Dad is suddenly coherent! Can people recover from dementia?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Well, it sounds as though a stroke is likely then which would explain his improvement. My husband has peripheral vascular disease which affect his legs badly and his diagnosis of Vascular dementis was based on this fact and his having had diabetes for over 35 years. He had no scan though. I hope your father's improvement remains. Doctors are not infallible and although a stroke can be devastating, people can regain some of the faculties lost over time. Do keep us posted.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Keep telling us how your dad is doing duffer. Everything you say is suggesting that what has happened to him is rather unusual. It's so fascinating that not only did he not blame you but understood, even to the extent of wondering what your sister thought about it all.

I think you've been very sensible to pass this info on to people who might be able to explain it.

I'm sure you will treasure this experience whatever the future holds.

Raven1955

Jun 12, 2012
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?53406-Dad-is-suddenly-coherent!-Can-peo

Hi,

Have you had your dad tested for thyroid. It can display the same symptoms of Alzheimers...

Meenie29

Aug 3, 2012
My dad was in hospital for 2 months and has been in his carehome for a 3 months. He was doubly incontinent, couldn't formulate a sentence, didn't know who we were or where he was or what was going on around him.
I managed to get him into a carehome close to where my daughter and I live and we have been visiting regularly since he has been in the home.
I was stunned today when I visited - I expected him to be as he has been for the past 5 months but when I got there today he knew exactly who I was, started asking what had been happening to him and how it had come about that he was in a home. He asked if he was ever going to be able to go home. He even asked why he was in that particular type of home (alzheimers) rathe rthan just a normal residential home. I explained to him that he had been needing 24/7 care in every aspect.
Am I being overly optimistic in hoping that dad's recovery will continue? I am so afraid that the next time I visit he may be back the way he was. Can people recover from dementia?

I too have experience moments where my mum seems present...they are brief but even though she is still not the mum I know, she's in a better space and I cherish these moments to the yes, no and non responsive days.

Pottingshed50

Apr 8, 2012
I do feel for you Sueleivers and your situation. No one places their nearest and dearest into any form of Care Home or Nursing Home for no reason. It is quite apparent from what you say these , I will called them relatives for want of another word , couldnt wait to take your husband out of the care system for their own selfish reasons. You know your husband was in the best place when he was in the Nursing Home as has been proved since.

Our Mum was very poorly prior to Christmas , wasnt eating enough to feed a Sparrow, was in her bed 24/7, couldnt enjoy anything over Christmas but now as she is on liquid meds and they are obviously working she has improved ten fold. Not meaning to be harsh but I dont think it has anything to do with the Moon, whether there is an R in the month of something in the water, it is just good care. To speak to my Mum on the telephone a few days ago meant more to me than winning the lottery.

Keep your chin up. Thank heavens for TP.

Last edited:

Navara

Nov 30, 2012
How odd! My mother was markedly better on Sunday than I'd seen her for ages - I shall have to keep an eye on the calendar in future! Strange that several of us noticed improvement over the same weekend. Who cares whether its the moon or if the moon's a balloon - every day like that is a bonus.

deeky54

Jan 17, 2009
Better memory when angry

... Unfortunately for me the only time my OH becomes very lucid and clear is when he knows that he's going back into his CH or I try to leave him. He gets very angry and aggressive and very vociferous and clear - when he may have been speaking gibberish before...

Stressed51, this rang a bell with me. My stepfather has been diagnosed about 5 years now, and I have noticed that when he is angry, his memory is clearer and he remembers things he had previously apparently forgotten.

I speculate that his blood pressure rises when he is angry, thus more blood flow to the head, and more firing between the synapses, and thus better recall.

Am not a medical person, so only guessing.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
My dad was in hospital for 2 months and has been in his carehome for a 3 months. He was doubly incontinent, couldn't formulate a sentence, didn't know who we were or where he was or what was going on around him.
I managed to get him into a carehome close to where my daughter and I live and we have been visiting regularly since he has been in the home.
I was stunned today when I visited - I expected him to be as he has been for the past 5 months but when I got there today he knew exactly who I was, started asking what had been happening to him and how it had come about that he was in a home. He asked if he was ever going to be able to go home. He even asked why he was in that particular type of home (alzheimers) rathe rthan just a normal residential home. I explained to him that he had been needing 24/7 care in every aspect.
Am I being overly optimistic in hoping that dad's recovery will continue? I am so afraid that the next time I visit he may be back the way he was. Can people recover from dementia?

I don’t think its about so much about recovery, word Dementia - a state of serious mental health deterioration so if a person is diagnosed at early on set stage obviously thats going to effect them for a while when first diagnosed but if they accept it and stop thinking and worrying about the condition, they can carry with their daily lives and it may take 25 years or more to get to the final sage and possibly some with die of another illness or accident before they ever get to the finial stage of dementia, there are several people with dementia on Talking Point who write threads and reply to thread here for 8 to 10 years look them up see what they achieve , the thing is if you got dementia keep active don’t stop doing anything you have done and don’t give into pressure from others remember every one must fight their own battles ok you may have a great family but most of the time they will fight for what they think is best for you I have a great family but I’m in control

ejkat

Dec 4, 2012
Randomness

Yes..so enjoy the good times when they come..the good days..so enjoy the hugs
and kisses. I am a retired nurse. My husband has Alzheimers and Vascular Dementia.
His situation can change hourly. Never to know what in the world. And there are
periods when you can think..oh, he is declining and on his deathbed..and then times
when so much of the real personality is there...but no..I have never heard of any
one to have recovered from dementia..but this can be true..infections, medication
side effects, depression..they can have some very simiar symptoms of dementia..

3 years ago my husband had a raging urinary infection..he hardly knew anything..
he couldn't report to me...he got feces on himself from head to toe...then he
was in a wheelchair and I'd help lift and transport him to the toilet and one day he
pointed to his anus and said ..it won;t come out...it gave me no clue cause..that
part of him was functioning....he was so down hill I got him to the ER...and once
he was on antigiotics and the infection started clearing...he was so lucid ..I can't
tell you how much so...

Please pray for me. Tonite was the first night of extreme confusion with an object.
His son called him..they talked.said bye. And right after..he picked up his coffee
mug and starte talking to his son..thinking the mug was the phone..there are
some other things going on ..here in America..there is no great universal heath
care...and my husband had no private ins. coverage for all of this..Our heat-A/C
pump died Sat night..it's a cold spell here.this morning it was 23 degrees..I have
to get a new one of those..it can't be repaired any more...The week of Thanksgiving,
I had to have all of my upper teeth extracted..well..a pump and a denture..that
will be out of pocket. A hospice C.N.A. comes in the mornings..I hire a private
agency out of pocket to help a few hours at night a few nights a week..No family
lives in this state of South Carolina..our kids sturng out from D.C. to Phoenix...

My love has been completely bedridden since Aug. He still knows me..but, he
knows very few people...and every day..every day at some point he wants me
to take him to the toilet..tries not to go lying in bed..and every time he gets
shocked about it. He's been double incontient to some degree for nearly 4 years.

So..there is so much to be concerned about..it's 5:30am here and with so much
going on...I could not sleep a wink..today the new heat pump/a/c will be installed,
then I have to go to the dentist...I'm just tired of stuff failing...tired of doctors,
nurses and all such..I guess you'd call this a rant.

But, as a hospice R.N. explained to me..demeentia is RANDOM and that is a
coping word I use..as the situation changes back and forth and one tries to
adjust..one day it can seem like death and the next day.you can feel like you'd
be the one to die first...I shall quit now..I am happy for your for a good period...

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I don’t think its about so much about recovery, word Dementia - a state of serious mental health deterioration so if a person is diagnosed at early on set stage obviously thats going to effect them for a while when first diagnosed but if they accept it and stop thinking and worrying about the condition, they can carry with their daily lives and it may take 25 years or more to get to the final sage and possibly some with die of another illness or accident before they ever get to the finial stage of dementia, there are several people with dementia on Talking Point who write threads and reply to thread here for 8 to 10 years look them up see what they achieve , the thing is if you got dementia keep active don’t stop doing anything you have done and don’t give into pressure from others remember every one must fight their own battles ok you may have a great family but most of the time they will fight for what they think is best for you I have a great family but I’m in control

Very wise and helpful words Tony. I'm sure you accept that not everyone who has dementia will be able to achieve what you have, but you have certainly proved that, for some people, it is possible to live a relatively normal life for many years after diagnosis. This helps to counter the despair that many carers understandably feel at times.

As you say, there are several people like you who are able to use TP very well to help us understand what is possible for some.

Another example who should be known about more widely is:

http://www.morrisfriedell.com/

stefania

Dec 13, 2011
In and out

I can so relate to everything people have said. My dad went into hospitalon 11th January with pneumonia. The first 5 days he was so aggitated and even though he knew everybody he was so scared. He was moved wards to a dementia/elderley ward and they diagnosed him with a perforated appendix and told us he had days left. They pumped him full of antibiotics and with a few days he seemed the most coherent I had seen him in months. He has been in hospital now for 4 weeks and we are moving him to a care home on Thursday. Myself and my mum go in every afternoon and stay for as long as the staff will let us. We have days when he is very good and we think we can bring him home and that he doesn't need to go into a home. (I built on an annexe to my house so that we would never have to take my parents to a care home) Then other days he is so agitated that we know we could not cope with him at home. When he is pleading with us to home it has been difficult. The one thing that keeps me going is when he was at home he was always asking to go home!! so I know that where ever he is he will want to go home, as home is where he was born and the house where he grew up.
I have to say I do agree with the moon affecting people. I work with children and the children are always worse on full moons we have actually plotted so children. If you think we are 75% water in our bodies and the moon can affect the seas to have tides then it is logical to say that it affects us a humans. We see a difference with low pressure weather and wind with the children as well.
I am at the moment trying to put together photo's for my dad for his room which is difficult as I don't know whether to put new ones of us all or old ones!!!!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
So, are we talking full moon here or new moon? both have been mentioned here.
Out of interest I've looked at the lunar calendar and there were neither this past weekend!
The last new moon was on 18th January and the next will be the 16th February.
The last full moon was 26th January and the next will be on 25th February.
So we shall be able to see what occurs.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
So, are we talking full moon here or new moon? both have been mentioned here.
Out of interest I've looked at the lunar calendar and there were neither this past weekend!
The last new moon was on 18th January and the next will be the 16th February.
The last full moon was 26th January and the next will be on 25th February.
So we shall be able to see what occurs.

Well-spotted Saffie.:D

When people post their responses after those dates, it will be most useful if they would specify whether the 'influence' is good or bad.;)

stefania,
'If you think we are 75% water in our bodies and the moon can affect the seas to have tides then it is logical to say that it affects us a humans.'

Sorry - where's the logic?

As a teacher, I observed how wind can excite children, as can snow, thunder and Thursdays! All quite understandable - we used to think Thursdays because some kids were reaching the end of their fuse by then whereas if they made it through till Friday, they (those that came in on Friday:)) knew there wasn't long to go.

As a head I sometimes thought we teachers responded similarly.:)

britlec

Jan 17, 2013
Italy
I loved your post. It's almost a poem. I also wish for my father a gentle drift into oblivion rather than this terrible sloughing off of dignity, the daily anguish of knowing his mind is turning to mush...
I don't think it has anything to do with the Moon.

It is, I think, simply the massive intricacies of the brain.

We know so much but we know so little,
but we know what we know.

Scientists who study for years and make it their lifes work, vocation,
would tell you, if you asked them,
they don't have much of an idea how the brain works.

But some things they know.

Alzheimer's is a progressive illness.
It doesn't have any indications that it could get better, in fact, the contrary.

Things, external to the brain, with my mother, make a definite difference,
but only in some ways.
In no way is she ever as she was before the illness/diagnosis.
She may be lucid at times but her brain has been degraded and taken away by the erroneously, in some cases, in her case, illness known as Dementia.

She isn't demented.

There are times though when, if I didn't know her better, I would think she was fine,
A. OK.

But I know her better and I wish she could have had the sweet, shrouded by death but clutching your dignity to the end, end, that I want for myself.

I'm sorry to seem hard but it is what I think and hoping just leads to disappointment.

Budgie

Jun 25, 2010
hertfordshire

I think that my comments sent about an hour ago may have got lost because there is no way that I can find them again on my computer. If I am wrong then please scrap this.

Three months ago I was advised to give my wife, who lives at home and was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 5 years ago, decaf tea and coffee in an evening to see if it improved her sleep pattern. As she drinks up to 12 cups of tea a day and one coffee I decided to put her on decaff all day. Her personality has improved considerably and I feel I have got a little bit of my wife back. There is only very slight improvement to her continuity of sleep.

She is much calmer in some situations yet livelier in others. No longer is she happy to sit in silence whilst others converce. She likes to try to join in albeit at a low level. She is much better if she introduces a topic. Previously she would not let me watch a TV programme without constant interruption, often every 2 minutes! I can now watch a programme with little interruption. Her retained sense of humoour is much more pronounced and she looks a lot brighter and healthier although at times she has that dull look with which we are all familier.

Barbara still has the 24 or so behaviour changes which have developed over the years and which occur every day apart from what was the most stressful - getting ready for bed. This now passes off calmly. I do not ,therefore, think that we can bank on a reversal of the dementia as such. What I believe is that we should watch carefully what those we care for take in by way of food and drink and accept that changes
may occur which are helpful but not part of the main stream dementia. I am certainly far less stressed.!!!!

Budgie

vaz

Mar 23, 2012
Thought this is very interesting. I hope he continues to make good progress. Just out of interest, was he given steroids.

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Nr Heathrow, Mum has AD & VD
I am very interested in your question Vaz as my Dad was given a steroid just over a month before he died and he was back like when he was aged 50 - looked at himself in the mirror and asked what had happened to him, almost like he had been asleep for many years and suddenly woken up. Didn't see this transformation myself but my brother did and he was amazed at the way Dad was talking and making plans for the future. I suppose once the steroid wore off, so did the effect.

If steroids do produce such transformations why are steroids not prescribed?

Thought this is very interesting. I hope he continues to make good progress. Just out of interest, was he given steroids.

Duffer

Aug 15, 2012
Maidstone, Kent
Hi Vaz
Not to the best of my knowledge

Carol[

QUOTE=vaz;711356]Thought this is very interesting. I hope he continues to make good progress. Just out of interest, was he given steroids.[/QUOTE]

Duffer

Aug 15, 2012
Maidstone, Kent
Hi
I have a care review meeting with the CH manager on Tuesday. I have already asked them to mention the dramatic change to the doctor when she visits this week. I shall make a point of checking all the medication he has received since arriving at the CH.

I will keep you all updated
:)

I am very interested in your question Vaz as my Dad was given a steroid just over a month before he died and he was back like when he was aged 50 - looked at himself in the mirror and asked what had happened to him, almost like he had been asleep for many years and suddenly woken up. Didn't see this transformation myself but my brother did and he was amazed at the way Dad was talking and making plans for the future. I suppose once the steroid wore off, so did the effect.

If steroids do produce such transformations why are steroids not prescribed?