Dementia Rules OK? But I am not demented.

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Hi all of you,

I have to congratulate myself on one thing: I know Mum well and I have this special sense of when things are going down hill.

One word: Dreadful.
I am almost beyond writing, but I will write as sharing it here helps me to cope and it also releases the emotional pain. I know you understand, you aren't critical, and you know there is no winning here, just greater efforts to keep a sinking ship afloat.

Tears running down my face, I feel so traumatised. Everything that is wrong in her life she blames on me (at this point in the illness, I mean). And the child inside me is crying like mad at how outrageous this is. Dammit I am the one who helps her.

She and I are at loggerheads all the time. I urgently need to find a new coping strategy. The coconut oil is helping with lots of aspects (she can now write letters whereas she couldn't two weeks ago; her speech is often so coherent she could convince others I am the person with dementia; and she has this new found joy and laughter), but the dementia is still there. No respite.

I made the mistake this morning. We were all out with friends last night, and I got up late this morning (just 30 mins later than normal). Mistake. And four hours later the confusion, anger, upset are still blazing. On and on it goes..... "Who moved the Buddha in my garden?" [Answer: it is where is has been all winter long, but I keep silent, compassionate communication, never challenge, never provoke.] "My Buddha has got smaller, it is getting smaller and smaller." [Small intervention here by me, explaining that it is a stone ornament and cannot shrink. Provokes fury and utter disbelief at my stupidity = "You are a stupid, stupid person."] I get her dressed, tidy bedroom [heaps of clothes everywhere as is normal for Mum, 5 pairs of socks scattered about, all vests chucked in laundry basket, trousers here and there, and she wants to wear the dirty clothes......]. I whizz back across the road, as I live opposite, to get a nice breakfast ready, and her coconut oil fix, so the brain can kick in. Minutes later in she walks, furious. A thunderous (hatred? is that genuine hatred I read in her eyes? no, perhaps mere disgust at how horrible and stupid I am) glance at me and she starts telling my husband that a) I have taken her dog away [no, he is in her house as always, but I refrain from intervening], and b) she is hungry, where is her food, I won't feed her.

Now I have her watching Jane Austen DVD, cosy on her chaise longue, coconut oil dose taken and hopefully taking effect so brain will kick back in and the 'animal within' can relax. Minimal intervention, especially speech from me, as she tends to misunderstand everything when she is in a mood like this. I doubled her dose of anti-psychotic (I am allowed to do this but have never done it before).

So now I am back home and I feel upset, sad, traumatised, guilty, wish I had not stayed in bed later, and have a very very dissatisfied mother across the road.

As others have already told me, this is the most difficult phase of the illness. For the first time, I must confess I seem witless as to how to help her. None of the old tried-and-tested tricks work.

Now I am off to my Mindfulness course to see if I can squeeze some compassion out of some up-to-now invisible compartment of my brain. I used to ooze it, but it is so thin on the ground, because nothing I do seems to make any difference.

Now I have got it 'down on paper' so to speak, and I must get on with other pressing things. Wishing you all a good day, and hoping my day will soon take a turn for the better. Love BE

Christopherou

Jan 11, 2013
Liverpool
Hi big effort, your post is so very desperate and my heart goes out to you. It is sooooo difficult to see the distaste and annoyance in our parents faces, especially as its such an alien emotion to us. You are always so positive and so I know you must be feeling pretty lousy but you really an incredibly resourceful, highly compassionate woman, who is doing an incredible job. Hang on in there, your mum would have been annoyed even if you had of been on time, something would have triggered it. You are doing well in impossible circumstances.
I send you love, positive thoughts and a big hug xxxx

Jaycee23

Jan 6, 2011
uk
You must have some invisible shield surrounding you that although you hear, see and feel this aggression, it some how allows you to carry on taking more. My friends son has Aspergers and she copes with him saying everything he does bounces off and she said its a mental thing but her husband has to walk away and finds it difficult to cope with. Some of us learn how not to carry the load and sounding off on TP is good.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello BE
Sending you a great big ((((((HUG))))))
I hope that by writing on here and reading the lovely replies I am sure you will receive from the lovely people here will help you feel a bit better

This bloomin disease has a lot to answer for

Jrrs

Mar 4, 2013
Anger and Frustration!

My mother suffers from Lewy Body Dementia and lives with us, so I can fully sympathize with what you are going through. The anger and frustration get bottled up, especially when they are chatting happily to anyone else. I feel guilty if I run across the road to the shop, because as soon as I'm back I get accused of 'leaving her'!
Waking up a bit late seems (to them) like we have abandoned them - but (as I keep being told!) we have to remember that it is the illness talking and not the person we love.
I'm sorry I can't offer any answers - wish there were some!!! - but I can assure you that there are a lot us of out here in the same boat, and it certainly helps to vent frustrations on the keypad!!!
I would love to know what you do with the coconut oil since I did get some but haven't a clue what to do with it!!
Keep smiling, even if it is through gritted teeth!!!

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Coconut Oil info is shared in the Resources section of TP

@jjrs

I would love to know what you do with the coconut oil since I did get some but haven't a clue what to do with it!!
To find more about how to use coconut oil as a frontline treatment for dementia you will have to go to the Resource section of this forum. I must point out that coconut oil is not a CURE for dementia, in fact the lack of research means none of us know if it even helps, or is this all wishful thinking bla, bla, blah.

There are at least two threads that deal with coconut oil there, so you can poke about all you like. Please remember these are just the experiences of carers who note the effect on their loved ones....... sadly coconut oil seems often to be a last resort, when all else fails.... at least it was in my case. For me, my biggest regret is that I didn't start treating Mum with coconut oil three years ago, I am pretty distraught about that. Again, I speak just from my own experience, coconut oil is the ONLY thing that has brought more Mum to the foreground, and helps her emerge from the clutches of dementia. Memantine (Ebixa), anti-psychotics? Been there and done that (and the state/tax payer has paid dearly for it!). I am morally convinced that every person with dementia deserves at least a trial period on this brain food.

Right now my understanding of coconut oil (just talking about Mum now) is it seems to oil the wheels and cogs in the brain, and within 40 to 90 minutes of taking it, she is happier, more articulate, more coherent, and dementia is back in its cage. When I forget a dose, then Dementia is on the loose and Mum is in the cage.

Disclaimer: All the information here is based on my experience of my mother. It is anecdotal, non-prescriptive, nor do I have any ties with coconut oil interests. I just wanted to make life better for Mum, and coconut oil definitely has.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Don't feel guilty for the sakes of 30 mins especially when that might not have been the trigger. It could be the time of year too. Just like the darker evenings causing increased confusion, so can the longer days and the lighter mornings. My mother for example used to be up at the crack of dawn and having been told all winter to go back to bed because it is dark outside, getting up in daylight can't be wrong can it? Well, mum, it can if by 9amyouve been u so long you think it is lunch time and you've been denied your breakfast because everyone was in bed at e hmmm 5am! It took a few weeks for her body not adjust and it was,not easy as the days got longer.

as it is Easter/spring equinox, can you print off some chicks and colourful Easter eggs and go over with a smile on your face and a big smile on your face and decorate her room. Maybe take a walk together and fine some twigs to put in a vase and hang some Easter eggs and chicks from them? Maybe if you have some food dye in the house you could boil and dye some real eggs. Boil eggs, put dye into a bowl with vinegar pu boiled egg in and dunk it in the dye. Voila! Might just be enough to lift her mood.

I know what you mean by staying quiet as you cannot argue with them. However, I don't know if your mum is the same, but silence wasn't what my mother wanted, she wanted to win and would keep going until she smelled victory! LOL

Hope the coconut oil does the trick and you get a half decent day.

Fions
xx

tomkitten16

Sep 24, 2012
merseyside
Hi Big effort I have just read your post and only hope that your day has got better- from what you have said, this morning was a no win situation,mum might still have behaved the same even if you had got up at your normal time.This illness is a pain and I wish that there was something to cure it. Chin up and happy easter to you.Hugs Lorraine xxx

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Thank you everyone!

Thank you all for the kindness, concern and the fact that there are real people out there! Such lovely comments......

You know what? I am feeling somewhat better. I just got a PM from another kind soul here asking how my brother is, who had a big brain bleed (aneurysm) on Jan 5th. Well, that was the kick up my behind that I needed. How is he indeed! Do you know what, we have had our own personalised miracle and he is doing very, very well.

He can walk, talk, remember, use his computer (his line of work so very important), he can relate emotionally to us, he has a past, present and a future. And due to getting too sucked in to my disappointments I took my eye off the ball.

Life is good. Miracles can happen. People do get sick and even die sometimes. My brother is on the road to recovery. Mum is not but she has had an action-packed life and she is 86.

I am grateful that I have the opportunity of exchanging with the fine people I meet here. Thank you for your support. I feel supported. Now I can be a better support to Mum. Thank you all again.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Huge ((hugs)) BE xxxx

Maybe you need to step out for a bit. Take a walk and gather your thoughts. I parked my car yesterday and just sat staring out of the window for 30 minutes. Time out x

geum123

May 20, 2009
Hi BE,
I remember those so hurtful "looks" from my Dad too.
Enough to make me feel I shouldn't exist.

Big hugs wending your way.

I've just remembered.
Yesterday, March 27th was a full moon,
and Dad was always worse on and around the full moon.
I am always more depressed/ or hyper / or euphoric, on and around the full moon.

Just a thought, that there maybe other influences at play, as well as the illness.

Wishing you well.

Geum (((((((((((xxxxxx))))))))))

Last edited:

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Yes, the full moon may well play a role. As we were driving home from friends last night, very late, Mum was very taken with it. Think this isn't the first time, tho' I didn't relate other difficult times to this incident.

Wolf_howling_at_moon.jpg

And I haven't been myself at all, so perhaps this picture is far more representative of me than anyone with dementia. Hubby and I had a 'just us' night two nights ago and watched 'Twilight' on DVD. Also I had such a stint of lucid dreaming last night...... Maybe I should stop fretting and just go with the flow. I won't howl as this would distress the neighbours, but perhaps just accept that there are forces exerting themselves that are not present when the moon is in a different phase. Thanks, BE

Last edited:

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
Oh my BE, that's a big rollercoaster scooped you up today!

I understand how hurt you must feel when you are putting in so much effort for your Mum and yet, those looks that say, how can you, a person I love, lie and betray me this way when there's nothing wrong with me, I'm your Mother, how can you do this! Because that's the way I see it, and the hurt is more, the greater the love your mother has for you. The whirl of fog in her brain distorts her blame centre and inhibits vocalising her fear, can you hear the terror in her voice?

When my mother rages at me that I'm trying to make out she's incapable I try and use a very apologetic tone and say I am sorry, I didn't mean it to sound like that and, because I love her, I just want her to be safe. Doesn't always work but she eventually forgets she's not talking to me, so I'm lucky in that respect.

Big hugs to you, keep up the good work xxx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Tears running down my face, I feel so traumatised. Everything that is wrong in her life she blames on me (at this point in the illness, I mean). And the child inside me is crying like mad at how outrageous this is. Dammit I am the one who helps her.

She and I are at loggerheads all the time. I urgently need to find a new coping strategy.

Hi BE

This is such a hard stage to cope with, and one that just has to be survived. It is not your mum who is at loggerheads with you, it is the dread disease that has taken her over. You know your mum, you know that she would not treat you in this way.

You have tried so hard to fight the disease, but it is inexorable. Short of anti-psychotics, which I know you don't want, there is nothing more I can think of that you haven't already tried.

So you can't change the disease - the only thing you can change is yourself. And I do have a coping strategy for you - one that I have learned thanks to you!:)

Use your meditation techniques and call up your protective bubble (or shield if you prefer, I just like the bubble).

Your mum will still say hurtful things to you, but they will bounce off your bubble, and you will continue to give her the love and care she needs.

I have faith in you BE. You are a wonderful, loving daughter, and you have many resources to call on. You need them now as never before.

My love to you all,

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
More (((hugs))) coming your way,

Could you step back a little and try and think of your mum as someone else's mum. In that way she would not be able to 'push' all your buttons.

The other idea is to imagine a mirror reflecting all the upset away from you.

They are only ideas, your situation is beyond desperate.

Sending love and healing

Gx

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I remember that when the effects of the full moon were recently discussed here the posts were equally divided between those who said it had made things worse and those who said it must be the explanation for the fact that things were better.

Then someone pointed out that there was no full moon at the time.

Other people have posted about the effects of the new moon.

You pays your money................

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm sorry to hear that things have been bad BE. My mum had vascular dementia and lived with us for 5 years. Your post brings back many memories of her last year or so. She died in July 11 at the age of 93. I'm very lucky that although Bill's Alzheimer's is pretty advanced now )last score 6 on MMSE) he has not presented any behavioural problems.

Having read what you've been writing about coconut oil I'm going to try Bill on it.

I hope you have a peaceful evening.

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Thanks all of you for your continued support.
Yes, it is the stage of the illness..... and Mum would not be treating me like this, but then, neither would I be feeling so resentful and fed up either.

Could you step back a little and try and think of your mum as someone else's mum. In that way she would not be able to 'push' all your buttons.

Sounds outrageous enough to be workable. You see, I know if it were someone else I would be loving, forgiving, and totally take "what is" in my stride. It is the in your face, up close, and very, very personal nature of Dementia that I am reacting to. Stupidly, I don't seem to be able to distinguish between Mum (who would never, ever in a million years be like this by choice) and the disease.

Not feeling too bad now. she is here beside me. Tentative peace. Not ideal but bettter than warfare.

Night night all. And thank you for your support, I appreciate each and every one of you. Hugs, BE

Jacqui 99

Apr 21, 2011
Kendal
Hi BE
I,ve no experience of this behaviour (so far) but just wanted to wish you well and hope things get easier.
Meditation and mindfulness techniques are useful tools and I imagine they can help you detach from the emotional response to the hurtful comments, and help with the awareness that it's most likely the disease talking not the true person. I wonder if inside she's distressed at how all this stuff is coming out of her mouth and she can't help it and hates herself for it... Just thinking aloud there.. Sorry if it sounds like amateur psychobabble. Here's some more tho :eek:..... It can help to search for new ways of thinking about a situation. Someone I read once that "behind every feeling there's a thought...change the thought and you can change the feeling" and vice versa I think.
Anyway, heartfelt hugs and sympathy...xxxxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryMc086