Memory Test at Home

Navara

Nov 30, 2012
Has anyone had one of these memory assessments which they do at the persons home address? If so what format is it likely to take and how long will it last?

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Orientation Maximum Score*Patient Score*

What is the (year) (season) (date) (day) (month)?

Where are we? (state) (country) (town) (hospital) (floor)

Registration
Name 3 objects:
Examiner is to say each, then ask the patient all 3 after saying them. Give 1 point for each correct answer. Then repeat them until patient learns all 3. Count trials and record.
Trials_________

Attention and calculation
Serial 7s. 1 point for each correct. Stop after 5 answers. Alternatively, spell "world" backward.

Recall

Ask for the objects repeated above. Give 1 point for each correct.

Language

Name a pencil and watch (2 points)
Repeat the following "No ifs, ands, or buts" (1 point)
Follow a 3-stage command:
"Take a paper in your right hand, fold it in half, and put it on the floor" (3 points)
Read and obey the following:
Close your eyes (1 point)
Write a sentence (1 point)
Copy design (1 point)

Total score

Assess level of consciousness along a continuum

Alert Drowsy Stupor Coma

*A score <20 is indicative of a dementia. Patients with the benign forgetfulness of senility generally score >25.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
My husband had his last memory test at home. The GP helped him with the words!!! He held the object up to him and said the first letter too!!!!

My husband tends to get about 27 or 28 and yet he has no logic at all, he doesn't know me, or accept that this is his home !!!

He thinks we are both in the army.

I do not really rate the memory test at all

Jeannette

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
My husband scored 27 when the consultant psychiatrist came to our house - though the test wasn't exactly the same as Tony has written - and he was diagnosed with Vascular dementia. the CP said his higher score was because of the level of education he had received. True? i don't know.

Harriet66

Mar 23, 2011
The psychologist assessing my husband came to our house twice - the visits were a couple of weeks apart and lasted about 2 hours each so they were tiring for him but thorough. I was asked to sit in the next room so that I could hear some of what was going on but my husband couldn't look at me to try and pick up clues [ the psychologist had already seen that he turned to me when a question was asked].

There was no pressure put on my husband to answer questions and the psychologist was lovely, very friendly and light hearted. To be honest, after the awful tests - lumbar punctures etc that he'd been through, I think the tests were light relief in comparison. Because his consultant suspected a type of sub-cortical dementia, there were more exhaustive tests - particularly of executive functioning. He actually scored very highly on his language - something that is often preserved till the very late stages of this form of dementia.

From our point of view the home visit saved a long trip to a hospital environment which was a bonus.

Hope this helps,

Harriet

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
My husband tends to get about 27 or 28 and yet he has no logic at all, he doesn't know me, or accept that this is his home !!!

He thinks we are both in the army.

I do not really rate the memory test at all
It was even higher when we went to the Memory clinic! I agree - I daresay it is just a guide and if you score badly then there must be a problem but just because you don't. it doesn't mean there isn't one.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I have never been asked to sit in another room when my mum has the test, she does look at me but i don't give her any clues. I agree the test can be flawed in that one day someone who has the test may not do very well, but ask them again in a few minutes or the next day and they may well get the answer right or be able to do what was asked of them, it just depends on what day they come for the test. Also, mum gets nervous when the CPN does the test which doesn't help matters.

sah

Apr 20, 2009
Dorset
'Saffie
My husband scored 27 when the consultant psychiatrist came to our house - though the test wasn't exactly the same as Tony has written - and he was diagnosed with Vascular dementia. the CP said his higher score was because of the level of education he had received. True? i don't know.'

I've been told -several times-that a person with dementia but an above average IQ will often score higher. My husband's consultant told me that the tests are aimed at average IQ -100- and that more able or educated people will score higher-so they adjust for that in their recommendations. My husband scored 28 in his last MME-but is unable to go round to the corner shop and buy milk tomorrow and forgot how to switch off the gas cooker the other day (oops!!!)

His score on the more detailed one ( Addenbrooks?? not sure...) has dropped 8 points in six months-so that showed that the disease is progressing. He also looks to me for clues all the time-so I went and pottered in the kitchen whilst listening-sad to hear the errors being made.

I have no real faith in the tests - so tend to email his nurse just prior to her visits and fill her in on any changes we've noticed since her last one. She said that helps a lot.

Navara

Nov 30, 2012
Thanks folks.

Good idea about emailing prior to the visit - I been wondering about that one - I've got plenty of examples and they need to know this is not just something that's started to happen very recently!

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Thank you Tony for that example of a memory test.
I have this sneaky feeling that if Mum were to take this one, under pressure as in she is being "good" for a doctor, that she might score pretty well.
Yet Mum doesn't know if she is hungry or not, she can't tell the time..... You would think they could come up with more practical things, like putting in a shoelace (which we have been doing since kids), folding a shirt, dialling successfully a phone number, telling the time, making tea or coffee, explaining how to cook their favorite recipe etc, how to get to their local bank..... at least these would be real tests of their competence to be alone or not.

One day, I might just try this one out on Mum, just for the record. Anyone know of other valid ones, so I can keep my own personal record?