The continuing healthcare con

yorkieinlincs

Apr 20, 2012
South Lincolnshire
Hi Flooz,

I've signed your very worthy petition and some others in the past regarding the same subject.
The trouble is with epetitions is that there are many which are aiming for the same outcome but each one gains only a few hundred signatures and, therefore, fail. If you search on the epetitions website for 'Care Funding' you will see what I mean.
I wonder if there is any way of combining these petitions together for presentation to Government or are they all 'stand alone'?
Good luck; I will do my bit and ask friends and family to sign it.

Denis

PS: Interesting to note that over 5300 people have read this thread and yet the epetition has only been signed by 318. COME ON people, DO SOMETHING!

Last edited:

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
We have 27,600 members. As Denis points out only 318 people have signed this petition. If we assume that they are all members then only just over 1% of our members are willing to support this petition. Of course, if any of the people who signed, are not members, the percentage figure will be even lower.
Of the 5300 who have viewed the thread only some 6% have signed!
There's something wrong here.
Would somebody, who viewed and decided not to sign, please explain their reasons. We could then see where we are going wrong.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm answering the questions that gringo posed only as a member rather than a mod.

We actually only have just over 1000 active members - that is people who have logged in during the last 30 (I think) days.

Why don't people sign epetitions in general? To be brutally honest, I think it's because people think they are pointless and not worth the paper they are (not) written on. I do understand why people sign them, I've signed them myself, but rationally I know they aren't going to have any effect at all because the people receiving them know how easy it was for a person to simply click a button. Cynically, I would say they are an option set up by government as a way for people to think they are participating in the process when they aren't.

I am always reminded of Yes Minister when it comes to epetitions to be honest. They are something Sir Humphrey would have thought up.

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
Yes Jennifer, I do know how many active members we have, but I specifically referred to the total number of members, which is still 27,600.
Jimbo's tag line "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world-indeed it is the only thing that ever does" Is most of my response. There are two other quotations that come to mind.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing."
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."
Surely you must agree it's better to try and maybe fail than never to try at all?

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Would somebody, who viewed and decided not to sign, please explain their reasons. We could then see where we are going wrong.

I'm not prepared to put up with the abuse I would get if I gave an honest answer.

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Yes but if they aren't active, they probably haven't visited the forum so they won't have seen the petition.

Surely you must agree it's better to try and maybe fail than never to try at all?

To be honest I think that depends on what it is you are trying.

Last edited:

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
Hello Flooz,
These two posts, partly explain why the petition has made such little headway on TP. It may do better on another forum.
Jenniferpa's negative remarks are worrying. She is effectively saying she doesn't agree with the petition itself.
More disturbing though is Chemmy's statement that she wouldn't comment because she fears that she would be abused. I would hope and expect that nobody would be abusive to anybody who disagreed.
This remark would be troubling in any context. No-one should fear abuse on TP., I hope it wouldn't be permitted anyway.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
The trouble is that campaigning issues often involve discussions that get quite heated ..or they would do if some of us were prepared to say what we really thought LOL! Then the moderators would, rightly, have to step in and probably close the thread.

The main people who benefit from TP are those who are in great distress and I honestly feel that the more bad tempered discussions that invariably surround funding issues only put off the more vulnerable and fragile potential posters.

So there are some of us who sit on our hands rather than speak as frankly as we would otherwise like to on some topics. It's not that we don't have an opinion, rather we feel that this isn't necessarily the most appropriate place to express it.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Don't disagree. I expect that's why there's a specific forum for discussion of campaigning. I just happened to remember seeing.

As you say, a lot of people who post are in great distress and the last thing on their mind may be whereabouts the post should go. But this one, it turns out, is in the appropriate place.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
And sometimes if the mods move a thread to a different sub-forum, complaints are then made about it being 'hidden away' by being moved from the mainstream. :rolleyes:

So the mods are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I think they are right to make sure the more vulnerable members or would be members are not intimidated or frightened off from joining or posting. They should always take priority.

bmw777

Feb 10, 2013
essex
might be worth adding this to an internet site like gumtree , for people to sign as it will be seen by a lot more people

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
This is a tricky issue for those of us caring for a parent as we will always be open to accusations of "protecting the inheritance". BUT, there's something else going on here which is inherently unfair to everyone.

Someone posted a link to a table about CHC. The headings are, #of people getting CHC and # of people getting CHC for 50,000 population. It was broken down by local authority.

Now, I'm not very good with numbers and statistics which makes me very suspicious of them. I looked up a table on the ONS which gave a breakdown LA by LA of population age range and had a look at my LA, one from the South and one from the North. The figures come out like this:

BANES #ppl getting CHC 421 #getting CHC per 50,000 pop 115 %pop over 65 18%
Croydon #ppl getting CHC 987 #getting CHC per 50,000 pop 149 %pop over 65 12.2%
Barnsley #ppl getting CHC 60 #getting CHC per 50,000 pop 13 %pop over 65 17.3%

Is it something in the air that means people in Barnsley are more dementia proof than those in Croydon? I suspect not:D

Worried Nurse

Jan 30, 2013
CARE HOME FUNDING - without bias.

I found another petition which appears to be gaining a significantly greater number of petitioners, might be worth a look. It is affiliated by 'Causes'. Perhaps it would be worth posting a link, but I haven't a sufficient number of posts to do this, and wouldn't want to step on toes either, but we all have the common goal don't we?