Aricept and diet

mad_geordie

Nov 5, 2008
Newcastle
Hope I have this in the right section

If anyone here caring for someone with Alzheimers that take Aricept, they will be aware of the possible side effects on the bowels.

Question is - have you noticed that any foods make the situation worse?

x x

big-mama

Jul 20, 2012
Scotland
Hi Mad Geordie. Hubby takes arricept, and we haven't noticed anything bowel wise, but weight wise has been a different thing. I've cut down portion sizes, sweet things etc, but his tummy still looks like a barrel drum. He's very tall (6ft 6") and slim everywhere bar his stomach and having to buy bigger tops because the ones he usually wears ride up his tummy. Mind, it doesn't seem to matter if he's eating everything under the sun or just small portions. I don't think it's "fat" but he sometimes looks like he will pop. The dr's have mentioned that we need to be aware of his diet because of diabetes, but so far, thankfully we're managing to avoid this. x

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Not Quite The Same Problem

Hello Mad Geordie , This is not "the same problem " but thought would tell you any way .... My Father has been on Aricept for 2 years ? ( think ) & it has not had any problems with his "Bowel 's " However Mum told the other day ( live very near Parents ) she was worried about his eating ( as in not eating much at Breakfast or having Cake / Bisicuits Mid Afternoon etc ) Have a strong feeling Mum was "fussing " as to me Dad looks ok to me & does not look skinny /lost weight .

Just a thought when your Husband started on Aricept did he start slowly on 5 mg ? & then "Build Up " to having 10 mg ? Only asking cos Dad was only allowed the low dose to start with ( 2- 3 Week Practise cos :eek: side affects / Dad was ok :) & had to have a check up & then was allowed the 10 mg after that )

Hope this helps & the "bowel " problem does not last & improves with time

Love Grove x

P S ..... Just checked my notes & it was in 2011 that Dad started on Aricept

Last edited:

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
My husband has been on Aricept since May and, other than the first couple of weeks when he had a couple of episodes of 'the trots' - he has had no further instances. He has an excellent appetite, eating a wide range of food - and I haven't come across anything yet that causes problems with the bowels.

Having said that, he is only on 5mg of Aricept (he isn't allowed a higher dosage due to a low heart rate) - so maybe that is why he doesn't have the same problems.

SnowLeopard17

Nov 23, 2011
Hampshire,UK
My other half had problems with his bowels before taking aricept due to diverticular disease. I do not believe that aricept has exacerbated the problem which remains ongoing.

Hubby has always enjoyed prunes with his porridge but i did have to stop giving him these as these seemed to cause 'issues'. Otherwise i find it difficult to pinpoint what sets 'episodes' off but we do steer away from spiced foods and excess fibre.

This doesn't exactly answer your question but i think it will be trial and error to find what's Ok and what isn't - maybe a food diary would help?

with love, SnowLeopard x

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
I checked Dad's Diary and Aricept did have a slight negative effect at the beginning, very short lived. Dad was always big on prunes, berries and other fruits for health benefits well before he had Alzheimer's.

However, for dad the benefit of Aricept outweighed this small side effect 1,000,000 fold (for the first three years of taking it at least). My memory is that it was short lived, as with many medications in my experience, just takes time for the body to balance things out. If it continues for more than a few weeks I'd check with GP.

Good luck
Craig

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Hi

My mother has 5mg of Aricept and also has bowel problems but this is not new to taking the medication it was there before. She does have Crohns Disease but no longer takes medication (GP aware).

She has Fybogel everyday which controls her bowels and if things look to be getting out of hand I up the dose to 2 per day for about 3 days and it rights itself (GP approval).

We did try 10mg of Aricept and it was :eek:so we dropped the dose back down.

Things are ticking along ok but everyone is different.

Best Wishes

mad_geordie

Nov 5, 2008
Newcastle
Sorry for delay in coming back. Thank you for these replies, very helpful.

His bowels have settled down a little and seems to have been an underlying problem. Plus in 2 weeks time he is due to get his gall bladder out.

x x

elizabeth30

Feb 22, 2010
In answer

my husband has to run to the toilet rather a lot first thing in the morning. The doctor tells me it wouldn't be the tablets. Since the tablets have been a big help over the last few years I wouldn't like him to stop taking them. Also this getting up to go to the toilet could all be part of the illness. He has had all sorts of blood tests etc but these are all fine

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
My husband has been taking Aricept since December and is fine. When does you husband take his medication? I was told to give it to him about an hour or so before bed with something to eat, in his case he takes a bowl of cereal.
Hope this helps.

mad_geordie

Nov 5, 2008
Newcastle
My husband has been taking Aricept since December and is fine. When does you husband take his medication? I was told to give it to him about an hour or so before bed with something to eat, in his case he takes a bowl of cereal.
Hope this helps.

will try this

Thank you

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hi mad_geordie, my mum has been on Aricept since November 2011, she had one month on 5 mg and then was started on 10mg, she has had no problems with any foods or bowel problems - so far!!:p have noticed that since mum has been taking this, she does eat more (great as she lost so much weight before Aricept) and she is enjoying her food more.
Hope all works out OK for you.
Take care
Chris

Barney18

Jan 5, 2011
Essex
My hubby has been on Aricept over 2 years and has bad 'tummy' every morning. He has lost about 10 lb has developed a very sweet tooth and I can't see what difference the Aricept is making. In just over 2 years he has lost a lot of his speech and his now having trouble walking and going up stairs. When I mentioned problems with walking to CPN he asked 'does he stumble or fall every day'. The answer to that is 'no' so presumably I wait until he does fall over every day until something gets done!!:(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951