Faces of Dementia Awareness

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
I recently read an article on a website where a gentleman wrote and I quote:

(I’ve been amazed ‘in my ignorance’ that some dementia sufferers have awareness that they have this disease, is this the same for all who have the illness? As I’ve always thought my father didn’t know, but now I’m wondering if he did. I’m also surprised that some people can still drive, shop etc, is there a timescale? Does it happen to all or just some?)

So having read that I thought it’s a good opportunity to elaborate on the topic of a sufferer’s individual awareness about their condition and some of the misconceptions that people have.

We all know that this illness can affect each individual in many different ways and I would say that’s very much the scenario within the early stages of the illness, and ‘Yes’ it’s true that for some of us including myself who was diagnosed just over 8 years ago with ‘Mixed dementia, Alzheimer’s, LBD and Parkinson’s disease’ can be aware of our condition and can actually be conscious of the daily affect its having on us and our loved ones ‘and’ be aware of our conditions slow devastating deterioration taking place… which I can assure you unlike happier memories of past is not a pleasant sensation to experience, and what tears me apart inside more than anything else is to be aware and see the anguish in my dear wife’s face and eyes and the knowing that there’s very little I can do to alleviate her own distress…

Personally I think a lot of this awareness is to do with how early the illness was first diagnosed and how soon the person is prescribed one of the special medications ‘which in my case’ I was immediately prescribed (Aricept) that is helping my daily life immensely… and maybe that’s partly the reason that I can still sit working at the computer typing and making recordings about my experiences within the illness and go shopping with my wife, but I must add here that for safety reasons from the moment I was first diagnosed I no longer drive as I considered that other peoples wellbeing were far more paramount than my own needs… which again is a case of being aware of the many implications of our illness…

I guess you could say that dementia has many faces of deception… and maybe sometimes like me when you go out for a walk or shopping and bump into friends (whose names for the life of you, you just can’t remember) during a conversation they might say (You don’t look like you have dementia you look very well) to which I normally reply (Then what should a person with dementia look like) and it’s not unusual for people to say (Well, um… old and feeble) the problem is that they can only see what’s on the surface of our persona they can’t see or feel the reality of the daily anguish inside us, and still many people seem to think that because of our illness we are completely unaware of what’s happening… but that’s not necessarily the state of affairs within the conundrum of our illness… it’s more a case of (Some can still be proactive, ‘but’ others for one reason or another due to the illness are unable to articulate any of the feelings, fears, emotions and anxieties deep inside themselves because of the frustrating tangled maze within the brain) in fact the enigma of dementia can go much further than that as some sufferers suddenly find they have hidden talents that might have been laying dormant within the alcoves of the brain awaiting for the appropriate time to surface as a coping mechanism… for some this can take the form of painting, singing, pottery, or as in my case Poetry and the computer which is something I knew absolutely nothing about until my illness, and for some despite any anxiety they are still able to do public speaking to raise more awareness about the illness… and yet through all this in the early stages some of us can be extremely aware of every debilitating footstep we take, although I’m realistic enough to realize that over a course of time this will diminish, yet having said that, I don’t think we should presume that in the latter stages every sufferer (just because of the loss of abilities) has lost their entire inner awareness and feelings that have become suppressed within the face of dementia…

So please look deep and beyond into any dementia sufferers hazy bewildered eyes and therein you will see a person still fighting their individual quest for existence, right up until the bitter end…

I close this with one of my mottos:

Every day of my life has been like an exciting new quest, but this particular quest within my illness, unlike the faded tapestries of my past days… is a tapestry that at some point in time will eventually be forgotten…

SisterAct

Jul 5, 2011
Liverpool, Merseyside
I close this with one of my mottos:

Every day of my life has been like an exciting new quest, but this particular quest within my illness, unlike the faded tapestries of my past days… is a tapestry that at some point in time will eventually be forgotten…

Thank you for your post Barry so positive and uplifting and for as long as I am allowed to remember it will stay with me forever.
Polly x

patilo33

Oct 12, 2011
Scunthorpe
I love reading your posts Barry. Such a unique and real insight into dementia from someone who is affected.
Please continue to post.
We all love you

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I appreciate your posts so much Barry. Your words help me see how I might be able to help my husband as the disease progresses - and, just as importantly, to look out for the positives to be found along the way.

My husband is in the initial stages of early onset dementia (58) and, although we have always been able to talk about what we are feeling or thinking, my husband has not always found it easy to find the right words to express what is going through his head or worrying him. This is not all down to the disease, he has always struggled to explain his thoughts and emotions (such things were never encouraged during his upbringing) - but with me, he has always had a good try :)

It really does help me when I can read the experiences and insights of others, because the more I know what might be being experienced, the better support I can provide.

Bless you for sharing :)

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi LynneMcV
I'm so sorry to hear about your husband starting along this pathway and almost at the same age as myself, try and be strong of heart
Best wishes
Barry

Starvin

Jan 8, 2013
N.Wales
Don't always understand whats going on myself but I always show my wife your posts as it relays to as I am feeling most of the time. Good for you as you help the carers with your insight and also suffers :)

Last edited:

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Many thanks for your reply Starvin and I can understand exactly what you wrote and your not alone as my own grammar, spelling, and writing is becoming very bad, if I write something by hand I can never read what I've written! so thank goodness for the computer and spell check! ;)
Best wishes
Barry

21citrouilles

Aug 11, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I loved reading your post, as it followed the thoughts that I had this week, thinking that dementia doesn't come in black and white, in absolutes or stereotypes, thankfully. It's much more rich and complex than that.

It doesn't necessarily show, like you mentionned. Last summer, when I brought my mother to the hairdresser, she felt comfortable in the non-demanding ambience of the salon, enjoying being pampered and having a lovely conversation with the hairdresser.

She too is very much aware of her state. She manages to express it, saying that she realizes that she's forgotten a lot of things. She only wants to speak on the phone to us, as with the others she says that she gets confused very fast, doesn't know what to say and feels embarrassed about it.

She's never confused about her feelings, and can talk about emotions and feelings clearly.

Last summer, she often woke up disiorented, and would fret about it, saying that there was nothing inside of her. I used to tell her gently that she needed only to sit down quietly, and that everything would come back to her. And it would!

We took a walk in the early evening, saw beautiful shaped clouds, with my arm around her shoulder. it was one of the most moving moment of my life.

Thanks to you, who has the courage to share your feelings so openly, we can enter the world of our loved ones, so maybe they feel less lonely.

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Many thanks for your kind reply 21citouilles, I just write about my illness in the way that it affects me and maybe has Similar affects on others who have some type of dementia
Best wishes
Barry

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
Well I'm pleased it helped Peggysmith, 'but' now I'm wondering why!!

Sorry Barry, I tend to be a bit cryptic at times and this was one of them:)

I've been having a very hard time for the past couple of weeks since MIL moved from hospital into a care home. Your post made me realise that I've been dealing with my own feelings and not looking for signs and signals from MIL. Actually, she's happier than she's been for ages. It's the company that makes the difference for her. We're getting to know the other residents now and they're quite a group of personalities not just a bunch of old people with nothing to say.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That's interesting Barry. I've always been amazed at the insight you and Norrms have and find your posts vey helpful.

My husband (I think) has very little insight. He was diagnosed 12 years ago and to begin with I think he did have insight and became quite depressed. In common with another poster's husband he didn't talk about his feelings. As the disease has progressed (last MMSE score was 6) he has become very accepting of his situation and I feel has no insight into his condition. I keep saying 'I think', 'I feel' as I can never be sure.

As you say everyone is different. You and Norrms remain an inspiration and help so many Carers to have an insight.

Take care. xx

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi Peggysmith and Izzy

Thanks for your replies and for your explanation Peggysmith and I hope you don’t think that I was being impolite, I’m pleased that you’re MIL is happy and in good company which as you rightly said must make all the difference for her...

I can appreciate that it must be very difficult to know just how much a person with dementia can still actually understand or how much awareness they still have of what’s going on around them, but if there is still that little glimmer in the eye or the slightest expression in the face then there must still be some insight and awareness...;)
God bless you both
Barry

Jasonette

Jan 5, 2013
Thank you from me too Barry. I could easily be the gentleman you mention in the first line--(If I wasnt female that is- lol) -- No, I mean my thoughts were , and still are sometimes, the same as his . Its a dickens of a job actually taking on board that people diagnosed with such a dreadful illness can go about their lives appearing the same as they ever were, in so many ways. Although Ive learned more about how it all 'works' now , it still takes me aback when for instance I see Terry Pratchett commentating so ably and appearing in his foreign travel programs. your insights are so helpful .

lstolper

Jun 27, 2009
Thank you

Barry, thank you for your wonderful post and if anything, it makes me aware that I need to become much more aware of the person with the disease. My father is about 12 years in, at least, with Alzheimer and my m-in-l is slowly progressing with as yet undiagnosed dementia. I can see with her the pain and confusion that she is experiencing and it is upsetting for everyone but at least I can now speak with her about it. My father was very much aware of what was happening and although there are still lucid moments, he fights it tooth and nail (so to speak). Thank you again