Talking about Talking Point

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I have started going to the Memory Cafe in Northampton and when I mentioned Talking point no-one knew about it not even the lady who ran it:eek::eek::eek:

Next month they hadnt got a speaker so I have been asked to talk about Talking Point

They wont know whats hit them!!;)

I can also talk about my crafting and sell some bits (sold 3 cards today)

I feel nervous

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
You will do great Sarah , don't worry, just spread the word about TP and your craft work to everyone,

love Jeany xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
That is wonderful Sarah.

Why don`t you print out this Thread when it has grown a bit longer and take it with you .

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Oh, Sarah. I wanted and meant to buy some of your pretty, little Sheep at Birmingham but I was so nervous I flitted about like a Bluebottle looking for an open window and by the time I realised, I was on the train home.:(

Do some of your dogs and take them too, they are beautiful.

You will be marvellous. You know how much TP helps, you've helped a ton of us yourself.
Tell them how some of us would have sunk without trace if it wasn't for this place.

You'll be great, I hope 2jays can be there too that would be lovely. xxx

Pollyanna

Jul 8, 2008
Hi Sarah,

That's great that you can introduce TP to others.

It's such a shame that people who should know about resources such as this aren't made aware.

You'll be brilliant :). I'll look forward to hearing how you got on.

X

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Wow Sarah, what an opportunity, I expect we could all talk for ever about what TP means to us! I think there have probably been several thank you threads that you could pinch some quotes from if you need them too, I bet someone could find the relevant threads :) Hopefully we'll be getting some more new friends as a result of your talk, you'll be great. xxx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I have a job. Training for it on Monday. On line on Wednesday....

An Internet mentor for carers. Heard about it from the carers website

When asked what experience I had as a mentor I said none, but I belong to Talking Point, the Alzheimer's society internet support group.

This person from the carers association Said, I haven't heard of them.....

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Wow 2jays that sounds a great thing to do !

Yeah it does doesn't it. Think about it though....
2jays as your mentor.....

Anyway. A when are you giving the talk about TP?

Can't put it in my diary so I can come, unless you tell me the date!!!

Said in a lovingly mentor tone of voice - before training :D

muse

May 27, 2008
Cambridge
Hi Sarah

I think that's a great opportunity. I'm surprised that there are still so many institutions/organisations supposedly working with/for sufferers or carers of this illness who have never heard of TP. You'll do a great job at spreading the word.

Thank you for your kind words on my thread. I occasionally follow your photos on Facebook. They're fabulous.

Lots of love - Kathy

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
!!!!! How can this be

Hi Sarah
I really don't know how things like this can still happen and especially as the AS and some other people in dementia friendly communities keep on saying that there is more understanding and awareness about the illness than ever before!! Yet it seems that theres still a long way to go!:rolleyes:

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I have started going to the Memory Cafe in Northampton and when I mentioned Talking point no-one knew about it not even the lady who ran it:eek::eek::eek:

Next month they hadnt got a speaker so I have been asked to talk about Talking Point

They wont know whats hit them!!;)

I can also talk about my crafting and sell some bits (sold 3 cards today)

I feel nervous
Great news Sarah, you will be fine
Loads more will know abou TP soon

If it would be of any help you are welcome to use any of own posts on my threads or Blogs

I have a job. Training for it on Monday. On line on Wednesday....

An Internet mentor for carers. Heard about it from the carers website

When asked what experience I had as a mentor I said none, but I belong to Talking Point, the Alzheimer's society internet support group.

This person from the carers association Said, I haven't heard of them.....
Congratulations and good luck

Hi Sarah
I really don't know how things like this can still happen and especially as the AS and some other people in dementia friendly communities keep on saying that there is more understanding and awareness about the illness than ever before!! Yet it seems that theres still a long way to go!:rolleyes:

I agree with you Barry

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Your right Lin1
Given all the talking and advertising about the AS and dementia and the so called dementia friendly communities 'YET' people still don't understand, in fact I've just had an E-mail from a very good friend of mine who lives on the border of Devon and Cornwall, apparently yesterday he had to go to a well known hospital in that area that is supposedly a part of the dementia friendly community to sort out his very high blood pressure and get a blood pressure monitor attached to his body, when being examined the nurse asked him “whilst holding his file in her hand” (Are you on any medication!) he replied ‘Yes Aricept’ so the nurse replied[/U] (What’s that for!!) seems that the NHS dementia friendly community understanding of the illness still has a very long way to go! :eek: :rolleyes:

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Sad to say that , that doesnt supprise me
I had to call a gp for my Mum
that gp didnt know what Ebixa was for :eek:

I hope the get your friends high Blood pressure under control soon

JackyS

Mar 14, 2010
Cheshire
Hi Sarah - having met you in Solihull, I know you have nothing to be nervous about! You speak really well and your compassion and enthusiasm will shine through.

I don't know how people could cope with this horrid disease without TP - it's the only real, constant, 24hour support I've discovered - and it's "manned" by experienced staff who both laugh and cry with you as they support you on your journey!

Let us know how you get on!

(And 2jays - you don't need any training to mentor carers: you already do it - really well!)