Has anyone tried to go from CH back to independant living?

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
Just that really. Has anyone tried, successfully or not, to take their loved one out of a CH setting and put them back in their own home alone with carers visits.

Nanna is really unhappy in the CH, but I can't see it would work moving her out again either.

Has anyone else tried it?

Pacucho

Helen

Just read your thread.

I know of a carer who took his mum back home from a care home to care for her, and she is much happier. However, I rather suspect her level of dementia is early stage, and I know she was put into the care home against her wishes by other family members.

Also, I know the carer (the son) does find it hard because some nights he does not get much sleep. But overall both the mother and son are much happier.
Hope this helps,

Paco

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I I think it is Padraid who brought his wife back to their home and successfully cared for her again, and actually improved her quality of life enormously.

However we are talking about a grand daughter and a grandmother here, and I personally feel you should not even begin to think about it.

Your user name tells it all really doesn't it. This is the name you took on before she went into a home and that is how you were feeling.

I think you really just have to tough it out, visit less, .

as long as you feel the home is looking after her properly, and that she is not in danger of being neglected, then I feel you have done more than a lot of grandchildren would have done.

Please start thinking of yourself a little

Jeannette

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
Perhaps I should clarify, there is no way I would bring gran to live with me and my children. I am past changing nappies!

If it was anything it would be her living back in her own home, alone, with carers.

I suppose i want to hear some horror stories to shock me back to sense!

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Helen, what do the carers at the home have to say. If they say that Nanna is eating sleeping and responsive, then, despite what she says to you, I would not think twice about leaving her there. If she is crying all the time and losing weight then yes think about it, but first talk to your other family and to her GP. It may be that she is clinically depressed.
You know, deep down, that the reason she and you sought a care home in the first place, has not gone and that dementia is insidious. It creeps along and then jumps out again when you have been lulled into a false peaceful state.
Do look at the posts that Isabella41 put on here. Her Mum desperately wants to be at home/sheltered/EMI unit/ Southern Ireland, but truth to tell is not happy in any of these places, because the home she wants does not exist....at least, not in this world.
My Mum has been in the CH for 10 months now and for 8 of them she thought it was a big mistake....for most of the last two months, it has now become a way of life, but, I do not kid myself that her want to be somewhere else may flare up at any time. However, as long as she is safe and well cared for, the CH is where she will stay.

kymdav

Mar 9, 2013
wendover
You sound like you know the answer really, just want help to confirm it's the right decision.
It is....
My mum has just been taken by a care home after living independantly with carers 4 times a day & I know its right.She is not happy but then she wasn't happy at home either, she just wants to be her old self & that's never going to happen.
I know she is safe,clean, fed & looked after. I can't ask for more.At home she was alone all night & we had paramedics called out 5 time in 2 weeks as she had fallen out of her chair or bed.Luckily no injuries but that was mere luck.
She has been in CH for 6 days & nothing bad has happened, she is safe.
Go with your instinct, you don't need horror stories to know it makes sense.
Good luck with it all, it will get better
kymdav

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
If the finances were there to give your Nanna the support she would need to be back in her own home then it would be worth a try if you think you could make her happier.

We all know that there are more people not getting enough care than there are people getting what is really needed.

How would you rest knowing that for maybe 20 hours out of 24 your Nanna would be alone, not quite understanding what is happening to her and maybe not even realising she is in her own home. As much as you woud want to fill these long gaps in time, with your own home and a family you would not be able to do it.

You constantly think of her now when you know she is safe and looked after 24/7, you will be climbing the walls if you knew she was alone for the majority of the day.

Please think very hard about this. I know it is only a thought at the moment but things are going to get worse as time goes by and what is not a problem this week will most likely be one next week.

If you had no other responsibilities, just you and Nanna to worry about and you could live with her then I would say maybe but with your present commitments then no.

Just my opinion, but your title of back to independent living is not what your Nanna would be going back to is it.

Chin up and take care,

Jay xx

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
Hi Helen,
Even with carers, your nanna would be alone for some of the time. Night times, (if she's anything like my mum) would be the worse times, the most fearful times. In the CH, there are always people around.

My mum tells me she doesn't want to be "in this place", but she didn't want to be in her house either. Maureen's post says it all.

I kept a sort of journal when my mum was at her worst living alone (with carers) & if I wobble I read it back & know she needed to move into residential care.

Perhaps if you read back through your earlier posts you'll remember how you got to where you are now.

Be kind to yourself

Lin x

babypie

Feb 29, 2012
Rubery,Birmingham
Hi

Just wanted to add my experience with my Dad,

He has been in a care home against his wishes for 6 months. He is very unhappy and says he wants to die and his life is over.

It was only the other day as I was leaving that something dawned on me, he was REALLY unhappy at home in the last year or two before he went in.

Added in with that was the double incontinence (rare now in the home by all accounts) with number 2 mess EVERYWHERE. Add to that never complying with the carers ( 4 a day) and insisting on frying food daily in between their visits and burning things etc.

Also the relentless phone calls telling me how unhappy, lonely and miserable he is.

I looked at him in his lovely room, so very warm (would not put heating on at home) tea and biscuits had been brought in for him, all meals cooked, his own big T.V and the bathroom and toilet so close, unlike at home upstairs. He looks clean and shiny and 10 years younger!

I though....you know what, it WAS the right decision that was made.

Hope this helps

bpX

matchstick

Dec 22, 2010
glasgow
at Wits end,
There is no answer to this,we have have to do what is right.In my case,as Jaymor says it is getting worse but I must and you must remember why you nana arrived at NH...she needed 24/7 care....we make decisions but we have no alternative,really.Keep on,keeping on thats all we can do..

Last edited:

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
Rajahh,

Yes I did take my wife home from a NH, but I put her in a NH in the first place because it was impossible to care and manage the large country home we had. There was also the problem with arranging an easy access to and from the three story building. It was not possible to move a wheelchair down a spiral staircase to the ground floor.

As it happened I could not manage the land and property and make the 30 mile round trip to the NH daily to spend 8-9 hours with her. I could no longer watch her deteriorate and made the decision to sell up and downsize. It took considerable time and money to make the new property fit for purpose before I decided to take a leap into the unknown. True to tell I was scared and apprehensive at what I had taken on, but also very angry at the many shortcomings I had witnessed in the care system.
With-in a day or so of taking her home I knew I had done the right thing as all the stress and anger vanished. It was our final journey that could end at any moment and I was told numerous times the end was close accepted that fact. We lived in the moment which lasted almost five years.
Should someone ask me if they should try caring alone at home, my answer would be a definite NO. It may be possible with the support of top quality carers around the clock.

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
THank you all.

You are of course right and I suppose I wanted just to hear someone, without their own agenda, say I was being daft.

She is so well looked after that she had just about convinced me that with a bit of help she would be fine. But some of the things you have all said and some PM's have reminded me of the reality. The accusations that thieves had been in the night to move her stuff, the times i went round mid morning to find a frozen dinner in a frying pan even though meals on wheels were bringing a hot meal in. Having to wait with her for GP's for hours on end because she was dehydrated even though carers were making her drinks. The time (and I shouldnt laugh) I found her face down naked in a fortunately empty bath and she claimed she was having a nap on the sofa.

What was I thinking! If she went home she might hold it together for a few weeks but then we'd be back to square one again.

Once again TP'ers you are life savers, and I mean that quite literally!

Orientate

Apr 20, 2011
farnborough
Live in Carer

I am aware of a friend who removed his wife from a care home because she was so unhappy. He was then provided with a fulltime live-in carer for which he had to make a contribution. It is called Direct Payment Scheme or Direct Living-in Scheme. He ended up with a fully trained nurse from Rumania and it worked really well.

DeboA

Mar 9, 2012
Ruislip
DeboA

I have read the blogs over the past few years and found them very sustaining.I took my Mum out of a care home and I would do it again tomorrow.My familyt(4 brothers and 2 sisters all married with families of their own) thought I was crazy but I gave or tried to give her the best last 18 months of her life. It wasn't easy by any means I gave up work to care for her.I cooked her fresh food which all had to be pureed as she had had a stroke.(The main reason I took her out of the care home was because she had had a stroke a few days previously and none of the "care staff" or "nurse" on duty had noticed,they kept telling me she was constipated). But when she was slumped in a wheelchair and was not able to squeeze my hand or smile It dawned on me.(She had had a bad headache e few days before, she had been completely unable to walk with help from the ensuite bathroom to her bed a few days earlier,she turned the handle of her cup round at the tea table so she could pick it up with her left hand. my mum never really complained she just got on and put up with things but you could tell she was lost in the nursing home it was too big and had long corridors with so many rooms leading off.I didn't really want her to go in the nursing home in the first place. I had gone on 2 weeks holiday and she was in a lovely new nursing home purpose built it was like a hotel. Everything was new and modern and clean and bright and impersonal and was just like a show home. It had no character or soul.Most of the carers were new and were being trained on site.Mostly from India or Philipines ( don't get me wrong but what did they Know about our culture or the war or our way of life. They were lovely and we made friends with many of them but it is not the same as having your family look after you. Yes Dementia is hard and challenging and sometimes you want to scream and cry, but people with Dementia are also scared and surely we are the best people to care for them as they did for us once. I did have the help of a great caring company SCS who came in 4 times a day to wash dress and change Mum they often got the worst of the deal but mum passed away knowing she was loved and cared for.RIP. X if you want to do it and you are able financially, mentally and
phsyically and have good caring support go for it .

src123

Jan 21, 2013
Scotland
Just that really. Has anyone tried, successfully or not, to take their loved one out of a CH setting and put them back in their own home alone with carers visits.

Nanna is really unhappy in the CH, but I can't see it would work moving her out again either.

Hello yes.

My elderly relative was extremely scared in the CH and unhappy. It had been her second move after we suspected an assault on her. We saw bruises. The social worker [Enfield] seemed to 'work in partnership' with the CH.

We were told of an assault in the second CH [which was council run]. We reported the matter to the police but once again the social workers worked in conjunction with the CH 'manager' and we heard nothing more about it. There was a second assault and this time the social workers decided to do their own 'internal investigation' with no family members present to represent her. The system was geared against her and spiteful to say the least. We lost faith in the social workers and had no faith in their judgement.

So we decided to remove her and bring her home. [We are her power of attorneys. We did this before we gave notice to the social work team and the so-called care home. They were the most malevolent spiteful individuals we have ever come across.]

We are now looking after her ourselves. It took several months before she stopped being agitated. She is much happier. I do not regret it for a second no matter how hard it has been. I used to wake up with nightmares about what was happening to her in the so-called care home.

We have carers for her during the day and I give her personal care for her myself at night and first thing in the morning. She is being fed properly and has for the first time got a correct diagnosis of her condition.

Terry big

Jan 24, 2011
Hayfield in the High Peak

Hi yes is the answer to that and its the best thing that I did for my wife. I now have a care package in place and cares come in three times a Day to change her. When she was taken to Hospital every month I have a weeks restpite, but when I got her back she was fare worse than when she went in. They just used to put here in a room with no TV or radio to listen to and heavily sedated her till it was time to feed here. When I used to get here back she had bed sores and was very distressed. She used to sceam a the nurses saying that she wanted to go home and Die. So I stopped her going, she is at home with me now and I have her bed in my front room the difference it as made to here is incredible. But she is now totally Bed bond incontinent and blind the only thing left is her hearring. She dos not no me any more but I put the TV on for her every Day and I have seen her on one or two occasions trying to sing to some thing that is on the TV. I feed here every Day but have to Liquidize all her food. I know its only a mater of time now before she dies, I just want her to go peacefully in her sleep. She is 63

comprehension

Jul 11, 2012
I am always asking myself this ?

The question you pose is one I have considered many times since mum went into residential care. I guess I feel that I have not been able to give her what she wants; which is for her to go home and then even with carers four times per day I would have to be at her beck and call 24 hours per day. The many hospital admissions would return due to falls which she cannot remember when they happened and ones which have been investigate for injury in her mind are only recent and not historic. My mum is constantly saying to me when I visit 'when am I going home?' However, I deal with this she always has an answer. I have found that when I do visit her this subject always comes up and it can make visiting her a chore. So I now leave when this happens and I try to phone her more than visit her. I don't think my mum will ever stop saying 'I want to go home'. The answer to bring her home would not be wise for her sake and I would return to the trauma of before which was damaging my health and more importantly having dire consequences for my family. How could I look after her then? So I have to remind myself that I cannot solve the problem and have to face facts that she is well looked after and safe 24 hours per day. That is the best I can do given all of the circumstances and my life and that of my family must go on. I still love her, and when I am not visiting her all the staff tell me she is fine and happy, but if I brought her home that love would be put under great strain once again.
I would love to bring her home and for things to be as they were but that is not possible, things have changed for ever. It is difficult to divide the heart from the head but unfortunately I have had to do so.

Nasus

May 12, 2010
Derbyshire
Tried, in that we did not want my elderly relative to be discharged from hospital to a NH but had no choice at the time ( would have had to stay in hospital or have a NH chosen for them probably not the one I thought was best). Eventually after many meetings/ phone calls Social Services did come up with a support plan for return to the extra care flat, however it involved me taking on semi live in care 5 days a week to cover for those periods that SS would not and paying additionally for overnight care. I decided this was not going to provide the right atmosphere for the relative and was not 'person centered'. I was also refused Day care which had previously been in place as the relative needed to be hoisted to sit in an easy chair...
I still think NH are a nightmare but have had to accept that it is all there is and so long as there is no real cruelty the relative has no choice but to continue there now they know the staff. I still visit every day as it helps me know they are OK.
Don't go into caring for someone unless you can manage the stress. The Power of attorney responsibilities are not the same as having to wipe bottoms and call out nurses/ GP. I have always been very grateful of the opportunity to mostly pass that part of the care over to professional carers who respect the relative's dignity.
Good luck with finding the right solution.

Jasperella

Dec 31, 2012
Back home

My mothers partner was devastated when we placed mum into a care home however this was best thing we ever did, she is truly happy there, however we did consider taking her out as her partner wanted to devote himself to her. After speaking to the care home we decided to leave mum where she was, she only sleeps 2hrs a nite and her dementia is getting worse. We felt it would more painful taking her out and then having to find an alternative placement at a later stage. It may be worth trying a different care home, but I hope she settles really soon :)