not wanting to go out

thom

Nov 9, 2012
Middlesbrough
Hi my dad is 84 and has mixed dementia up until september last year he was happy to go out to local shops and take his little dog a walk, he also had a bet everyday and went to the local bookies and chatted with friends he has known for years. Then in september he had a fall and was in hospital for 7 weeks he also had a chest infection. Since coming home he has carers coming in 3 times a day to prepare meals and prompt meds (hospital arranged this) he lives alone although I see him every day before and after work. The problem I have is trying to get him to go out even when I offer to go with him, he previously walked with a stick but now needs a frame I wonder if this is the problem?. His next door neighbour gave him a rollator (think thats what its called) but that hasnt tempted him out! Would be grateful if anyone has anybody has any ideas how to get him to go out, I have managed to get him to go to a couple of doc appointments reluctantly .

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
My MIL is just the same. I've managed to get her out once or twice since August but it's been horribly hard work. In her case, it's partly because she's afraid of falling and partly because she struggles to walk. I took her to a joint birthday party for two church friends about 3 weeks ago and, in the end, it took the entire family and a neighbour to coax her into the car.

She had a lovely time once she got there:)

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
My mother has a walker but gets disoriented/confused outside of her home environment, therefore this could be what is happening with your dad. If his eyesight is not too good that will add to the problem.

My mother - although considerably older than your dad - does not go out unless she is with me, my husband or my son. In some ways I feel this is for the best as they can become quite vulnerable as things progress.

However keep trying to get him out he may just need someone with him. At the end of the day if he does not want to venture out you may just have to respect his wishes.

Best Wishes.

SussexDave

Apr 19, 2012
dear Thom,

Have you considered using a wheelchair. I had a similar problem with mum. As mum became more and more unsteady on her feet she became very reluctant to go out in case she had to walk. I was anxious for her to get exercise and delayed getting a wheelchair but when I did there was a dramatic change. Suddenly there was no anxiety and frequent requests to go out. Of course it will probably mean that you will have to do the pushing.

thom

Nov 9, 2012
Middlesbrough
Thanks for your advice its just nice to know im not alone! He has a brand new wheelchair thats gathering dust as he reckons he doesn't it , and he goes out everyday to take the dog a walk which of course he doesn't guess the answer is to keep trying and hope that when the weather picks up a bit he will get the urge!

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya thom,

Maybe between now and the better weather you could take dad out in the wheelchair for a walk with the dog and when you get to a relatively flat area get dad out of the wheelchair and let him push it and use it as a walking frame. We used to keep my mother's wheelchair in the car, take her out for a drive then let her walk and push it round the shopping centre or garden centre. Only time she used to make a miraculous recovery was when she saw a cafe, then I was left to push the wheelchair and I am sure folks were thinking I had misplaced the occupant! LOL

Fiona

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
"Only time she used to make a miraculous recovery was when she saw a cafe, then I was left to push the wheelchair and I am sure folks were thinking I had misplaced the occupant! LOL"

:D :D Sorry but that made me laugh Fiona!! :D :D

Hiya thom,

Maybe between now and the better weather you could take dad out in the wheelchair for a walk with the dog and when you get to a relatively flat area get dad out of the wheelchair and let him push it and use it as a walking frame. We used to keep my mother's wheelchair in the car, take her out for a drive then let her walk and push it round the shopping centre or garden centre. Only time she used to make a miraculous recovery was when she saw a cafe, then I was left to push the wheelchair and I am sure folks were thinking I had misplaced the occupant! LOL

Fiona