claypots

claypots

Nov 28, 2011
Birmingham
I am finding it hard to cope with my husband, He has started weeing in my kitchen bin, and in the sink, when I ask him why he denies it and starts swearing. while he still knows my name I don't feel that I could put him into care, but it is difficult at times.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
It sounds like your husband has become disoriented around the house. Is your toilet upstairs? If it is you could perhaps get a commode for him to use downstairs. Another thing you could try is to start managing his toileting. Just as they do in care homes, prompt him to go use the bathroom at regular intervals. This approach means that if it takes him time to get to the toilet and you have to guide him there, he is not so desperate that he jus does it in the nearest place.

What do you think might be causing the problem?

Fiona

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I'm afraid this seems to be a common habit for men suffering the various forms of dementia. I asked in my husband's care home why there were no waste paper bins around and was told that it was because one or two male residents wee'd into them. Before my husband went into the care home he also had this behaviour. It used to drive me mad.

I think the best solution is not to have any receptacles around which could be used for this purpose and to take/encourage (depending on the stage of awareness) the poor chap to the toilet often.

This may help to cut down the number of incidents.

xxTinaT

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Claypots,

I remember my late husband toileting inappropriately and it was a great source of concern for me which I think is natural.

I got round this problem by knowing that I needed to encourage him to go to the toilet. Not too often to get on his nerves but perhaps in the morning, noon and evening. I am sure it was true that he had no idea where the toilet was.

I do hope that you find a way to deal with this.

Love