Maggie Thatcher has died

Status
Not open for further replies.

turmoil

Feb 3, 2013
West Yorkshire
I remember my grandmother shouting at the tv when Maggie Thatcher came on, she hated her! But I also remember she voted for her, initially!!! My Gran died of Alzheimer's

I had my children in the 80's and things were hard, a lot of hardship fell communities, but I find it so sad today, watching the news:( Can we not remember she was a daughter, wife, mother, grandmother ect AND another family is grieving.

Turmoil

alex

Apr 10, 2006
I have huge respect for the Lady, I wouldn’t say I agreed with all her decisions but you have to take your hat off to her for standing her ground against so many for something she believed was right.

Personally I think she was the best PM this Country has ever had and I don’t think we will see the likes of her again (mores the pity)..........I think a light has gone out in Britain.

When I read about her final years with dementia it saddens me to see the deterioration of such an intelligent strong lady, I feel the same way every time I look at my mum.

I hope she rests in peace.
Alex

Last edited:

kee

Jul 30, 2009
England
Hi the problem with mentioning dementia after watching the film people would hear the word dementia and think it means senile dementia that’s where the stigma comes in when in fact we can have dementia and still be 90% active in many things and live for years, so I’m glad dementia isn’t mentioned.

Am I the only person who doesn't understand this quote? (dementia/senile dementia, don't get the distinction)

I'll be honest although my mam was ill for years I often hesitated when describing what was wrong with her, what are the right terms? I think a lot of people, even those who have relations with dementia lump Alzheimers and other forms of dementia together or use them interchangably. Or maybe it's just me..

On Thatcher I'll be honest I thought they were tiptoeing around the word dementia, understandable when she was alive, but less so when she's dead. I didn't see much of a mention of it anywhere really - so thanks for the links - her son spoke of her "illness", others coyly of memory loss. Obviously she was much more than her end, and I might be wrong, but I think she had dementia for 15 years? Which is a big chunk of anyone's life.

Everyone is different and we didn't tell anyone till near the end partly because we are very private but also because we were worried her few friends might abandon her if they knew. I've seen it happen, even my mum did it (oh they've got dementia, there's no point in seeing them).

I've drifted a bit away from Thatcher but stigma and lack of understanding obviously very much with us.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Kee I think Tony is referring to the fact that it isn't only in old age that people get dementia. On this site you will find people who have been diagnosed with early onset dementia as young as in their 30s, 40s and 50s.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.