LA Contract charge v self funding charge

nanlaine

Feb 13, 2012
Hi, its me again lol. Same issue really, but wondered if anybody out there has managed to self fund at the same rate as the LA. According to the citizens advice that is not an option, and that our extra bit is used to subsidise those that do not self fund. My dad is healthy in every way apart from alzheimers and is one of the easiest to look after, wondered whether I could use that as a form of expressing my disgust at having to pay the extra. If there is just one person out there that has managed this then there is hope.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I doubt it as it's not really a case of the self-funding paying more to subsidise the LA rate though this might be what the effect is, but more that the LA have a contract with the home which is for a lesser amount as they agree to fill a certain number of beds thus ensuring income for the home. Fact of life though perhaps one that doesn't sit well with some people.

nanlaine

Feb 13, 2012
ok saffie, thanks for your reply, no it doesnt sit well to be honest but like you say not a lot we can do about it, seems so unfair though. I will look into it further see if I can find a loophole, one never knows, will try looking through european laws lol.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
The LA rate is a little like cheap hotel room sites. They sell hotel rooms cheaper than the hotel itself does because they guarantee to fill rooms that the hotel allocate to them. Without the LA getting these special rates there would certainly be less care homes out there if they have to rely on self funding residents only, or to keep going the rate for self funders would be higher than it is now. Unfair it is but how we solve this I have no idea.

Jay

Last edited:

nanlaine

Feb 13, 2012
Thanks Jay, that puts it in simple terms for me, I just need to be aware and have understanding of the system, I dont want to challenge anything that I know will not do me any favours, probably better acting daft and getting them on side to interpret the whys. I have just completed the financial assessment form, dad is currently on the 12 weeks disregard, but by the end of march we will be self funding. although, I do own half of my dads house, willed to me by my mum, for reasons that dad/mum may remarry etc etc. so not sure where we stand but no doubt they will tell me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coo