OPG visitor

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
i realise that this is possibly more fianancially based so moderators, feel free to move it but I am in need of pretty speedy advice so thought posting here might produce help a little quicker.

I am in my second year as Deputy for my husband and I have an OPG visitor meeting me in my husband's nursing home tomorrow afternoon and am a bit worried about it. I received the letter over a week ago but what with the Birmingham meet-up, I kept any panic down until my return. I informed the home of her expected visit and have got the spreadsheet I keep of day monthly expenditure up to date but didn't read the accompanying letter really thoroughly until today. I am now really worried as to why i am being visited. I had assumed it was routine but, after reading the letter and what a visitor does now I'm not so sure.

Has anyone any experience of this? I would be really grateful for any advice, or especially, reassurance.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Can't help Saffie, but just wanted to send you positive vibes.

If you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to hide. Please try not to worry.

Jan xx

rosiee

May 7, 2012
nothing to worry about

I had an OPG visitor when I was a Deputy for Dad, and its nothing to worry about it is routine. But I was also worried about it, although confident I had everything in order.

I was worried they'd upset Dad, he didn't like strangers asking questions, and I was worried they'd find i was doing something wrong. Like you I also did a speard sheet with all expenditure, which went down very well.

I needn't of worried she was lovely and very supportive. I expect they all do it differently but this one spoke to me on my own for most of the time. She had a look at the speard sheet and asked a few questions about was I was getting all the help I needed and made a few suggestions of things I could look at, which were very helpful. Examples, sadly were had I looked at end of life care planning and funeral plans. Not somethng I wanted to face but at her suggestion I did, and I was glad I had.

Dad came in the room a little later and she chatted to him, but didn't upset him at all.

After the visit I got a letter telling me they were happy with how things were going and they'd reduce the 'suppervision' I needed.

If you need to know more please let me know.

regards

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Thank Kassy. That is reassuring. Thanks Jan too. No I haven't done anything wrong as far as I know and there isn't a lot to do wrong now that the LA won't allow me to! the accounting is pretty simple this year and I am so glad this didn't come last year when it wasn't as easy!

Then a little voice says, perhaps it is to do with last year and me having to use Dave's money to live but they accepted the report without even asking to see any supporting evidence, even though I had everything typed and ready. so why would that be.

I know I worry about everything but the letter gives a list of reasons for a visit and none a simply random!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Thanks Rosiee. That sounds better. Kassy, I don't mind meeting them in the home, in fact I'd prefer it. I'd be nervous waiting for her at homeT. Dave won't be upset as here is a small sitting room we can go to once she has seen him. The letter mentions checking care as well so it would help to be there.

From what you say Rosie, and reading the letter, I suppose it might be to set a supervision level as with his funds having been depleted by the NH fees, it should be lower than last year though I understand from changes we were told about, payment levels are pretty much the same for most now. Let's hope he moves down to the lowest level of supervision!

Thankyou- you have all helped my stress level lower a fraction too. X

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
My figures didn't tally up either,so you can imagine how worried i was
You may recall that mine didn't at all for the annual report. I told them it was because I'd had to use Dave's money to pay the bills and to actually live and they accepted this without question as had the report advisor I'd spoken to on the phone earlier in the year. However, of course they do tally now as I can't touch any of Dave's money now once I've transferred half his teacher's pension over to my BS account - thanks to the LA. thank you Kassy. love x

rosiee

May 7, 2012
Hi glad you found that of help.

The level of supervision doesn't depend on the amount of money, my dad didn't have a lot it was more to do with their processes. Unless you have lots and lots and lots!!!

They start you on one level and if they think your doing ok you moving to less supervision, you'll prob do that too. It'll just mean its cheaper for you and they don't need to send a visitor, but you still do the reports.

Leonora7

Jul 26, 2010
Basingstoke
Good luck today Saffie. I had a lovely lady called Kathi Su**ees last year for my first supervisory visit. Nothing to worry about with her. The report, however, I don't even want to think about (until I have to in a few months!).

BTW still trying to upload the panoramic pictures of Solihull without them wandering off the screen!

Jenny

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
You will be fine Saffie, I hope you are worrying about nothing.
I hope it goes well,
Jeany xx xx

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Thank you all for your encouragement. I didn't sleep well - naturally, so am only now coming on to TP. I'll update this afternoon.
O dear - Polly, Izzy, Jeany, Jenny, Lin - I feel all weepy seeing you names come up - now I can picture you all, sitting in the lounge before we left. I must get a grip - the OPG visitor will think I'm dulally and appoint a new deputy!
Thanks again - such suppport.X

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Well, it's over. the lady was very nice - and you were all right, she was very helpful and said I was doing everything right! Apparantly, I should have had a visit within the first 6 months of becoming a Deputy but I slipped through the net, along with a few others, so that was the purpose of the visit. I did say that it would have been really helpful to have had it then as I was worried I was doing it all wrong.

Something she told me to do was to go on a spending spree on Dave's behalf! I've been withdrawing Dave's LA allowance every few weeks from the bank and putting in a new BS account for him as I didn't want to leave it in the bank so that things were clearer. Well, as he doesn't need a lot apart fom toiletries etc which I buy a load of at a time and he has loads of clothes and more here waiting to go in when there's room - and, with him being diabetic, I can't buy loads of nice things to eat - so it's been mounting up. The OPG visitor said to spend it as the LA will include it as part of his capital! She suggested a nice new huge screen TV! I will certainly buy him a nice bigger one as his eyesight isn't great and he is in bed such a lot of the time which makes the TV some distance away from him. He has a 26inch now so will try a 32! I'm trying to think of other things too, even if I save them for his birthday to give him!

So, all in all, it was useful, especially as she used to advise on CHC funding too, so we had a chat about that too. Told me not to use a solicitor and said that some of the solicitors who had been advertising about the CHC deadline were raising people's expectations falsely. Well, we knew that didn't we - it's not that easy!

Thank you all for your encouragement and suppport! I'm dead beat now!

Last edited:

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
What a relief for you, Saffie. Its refreshing to hear of someone coming along with helpful tips and information.

Re the CHC have you thought of asking the AS NHS CHC Volunteer Group? They were extremely helpful to me when I chose to appeal.

Hope you can relax and rest easy tonight.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Hello Jan. Yes, I emailed them in September and a lovely lady rang me. We were on the phone for over an hour and she was very encouraging. She said she thought that Dave had slipped through the net and told me who to phone etc. and to ring back if i needed her. If course, with over 4,000 applications, nothing is going to happen any time soon. The OPG visitor today wasn't that sure about Dave getting the funding but suggested I spoke to the Senior Nurse in the home about his chances. I will do so but am not too sure she will know. Still, I'll try. The visitor said she wouldn't want me going through the nightmare for nothing.

I will certainly sleep easier tonight!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Something she told me to do was to go on a spending spree on Dave's behalf!

Well I'm sure he needs a new diamond tiara, and a couple of jangly heavy 18 carat bracelets, a pair of cashmere slippers, a cuddly toy, :D :D

So glad to hear it went well for you today. A bigger telly sounds a good idea. Did she say you could use the money for travelling for yourself? It's a benefit for Dave if you don't have that cost problem in my opinion, do you have to be so precise at what you spend the money on now, have you now been given some flexibility?

Hugh sigh of relief on your behalf

x

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Did she say you could use the money for travelling for yourself?
I'm not sure that paying Cross country trains my repeat fare to Solihull was quite what she had in mind 2jays -but I wish it was!

Joking apart - no, I can't really justify Dave's allowance beng used in such a way as it's meant for his everyday needs. Trouble is his needs are few, it's hard enough for us to think of things to buy him for birthdays and Christmas! I'll get a new CD player for him and a fleecy back support cushion but will check with the nurse first as I'm not sure if he will be able to make use of it. I'll ask her if there is anything at all that would make him happier too but I fully expect her to say no. It's funny to be looking to spend money when most of the time I'm trying to avoid doing just that!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tfjala