy, have it granted in 6 months or so, and never use it. Or you could do nothing, and tomorrow find that you can no longer access the bank account and then have to apply to be come a deputy (with the 6 month wait that is likely to happen), or you could do nothing and be fine.

I'm moving this to legal as that is the best place for it.

turmoil

Feb 3, 2013
West Yorkshire
Thank you jenniferpa, sorry I should have been more clear, the bank account is joint so I have a bank card in my own name.

Thanks

Turmoil

oldfella

Nov 26, 2012
somerset
Poa

Hi i have P.O.A for my father, there are two types now one for health and welfare and one for finance, we have both. He recently was taken into a care home and i had to deal with the benefits people, without a copy of the POA they would'nt deal with me even though I explained he is unable to understand what they would be asking him. Thankfully they now have certified copies and I can sort Dad's benefits and care home payments for him, I also registered it with his bank and now can deal with anything to do with them. Social services also needed to see the POA.
I hope this helps a bit.

turmoil

Feb 3, 2013
West Yorkshire
Hi oldfella

Thank you, this is what I was worried about that if Dad has to go in a home in the future are we going to have problems dealing with authorities. I really do not believe Dad would be classed as having capacity so POA would not be an option. I am his appointee for his AA.

I guess I need to decide if I should apply to be his deputy and research that.

Thanks again

Turmoil