Jel

Jel

Mar 23, 2013
Dorset
My husband has just been diagnosed with mild Alzheimer's and I need talk about how to cope

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello Jel, welcome to Talking Point. I am sorry to read about your husband's diagnosis, but I hope you find TP a great source of help and support. X

leedsfan

Apr 1, 2012
My husband has just been diagnosed with mild Alzheimer's and I need talk about how to cope

Hello Jel,

If you feel you can tell us a bit more about yourself and your husband, as someone has already said, there will be loads of people on here that will gladly talk to you. I have found TP to be a great source of information and advice but more importantly understanding and support.

Wherever you are I hope it helps to know people are thinking about you and your husband right now.

Take care and keep in touch.
Jane

Jel

Mar 23, 2013
Dorset
Husband diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

I just need to be able to talk to someone who is going through the same experience as me. We have no family and very little social life so I feel quite alone in coping with this. As mentioned he's only just been diagnosed with mild Alzheimer's but there have been memory problems for some years now.

We do have a memory cafe locally which I intend going to and am waiting for a referral by the memory clinic to a local support group but any other help and advice would be very gratefully received.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Jel

There are many of us here caring for partners and I do hope we will help you feel less isolated.

Please keep posting.

When you have attended the memory cafe and support group , please let us know how you got on.

Our support group was brilliant although my husband refused to go with me and it met only once a month. My lifeline was Talking Point.

Jel

Mar 23, 2013
Dorset
Caring and coping with OH AD

Have spent some time searching through the posts and have found it very helpful in that although most of the carers are looking after elderly relatives, their problems are very similar to my own. Today not so good, OH is in an argumentative mood and I am trying so hard to keep calm. It seems that I can do nothing right. I know this is the disease and that I am lucky that he can still do things for himself, with instruction I hasten to add. What I would like to know is when does a 'carer' become a carer and at what point do you need and find help.

Sorry this has turned into a rant but I feel better for it. Thanks for listening.

Jel

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Hello Jel and welcome to TP there are loads of people on here looking after there partner, my husband is 65 he has vascular dementia and was diagnosed 4 years ago but has had it about 15 , you will gets lots of advice here,
Sorry you are not having a good day I learnt a long time ago not to argue with my husband as it gets me upset and Allen agitated I mostly just agree with him ,I learnt to choose when to say anything and when to keep quiet , you probably will as well,Find help as soon as you think you might need it as it can be a slow process ,

Best wishes, Jeany

ginx

Jan 8, 2013
Hello, my mum has Alzheimers and my dad bears the brunt of caring. He doesn't have to do anything except cook for her (she refuses to cook now), she's clean, looks after herself, but has dreadful mood swings.

Sorry you're having a bad day, I know my dad says to remember, every day is different. They have amazingly good days and bad days. On good days mum will even say she doesn't know why she has bad days. Dad just carries on waiting for the good days.

Hope you are ok. It's hard - and I'm just a daughter.

Jel

Mar 23, 2013
Dorset
Caring and coping with OH AD

Hi everybody

Just a quick reply to ginx. Your dad is right, we do have some very good even happy days and yes I must learn to look forward to them. Like your mum Tel is clean and can do the basics for himself but he is quite depressed at the moment and finding it difficult to come to terms with what is happening to him. I suppose I am too.

Thanks for your support.

Jel