restless and not sleeping

rache3185

Aug 3, 2006
East Yorkshire
Hi all, couple of things, just wondering if anyone can offer any advice on restless nights, when dad goes to bed - he sleeps where he lands in the bed, mum can't move him as he is just not flexible, so she waits for him to manoevre himself into the right place (this could take hours) or she just sleeps where she can, but then he dozes of for a couple of hours and is then wanting to get up again ! Mum can persuade him to stay in bed usually till about 7am but then when they get downstairs and have finished breakfast, dad sits in his chair and sleeps for the rest of the morning !! Mum getting very tired so I said I would come on line and see if anyone has encountered this before?

Going to get mum onto broadband over the next couple of weeks, because I know she would benefit from everyone out there.

One other thing, Dad has been having Reiki treatment for the past couple of weeks, really just so mum has time to have a bit of time to herself, but it is quite noticable how his mood and general being have been lifted (didn't quite no what to expect - but so far so good) just have to keep dad wanting to go for this treatment - sometimes very negative about it, but can't give up on that yet

Take care all

Rach

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Rach

Oh how I empathise with that!!!!!!!!!!!

My husband starts wanting to go to bed at about 6pm. I usually manage to hold him off until 8, but that's his limit. He's very restless during the night, up and down like a yoyo, and starts wanting to get up about 4am!

I'm constantly shattered.

Not helpful, I know, I haven't any answers. I'm afraid it's a stage of the disease. Not everyone goes through it, but it's exhausting for as long as it lasts.

Your mum has my sympathy!

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Rach,

My Dad is similar to your Dad and to Hazel's husband John. He wants to go to bed at 8/9 o'clock and a couple of weeks ago, having gone to bed at 8 came downstairs at 11 p.m. with a suit on ready to 'go to work'! He is regularly awake and having a shave at 4 a.m. and then spends half the day dozing in the chair. It seems to be a vicious circle. We try to keep him as active as possible during the day which does seem to help him sleep at night.

Partly as a result of this my Mum and Dad now sleep separately which is OK as my Dad can get himself up and dressed and doesn't need help with using the loo in the night.

He constantly complains that my Mum lies in bed half the day because she only gets up at 7 a.m. I have to remind him that getting up at 7 a.m. is an achievement for a woman for whom there was only ever one 7 o'clock in the day. :) and whose husband brought her breakfast in bed every day for nearly 50 years:eek:

Sorry, not much help. I hope as Hazel says that this is a phase that will pass.
Sue

Sunlight

Feb 12, 2007
No words of wisdom from me but I just want to say I have so much sympathy for your mother. I have the same problems with my mother - none of the sleeping tablets have helped her and the CPN is talking about trying anti-psychotics next which I'm not sure about.

rache3185

Aug 3, 2006
East Yorkshire
Thanks for all the reply's, didn't expect any answers - it's just reassuring to know its par for the course. I'll pass this on to mum and let her know she's not on her own with this.

Thanks all

Rach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caroline124