swallowing problems at meal times

Polly1945

Oct 24, 2012
Hereford
Hi,

I was speaking to the team leader at Mum's care home, when she mentioned that Mum appears to have a problem with swallowing at meal times and she asked if this was something I was aware of.

Mum has been in the care home for 2 months and has settled well and up to now, eats very well. Eats everything that is given to her!

Just wondered if anyone has any ideas what could be causing this? They (care home) have a few down with the sickness & diarrhoea bug, but apparently Mum is OK and not unwell.

thanks

Pauline

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hello Pauline, may I say that it is great mum is eating so well which can be such a worry for us who care, have you checked out her menu at her home? maybe she needs more "sloppy" meals now, easy to swallow, my dear old mum now eats like a horse - after loosing 3 stone - but she has soft foods now, no chomping on a crispy apple or eating slices of beef anymore:D it may be a good idea if mum can be seem by a speech and language therapist who deals with difficulty in swallowing, am sure the care home will be able to organise this for you.
Hope you get this sorted out soon, please let us know how things are going.
Best wishes
Chris

carer0906

Dec 27, 2012
I was just thinking the same as the above poster perhaps a visit from SALT would be beneficial?

Polly1945

Oct 24, 2012
Hereford
thanks for your replies. A speech & Language therapist - I hadn't thought of that.

The home said that they would get the doctor to check it out, but as they have the bug there at the moment, would ask the doctor to call later on, as they didn't think it was an emergency situation.

It's good that the home are aware of this, as Mum isn't one for complaining. It has come on so suddenly though, I took Mum out for a few hours only two weeks ago and she really enjoyed a slice of lemon drizzle cake. Her favourite food is fish n chips too!

I'll let you know what the doc has to say.

Pauline

RoseMay05

Jan 15, 2013
Kent
Definitely no sausages !

Hi ...My MIL. chokes on things like sausages,roast potatoes,crusty things etc. She has meals on wheels and as she is partially sighted i read the weeks menu out for her to choose what she might like. I now leave off things that i know she will find difficult to eat. As was said a few posts ago...sloppy food is best. She says sometimes OOOh I fancy fish and chips ....I dont respond as i know she will have trouble eating it ...and it will be me cleaning up the floor when she has vomited it all down herself...like she did in the restaurant the other Christmas ....but thats another story !!!!!!:eek:

nanlaine

Feb 13, 2012
Hi Polly
Not that I take a lot of notice of the 7 stages of alzheimers, (because they overlap etc) but there is a stage where patients are unable to swallow, not sure if this means a move on to the next stage or just a temporary problem, may be worth you googling the 7 stages if you havent already done so. I do hope it sorts itself out for you x

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Polly,

Just another thing that could be causing the problem is to check your mum's mouth to make sure she doesn't have ill fitting dentures which have maybe cause some blisters or she might have thrush. This could mean that she isn't chewing stuff properly and it is causing problems with her swallowing. Whilst the care home are saying its not an emergency, there is always the risk of aspiration pneumonia if she is choking or the food is going down the wrong way, so don't let them wait too long.

Fiona

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Check your mother has back teeth - sounds logical but my mother was have problems with swallowing then the doctor realised she had no back teeth!! We no ensure all her food is cut up small and no more problems :)

Polly,

Just another thing that could be causing the problem is to check your mum's mouth to make sure she doesn't have ill fitting dentures which have maybe cause some blisters or she might have thrush. This could mean that she isn't chewing stuff properly and it is causing problems with her swallowing. Whilst the care home are saying its not an emergency, there is always the risk of aspiration pneumonia if she is choking or the food is going down the wrong way, so don't let them wait too long.

Fiona