My life has taken another cruel turn.

hazytron

Apr 4, 2008
SOUTH LAKES
Hello Everyone! I can't tell you how relieved I feel to be back in communication again.

I was discharged from hospital on Monday 18th so my, estimated, 5/10 nights stay turned into 13 due to a set back along the way but overcome without too much difficulty.

Before surgery I was aware that I would lose two thirds of my right lung but ended up with the whole lung being removed.

Now, I will gently work up to some level of fitness and mobility which will involve deep breathing exercises and short walks so that my remaining lung will have the power to keep me going on all cylinders.

I will keep you posted, possibly bore you, with the details of my recovery and in the meantime I wish all of you who are caring for loved ones, with Dementia, strength and courage to carry on with all that you do.

Grateful to be here to tell the tale.
Hazel xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It is such a relief to hear from you Hazel.

It sounds as if you have had a tough time and I hope you have the resilience to rebuild your strength following such an ordeal.

Please keep in touch and know the very best is wished for you. xx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Deep breathing exercises eh?

;)

Great to hear from you. Wow a whole lung!! And there was me wimping about loosing an armful of blood (little pr*ck - the blood test not the doctor :eek: :D )

Take your time. Do your exercises. Look after yourself.

Why I said that I don't know, because I am sure you are doing all that.

HUGS xx

Last edited:

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Good to hear from you Hazel. You sound like you've had quite a time, but glad to know you're on the up now.

Wishing you well and will look forward to the updates.

Jan x

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
Lovely to hear from you Hazel, :) Take it steady & look forward to your updates when you feel up to it. x

Lin x

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Oh Hazel it is so good to hear from you:) It sounds as though you have been through the mill but come out the other side with some of the resolve needed to learn to live with the new body reality. You are made of tough stuff and I have no doubt you will do it. Will you require any ongoing treatment apart from check ups?

Wishing you well Hazel as you find the balance between rest and exercise.

Love and a (HUG)

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
O Hazel, you have had a rough time. I'm glad that it is over for you though.
You'll manage fine with one lung once you get over the operation - my mother did and even survived the remaining one being peirced by broken ribs after a car crash. The medics said that she was helped by her lung being so strong through having to cope on its own for years.

It is a major operation you've been through so take it very easy and rest then rest some more. Very best wishes for a speedy recovery. XXX

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Hazel,

I am thinking of you especially as Easter Day is nearing fast. Easter greetings to you and wishing you healing each day.

Love

turmoil

Feb 3, 2013
West Yorkshire
You are truly an inspiration and a kick up the **** to people like me, who has lost sight of true battles.

Sending you my thoughts and wishing you a speedy recovery x

Turmoil

hazytron

Apr 4, 2008
SOUTH LAKES
Hello everyone.

I am pleased to report that I am making steady progress. Pain is reducing and my walks are becoming more comfortable with extensions made with each walk I take.

On Friday, I have an appointment to chat with an oncologist. This will be to discuss the pros and cons of having some chemotherapy to lessen the risk of cancer returning. I am not at all happy at the thought of chemo. I class myself as most fortunate to have had surgery and all pathology reports show that I am clear, for now, and my surgeon assured me by taking the whole lung he had "got" it all.

Before the surgery I lived in fear of it being unsuccessful and from there on I have regarded myself as being cancer free and so very thankful for that and just want to put it all behind me.
To have chemotherapy and suffer all the side effects is not what I want at all. It will set me back in my recovery, I imagine, and I am scared about that.

Am I being a whimp?

When I was first diagnosed I wept in front of the GP and said I simply couldn't cope with another battle. This is how I feel about having chemo. I survived the surgery but I really don't want to be dragged down again when I am making such good progress.

Hazelxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh I can understand how you feel Hazel. It would be like hitting you again just as you are beginning to feel you are on the way up.
But it`s not my decision or my illness and I can only wish the best for you, whatever you decide. I do hope the oncologist will be able to help you make the right decision. xx

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I feel for you Hazel It's a hard decision. As Sylvia has said perhaps your consultant can advise you as to the pros and cons. Good luck. X

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Oh Hazel, One thing you are NOT is a wimp. You have had a lot t contend with, and just when you are starting to feel good, along comes Chemo. A hard decision, but whatever you decide has to be right for you.

Thinking of you and wishing you strength in your decision.

Jan x

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
Jul 18, 2012
Hello everyone.

I am pleased to report that I am making steady progress. Pain is reducing and my walks are becoming more comfortable with extensions made with each walk I take.

On Friday, I have an appointment to chat with an oncologist. This will be to discuss the pros and cons of having some chemotherapy to lessen the risk of cancer returning. I am not at all happy at the thought of chemo. I class myself as most fortunate to have had surgery and all pathology reports show that I am clear, for now, and my surgeon assured me by taking the whole lung he had "got" it all.

Before the surgery I lived in fear of it being unsuccessful and from there on I have regarded myself as being cancer free and so very thankful for that and just want to put it all behind me.
To have chemotherapy and suffer all the side effects is not what I want at all. It will set me back in my recovery, I imagine, and I am scared about that.

Am I being a whimp?

When I was first diagnosed I wept in front of the GP and said I simply couldn't cope with another battle. This is how I feel about having chemo. I survived the surgery but I really don't want to be dragged down again when I am making such good progress.

Hazelxx

Hi, although I haven't posted on your thread before, I am amazed at your courage and challenges you have so far faced. I would say though to listen to the advice about utilising chemo. If you think about it, the op and all that went before it, during it, etc. to remove your whole lung could be in vain if you miss the chance to have chemo in the hope to finally "put a lid on it". I had a friend who was so scared of everything when she had breast cancer and was convinced she was going to die. In the end she had many ops (inc. reconstructive), chemo, suffered side effects, lost her hair etc. but she survived, is living life to the full again, her hair grew back, and went back to work. Even though the chemo may disable you for a while, consider the longer term and the chance to keep "the beast" at bay. Wishing you all the best whatever you choose!

turmoil

Feb 3, 2013
West Yorkshire
Hi Hazytron

Great to hear you are doing ok, just wanted to say that when my MIL had breast cancer and they removed her breast she had to have Chemo, she had hers in tablet form, did not loose her hair ect and side effects were very gentle.

I am not an expert but do believe there are different types, and six weeks of treatment could mean loads more skiing hols. Write a list of all your concerns and questions and take time to think about what you want to do. All the best.

Turmoil

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Chemo isn't fun. But it's only for a short time.

After my chemo, It was a possibility that I would have radio therapy.... My worst nightmare - in the end, it was decided that I didn't need it - I then worried that perhaps I should have done. 14 years on, I still don't need radio therapy :)

Maybe this appointment is just to discuss options. Maybe it will be suggested that you have chemo - belt and braces - maybe you will not need to have chemo right now, maybe you could have it later, if it was felt suitable.

Maybe. Horrid time living through "maybe decisions"

Thinking of you. So many decisions, when making a decision is do difficult.

xxxx

hazytron

Apr 4, 2008
SOUTH LAKES
Thank you all for your comments, every one of which is well worth reading and taking note of.
There is no place like TP for support and guidance. I believe the Dementia Journey which we have traveled, or are traveling, enables us to feel the pain of others and in doing so encourages us to offer support wherever and however we can.
Today I am taking some very good friends for a drive out, they have been here for me through thick and thin and I am hopefully going to give them a nice day.

I will keep you posted on all developments and hope you have as good a day as possible.

Hazel xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Hazel,

It's great to hear from you. You sound incredibly positive and full of life and long may it continue. I hope your day out with friends is wonderful for you all - I am sure it will be.

Love

grumpycat

Apr 6, 2013
Life is so terribly cruel and unfair to some isn't it... you sound like a very nice person who couldn't psosibly have deserved all of this. My heart goes out to you...

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
Hazel,

I'm pleased to see you are making good progress. I've adjusted to a life as unpredictable as I experienced with my wife's Alzheimer's. Some days I'm pain free then unannounced suddenly during the day or night I suffer pains as though my inside is on fire. It makes me appreciate my pain free days days all the more.
One of the positives I'm grateful to have gained from caring for my wife was to value each moment of time I'm granted, and make the best of it. Crazy as it may seem, no matter how tired I feel I do my morning run just to convince myself that I can. If there is a tomorrow it can wait for now.
Life is one big challenge and each one you overcome makes you tougher, and I'm sure the saying that applies to you is correct: when the going gets tough, the tough get going.