Swallowing problems continue.......

min88cat

Apr 6, 2010
MIL was visited by the SALT team a few,weeks ago and now has thickener in her drinks. We visited today and her voice is very faint. Her dinner had been puréed, but she was even choking on that, making the visit extremely upsetting for hubbie and myself, as once the coughing fit started, she was got very distressed. She was even struggling with the thickened drink.
It was difficult to tell whether it was the food going down the wrong way, or whether she has yet another chest infection - what on earth happens now of she can't eat or drink without choking? She always loved her food, but she seems to be getting more frail by the day.

Jenijill

Mar 12, 2012
Guildford
Hello min88cat, I'm so sorry to hear about your MIL. My husband is in a similiar situation in the Royal Surrey hosp (following a fall) and he's on pureed food and thickened drinks, but he's only able to manage a tablespoon or so. I go in each day to help with lunch and supper, but it's so frustrating as he has real swallowing problems and gets very anxious and holds the food/drink in his mouth. I think that when swallowing becomes impossible there's not much to be done. I just can't bear to write this as it's so upsetting!

All I can say is I completely understand how you are feeling, and send lots of love, hugs and support!
Jenny, XXx

Sox

Mar 12, 2011
Hello I am so sorry about your MIL it is so upsetting isn't it. My husband is in a similar situation - possibly slightly further on than her. He has been on pureed food and thickened drinks for about 6 months. He was not well on Thursday and was choking on the smallest amount of pureed food. The GP thought maybe he had had another TIA (he has had them in the past) which has taken his ability to swallow so he has stopped his medications and he has just been on a saline drip since Saturday. He is to be reviewed tomorrow and I really don't know what will happen. He is choking on his own saliva at times which is so distressing. It is a double edged sword isn't it, if we try to feed him it could go onto his lungs and result in pneumonia, if we are unable to feed him the inevitable happens - not a nice situation to be in is it. Sorry I don't want to sound pessimistic, just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and any others in the same situation. Look after yourselves. Sox

min88cat

Apr 6, 2010
Thank you everyone for your comments they are much appreciated.

I think,,because I am one step removed relationship wise, I can see what is happening. I don't want to tell hubbie what the outcome of all this is likely to be, as he is already fairly traumatised after today. We are back at the home on Thursday as hubbie is entertaining the residents in the afternoon, so we will avoid the lunchtime trauma. depending on how she is then, i will try and broach the subject with him.

I wish for his mums sake that she would just pass in her sleep without all these awful side effects of dementia. I think Sox that she was also choking on her own saliva, as the swallowing reflex just didn't seem to be there.
JenniJill, you have my full sympathies and loads of hugs, it's the most awful thing to witness.

Much love to all,out there struggling with this bloody awful diseases.

Luckygirl69

Feb 5, 2009
Halifax
Felt I had to reply as we are going through the exact same thing with my nanna. She stopped eating about a week ago. Any liquid they put in her mouth just flowed straight back out again. Yesterday she was rushed into hospital as she aspirated some porridge. They suctioned it out in the ambulance and she was admitted and put on an IV to aid rehydration. My nanna has had AD for 12 years now and will be 80 a week on thurs. We lost my granddad (nan's husband) 6 yrs ago to cancer. We have been prepared as a family that this would happen as she's in the latter stages. Our concerns were that the hospital would intervene and put in a line to feed her which we really didn't want because we feel it would prolong her suffering. She has no quality of life she is immobile and lost communication skills a long time ago. She sleeps a lot too. We met with the doctors today and told that they wouldn't intervene they would just ensure she is comfortable. Everybody is different and I know that even though we'd prepared ourselves for this it's still come as a huge mountain to climb. I love my nanna dearly n don't want her to die but she's suffered long enough now. We jst want her to be comfortable and at peace. It's jst horrid and incredibly difficult seeing a loved one go through this and also supporting your other loved ones. Stick together and u can get through anything. Glad uve found this fantastic forum. Some lovely supportive people. Take care and keep talking. It helps x x x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suzanne F