I would like to be an activities coordinator

bellstar

Mar 15, 2013
Hi everyone, I am new to this community and would like your input about starting a new career as an activities coordinator. I am a care assistant at a Nursing/Residential home and have been there for 14 years. I would like to still be a part of the caring profession but i am fast approaching my 60th birthday and now feel that its time to change direction. I have thought about this job for a long time. As you all know staff don't always have time to be with residents on a one to one basis or group activities because of their demanding work load, and i would love to dedicate my time to doing just that. I would appreciate any help and ideas that you can throw at me to present to my manager for discussion.
Thanks so much,
Bell xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Bellstar,
I admire you trying to find out more before speaking to the Manager.

My suggestion is that you ring the Alzheimer's Society Helpline (0300 222 1122) as they may be able to advise what suggestions and information is available for Activity Organisers. I remember passing them information about The Daily Sparkle - if you google it I believe you can get a free trial.

Best wishes and good luck

bellstar

Mar 15, 2013
Hello Bellstar,
I admire you trying to find out more before speaking to the Manager.

My suggestion is that you ring the Alzheimer's Society Helpline (0300 222 1122) as they may be able to advise what suggestions and information is available for Activity Organisers. I remember passing them information about The Daily Sparkle - if you google it I believe you can get a free trial.

Best wishes and good luck
Thank you BeckyJan for your reply. Will google it and have a look xx

misssunshine

Mar 22, 2013
Hi Bell :)

A suggestion of rummage boxes/memory boxes, with old memorabilia inside them would be nice. It gives the service user something to 'fiddle' with and encourages them to reminisce.
You can do boxes for everyone with relation to old music/instruments, old beauty/perfumes, old wash/cleaning, wedding box, birthday box etc etc.
And you could do individual boxes personal to each service user, getting inspiration from their person centred care plan for items to put in it.

Music time, with singing and dancing. You could even include chair exercises.

Baking, if you weigh out ingredients ready into pots for each service user they can 'make' the cake them selves them send the cakes to the kitchen for baking and when they're done they can decorate them too.

It all depends on the individuals in your care and what draws them in, I'm sure it'll all come to you once you've started.

Good luck in your new role :D

susana53

Mar 15, 2010
Littlehampton, West Sussex
Hi. I'm an activity co-ordinator and would gladly help with any questions you might have. I'm the same age too, 60 next month :eek:.
If you want to contact me via pm I can give you some advice on where to go for ideas.

Coconutfrosting

Mar 26, 2013
Oxfordshire
Hi. I'm an activity co-ordinator and would gladly help with any questions you might have. I'm the same age too, 60 next month :eek:.
If you want to contact me via pm I can give you some advice on where to go for ideas.

Hi There,
I'm knew at this and am looking for ideas. I posted a thread this morning asking for help. I would love to share ideas with you, please :)

susana53

Mar 15, 2010
Littlehampton, West Sussex
Sorry for the delay in replying. I can recommend a very good facebook page that is dedicated to activity co-ordinators. It is called UK GeriaActive and you will have to request to join as it is a closed group. You will be helped by loads of a/cs and have a laugh at the same time.

Sue
[Tell them I sent you!] :D

sunnyme_123

Nov 11, 2015
I realise this is a very old thread, but I have just joined the forum... This is something I'm wanting to get into on a self-employed basis... I'm going to start contacting my local homes and organisations, but I'm also trying to prepare for any questions that may crop up. A big thing is how and what to charge them! Per person involved, an hourly rate, variable depending on activity etc. etc.
If you could spare any time to advise, I would be really grateful!

MeowCat

Dec 3, 2015
hi,
I work as an activities assistant in a dementia home.
When we have people coming in to do activities with us they normally stay for about an hour and charge £25 a time. One does music and movement and another does a sing along whilst playing the piano. They tend to visit all the different care homes in the area and seem to make a fair amount of money from it. certainly enough to live on. I hope this helps. :)

taz79

Feb 1, 2016
scunthorpe
Any help gratefully received x

I am new here and new to my job as activities coordinator!!
If anyone has ideas and tips please please help! lol
I have a cupboard of junk that comes with the job and its very empty with anything of much use other than decorations for partys which seem to be a big thing where I work! Anything they can celebrate they do lol
I want to really get the residents involved and so far Ive only managed about 5 to do anything as they are all so different and my cupboard is so bare until I know what I need to get for it.
Many thanks in advance!
Taz x

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
I came across a good website when looking for something to interest my husband - this link was actually posted on another thread but I cant remember where.

www.activitiestoshare.co.uk

as well as stuff to buy, you can also get a book called "Activities for older people in Care Homes"

Hope this is useful to you

betsie

Jun 11, 2012
Just to say, charity shops are a cheap source for lots of puzzles, games ( dad loved dominoes and connect4) and old memory items. Also once the weather picks up and the car boot sales start you can get lots of good quality things at a fraction of the price.

meadow flowers

Feb 3, 2016
I am new here and new to my job as activities coordinator!!
If anyone has ideas and tips please please help! lol
I have a cupboard of junk that comes with the job and its very empty with anything of much use other than decorations for partys which seem to be a big thing where I work! Anything they can celebrate they do lol
I want to really get the residents involved and so far Ive only managed about 5 to do anything as they are all so different and my cupboard is so bare until I know what I need to get for it.
Many thanks in advance!
Taz x

Me too! I start my job in a couple of weeks and I've never worked in this area before but the more I read about it the more I'm looking forward to it :) Also getting worried that I won't have enough ideas to give all the residents things to do that they enjoy doing so I shall be following this thread! :)